Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Unregistered gifts

We had our first shower this last saturday, and had so much fun. I just had a question about unregistered gifts. We got a few things that weren't on our registry, came with gift receipts, and weren't quite our taste.

We got a entertainment set including: margarita glasses, stemless wine glass, a pitcher, and some serving dishes from C&B. They are really cute and summer-y, four of each glasses, green glass. I have more of a classic taste, but they are really cute (margarita glasses are growing on me).

So what have you done with some items that you don't love, keep them or find something you do love.

Thanks, give me some perspective. Did you get rid of something you now regret, or did you learn to like something you didn't love when you first got it.

Re: Unregistered gifts

• hkieslinghkiesling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I voted to return them, but this partly depends on who gave them to you.  Was it a close friend or family member who will be at your house a lot?  If so, I'd feel weird about returning them, as the occassion may come up for you to use them item (esp stemware), and they would see that you didn't have them anymore.  If it's from great Aunt Edna who lives in Ohio....exchange away.
  • drdifabiodrdifabio member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Heather. I would go more with the person that gave it to you - would you hurt their feelings at all if they found out you returned it and got something else? Most people I know would be happy that I got something I loved and will use all the time rather than keeping something that will sit on the shelf, but I have a few friends that I think would be hurt.
  • edited December 2011
    Well if they gave you the Gift receipt then I don't think that their feelings would be hurt if you used it.  People who actually think/know to give a GR know that there are situations where they are necessary and sometimes things need to be exchanged - and most people would rather you exchange it for something that you will like/use than just have it sitting around collecting dust.  JMO  :)
  • laura_fettlaura_fett member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    well, to answer your question about who gave them to us, it was FI's two aunts and uncles and cousins you gave us the set. I don't think they would ever come over and see they weren't there, BUT FI's parents and sisters thought they were really nice and all that, they would notice if they weren't there.
  • KittE7KittE7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I voted to return/exchange.  I would keep them for a while and decide later tho... after your wedding, you may want to complete sets on your registry (dishes, silverware), so this credit will be useful if you have a C&B registry.

If that doesn't help the decision, think about when you'd be able to use them next. Do you have a balcony/deck? If not, how long will it be before you will have the occasion to use them for outside summer entertaining?  In our case, I would love a set like this, but it would stay in the closet until we move.

If you have wine glasses already, return the stemless.  If not, keep them.
    eight twenty-seven ten
    reviews to come, i promise
  • wittyschaffywittyschaffy member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I guess I'm in the minority but if you don't like them, I think you should return them no matter who gave them to you.  You registered for a reason and they chose not to pick something you basically told them you'd like and shouldn't get offended if you take something back because it isn't "you".

We were fortunate that most of our non registry gifts were things we'd like.  We did have some people get us stuff they thought we'd enjoy and returned.  I work for a cooking store and there was a reason we didn't register for any kitchen stuff - I have it all!  We got a couple mixing bowl sets and some other odd and end kitchen gadgety stuff that all went back.  I'm sure people meant well and didn't realize that I had a job like that but I had zero regrets returning it and getting something we would use. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards