New Hampshire

Two things

(1) Check your prongs!!! I was driving home from work today and noticed that I was missing a diamond from my wedding band! I drove straight to Barmakian to get it checked out.

(2) Can I change my vendor rating for Barmakian? When we purchased our wedding bands, I explained that while I wasn't active as in rock climbing, I am a fairly active person. I also said that I really didn't want to ever take my rings off, as I get really really really nervous about losing them! The salesperson told me that the band we purchased would fit my lifestyle. Today, however, the lady that helped me told me I should NEVER sleep with my band on and NEVER shower with it. She said the band I have is prone to loosened diamonds with that kind of wear. WTF. First salesperson=stupid!

Re: Two things

• edited December 2011
    Oh no! Did you find the diamond or are they replacing it for you?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    290image Made the Cut!!
    175image Are Ready to Party!!
    56image Are Party Poopers!!
    59image Still Checking the Calendar!!

• edited December 2011
    It's so tiny I don't think I'd ever find it. I was on my way home from work, so I didn't turn around to check my classroom as it would have already been swept and cleaned. :( They are replacing it for me (for $40, which I think I may try to fight - I feel a little duped).
  • edited December 2011
    I hope it works out for you! That really stinks.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    290image Made the Cut!!
    175image Are Ready to Party!!
    56image Are Party Poopers!!
    59image Still Checking the Calendar!!

• versedversed member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Interesting ... I would never consider taking my rings off to shower or sleep. That just seems strange to me. 

I hope the rings work out!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I have really bad anxiety with my ring.  I carry the box around with me.  I take it off before bed and showers but put it in our safe.  I don't trust the neighbors.

You should fight the $40.  Their Barmakian.  Its not like they wont make up the $40 on somebody else.  They're a big enough company to keep clients happy.  If you do fight it....Stress that you wouldn't have gone elsewhere because you know they take pride in keeping everyone happy and doing the right thing.  Lay it on them strong.  It'll work.
  • edited December 2011

Ugh, that sucks.  I love Barmakian, but sometimes they have the most awful people working there.  I would probably contest the charge too if they made the ring.

I always take mine off at night or when showering, but my rings are very prong-y and collect water, soap, and lotion like crazy... I have to clean them all the time!  Plus, I'm afraid I'll scratch my face up in my sleep since I tend to keep my hands near my head.  I don't think any ring really needs to be taken off for sleeping and showering... it's just a personal preference.

• edited December 2011
    The woman I spoke with yesterday told me that water and soap get in the ring during the shower, and rubbing against the sheets is bad for a ring, too. DH will probably come with me on Friday to pick it up. He's good at negotiating, haha.
  • Melissa603Melissa603 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Most people do sleep and shower with their rings on. Rubbing against sheets is bad for a ring? Next thing they will tell us rubbing against clothes is bad for rings or wearing gloves is bad...
  • edited December 2011
    Sorry that happened to you! Good luck, I think it is worth it to fight the $40.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Chica, I'm so sorry1 That is just awful.  I agree with the other ladies.  I would fight the $40! Good luck!
    Anniversary
  • DrPB2b13DrPB2b13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-hampshire_two-things?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:101Discussion:c130a144-8228-441c-9edf-4baa406a19d3Post:9f91a608-2df0-4afc-a87c-662b484f0706">Re: Two things</a>:
    [QUOTE]The woman I spoke with yesterday told me that water and soap get in the ring during the shower, and rubbing against the sheets is bad for a ring, too. DH will probably come with me on Friday to pick it up. He's good at negotiating, haha.
    Posted by chica7484[/QUOTE]

Water and soap get in the ring during a shower? Imagine that, I never would have guessed! (end sarcasm here)  I agree with Melissa's comment too, obviously clothes are going to rub against the ring, as are various types of upholstered furniture...

Seriously though, if your ring is legitimately something you don't ever want anything to happen to, put it in a box and don't look at it (I mean, if you take it out to glance at you could drop it and maybe it would fall down a hole in the floor and you'd never find it again!).  I think it's ridiculous for the saleswoman to tell you it's the wrong kind of band for your lifestyle because a prong loosened and you lost a small stone.  Rings with stones in them will be prone to needing maintenance over a lifetime of wear.

I agree you should fight the $40 charge since you haven't had it terribly long, but also see if they offer a care plan.  My ring (admittedly not from Barmakian's) was purchased with an insurance & service plan for anything that happens to the band, including loose or lost stones (the center stone isn't included, but the whole ring is insured separately) and it was something like 15% of the cost of the band.
    Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
    June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-hampshire_two-things?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:101Discussion:c130a144-8228-441c-9edf-4baa406a19d3Post:8103d88a-dfa3-45a1-a673-32977c45b45f">Re: Two things</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Two things : Water and soap get in the ring during a shower? Imagine that, I never would have guessed! (end sarcasm here)  I agree with Melissa's comment too, obviously clothes are going to rub against the ring, as are various types of upholstered furniture... 
    Posted by DrPB2b13[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>ITA with this. I think it it's absolutely ridiculous to assume that every woman is going to take her wedding and engagement rings off every time she goes to bed or showers. I take mine off only when I make meatballs (which isn't often). </div><div>Granted, Barmakian does have that "don't touch anything in Grandma's sitting room" feel to the actual store. DH bought my wedding gift there, and my in-laws are frequent shoppers, so I think I have some negotiation here. However, forty bucks is a lot of money to spend on a ring that I haven't even had on my finger for 8 months. In fact, it was just 7 months and 1 day when I brought it in. </div>
  • mariegramariegra member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am so sorry.  Hope you can negotiate the $40.  You may want to look into adding some sort of insurance policy onto your renter's or homeowner's insurance policy.  That's what we did for the e-ring and it wasn't that much.  Honestly, the ring is never taken off--but the only stone is the center stone, (no others).  Got it last May and just took it back to the Jewelers last month to have him check the prongs.  I think it's always a good idea to have your prongs checked once or twice a year.
    September 2011 Board-April Siggy Challenge-Honeymoon Pics
    imageimage
    Planning Bio-updated August 16, 2011 NH Knotties Site
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards