Moms and Maids

"Young" MOB

My Mother and i were discussing her dress for my wedding this evening, and it has turned into a full out brawl! I was picture her wearing something knee length or a little longer and slightly understated. She how ever has this imagine in her head of being the young mother of the bride (she'll be turning 40 a few months after our wedding actually) and has been sending me links ot photos of dresses that look like something that belongs at either a cheap cocktail bar (short, low cut and sparkly) or that should be on the red carpet at the Oscars! (long, covered in sequence with dramatic cuts and ruffles and such) . Does anyone see any compromise here or should i just pick my battles an dlet t

Re: "Young" MOB

• ekutlusekutlus member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, you def can't make her wear something she doesn't want to, but I would probably talk to her and explain how you envisioned her and see wear that convo goes. If she chooses to wear something you don't really like, just remember that that will not affect whether you get married or not :)

btw, I'm kind of having the same issue with my mom except it's hair. I guess sometimes it's hard to embrace your age.
    Created by Wedding Favors
  • edited December 2011
    i think its harder for her, cause when i was in high school, she was the 'yong cool mom' that all my friends loved cause she let us get away with more! she just cant let that idea of herself go, i guess i have no one to blame but myself
  • bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Let your mom wear what she wants. She is a grown woman and doesn't need to conform to any sort of vision her daughter has for her. She can dress herself and has been for many years, she doesn't need helping doing so for your wedding.

• blush64blush64 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wish my mom would wear something younger looking. My mom is always trying to cover up and dress too old. However, low cut and sequined seems a bit much.

I would talk to her and maybe find a compromise. There are so many things she could wear that can be young without being over-the-top.

When all is said it is up to her to dress herself.
  • edited December 2011
    I thank God my mom isn't like this. There is nothing sadder than a mom who looks like she is trying to steal attention from her daughter at her wedding.

There are chic MOB dresses. Do a lot of research on them and find some that maybe have some trendy elements without being over the top. Another solution could be to look at the evening department in Macy's etc.
    -This is not legal advice- Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPiclarger_image
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I agree that the best way to avoid any poor styles, from frumpy to hoochie, is to steer clear of anything from an official MOB or prom department.  Your best bet is to encourage mom to shop in the nicer department stores in their evening wear sections.  Let the salesclerks there do what they have been trained to do; steer a client in the direction of something stylish, appropriate and attractive.

I do have to wonder, respectfully, if this comes as any surprise to you.  If, as you say, your mom had the reputation of being the "young, cool, mom", I would guess that her typical everyday attire also reflected this attitude.
  • edited December 2011
    You shouldn't be arguing with your mom over this. The MOB and MOG get to choose  dresses that suit their own styles and the formality of your wedding. You only get a say in what the members of the wedding party are wearing.

I agree that the MOB dresses in the bridal shops look sort of frumpy. Check Nordstrom, Macy's or your mom's favorite store.

• edited December 2011
    Yeah, you don't get to dictate everyone's attire, only the wedding party.  Your mom is a grown woman, who is capable of dressing herself.  If she chooses something inappropriate, then she'll be the one that looks out of place.
  • LoveMuffinsLoveMuffins member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If I were in your situation, my compromise would be shooing her towards the long Oscar ones. She should wear what she wants to wear, she's obviously excited, this is a big day for her too, and although I think it's understandable not to want people staring because she's wearing a dress made for a teenager, why not let her have the dramatic gown that she wants?
    Rocking the Dress with my Bestie
    Vacation
    Married Bio
    Day Zero / Blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards