North Carolina

Anyone been to New Zealand?

So FI and I have decided to extend our honeymoon to two weeks and go to Fiji and either Hawaii or New Zealand.  Airfare between Fiji and Hawaii is super expensive.  So we are now eyeing New Zealand.

Has anyone been there before? We'll be going the first week of Oct which will be spring time there, but don't know quite what to expect.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

Re: Anyone been to New Zealand?

• NcsuPsychNcsuPsych member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    One of my good friends is from there. I'll shoot her an email and see what you should expect :) From what I've heard though, its a beautiful place!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I would loooove to go there. Me and DH agree that if we had all the time and money in the world, we'd go for like a month or so.

If you wind up not going to NZ, I of course highly recommend going to Hawaii  Laughing
  • alliegator8alliegator8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, we were going to go to Fiji and hawaii.  we were going to spend 5 days on Kauai and 2 on Oahu before flight home.  But plane tickets between Fiji and hawaii are unreal... $941 one way per person.  So that's when we started looking into New Zealand.  Does anyone have any other ideas instead od new Zealand for the second week?
  • chloe642chloe642 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh my goodness, if you have the option of going to NZ, DO IT!!!  I spent two weeks there after a semester abroad in Australia a few years ago, and absolutely fell in love with the country.  I even have a tattoo representing it on my arm. :)  It is still my lifelong goal to one day live there, even though FI is not at all on board with it. :)  I rented a car with some other girls and we travelled from Auckland on the north island down to the glaciers (Franz Josef and Fox) on the south island.  We saw a lot along the way, and I loved loved loved every mile of it.  It's been a few years, but if you have any questions about it or want recommendations of towns to visit, I can offer some suggestions.  I mean, just google images of the country and you can see why you have to go there. :) 
    Heather
  • alliegator8alliegator8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey Heather.  That sounds great.  I think we are going to go with a week in Fiji and a week in New Zealand.  We were looking at staying in Bay of Island or Bay of Plenty so we could do some diving.  It seemed like the resort in Bay of Islands was close to everything.  I guess you recommend renting a car for a day or two and exploring south island?  How far of a drive is it from there to say Wellington?
  • chloe642chloe642 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well,  Bay of Islands and Bay of Plenty are on the north island. I believe Bay of Islands is north of Auckland.  I didn't go that far north, but I've heard it's beautiful.  I think Bay of Plenty is south of Auckland, on the east coast. If I remember correctly, we drove from Auckland to Wellington in about a day, going through the center and east side of the island, and stopping for a couple hours in Rotorua.  It was still light when we got to Wellington, but it was fairly late in the afternoon.  We returned our car in Wellington, took the ferry across to the south island, and picked up a new car there.  My favorite part of the whole trip was driving through the Southern Alps across the south island, but you would have to decide if you want to try to fit that in your week.  I know there are usually fairly affordable flights between the islands, too, which could help you see more in a shorter amount of time.  I just typed in a sample flight roundtrip between Auckland and Christchurch (really cool city on the south island) and found one for $118 per person. 
    http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/
    Good luck planning, I am so jealous!  :)
    Heather
  • edited December 2011
    If you don't end up going to New Zealand I highly recommend Saipan or Koh Phi Phi in Thailand.  Both are amazing!  We're actually going to Saipan for a 2nd time this Christmas we love it so much.

Or you can come to Japan and I can show you around haha.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards