Chit Chat
Options

Long dress vs. short

I'm not sure what board is the best for this question, so I figured "Chit Chat" must mean we can talk about anything. I'm trying to decide whether I want to wear a long wedding gown or a short dress, and I'm looking for input. Our wedding will be pretty small (right now we're thinking 60-75 guests) and I'm starting to feel like a big ballgown wedding dress might be too much for a smaller wedding. Anyone have input on short vs. long? I started thinking short when I saw a really pretty Sue Wong dress that is above the knee, with lots of beading and 3/4 sleeves. It's unusual to find sleeves of any kind, it seems. Anyone care to weigh in on this?

Re: Long dress vs. short

• Options
    I think you should wear whatever makes you feel gorgeous. There are also plenty of long dresses that aren't ballgowns. Honestly, I might think twice if I were a guest for a small wedding and the bride wore a huge gown, but I'm also not a fan of ballgowns at all. Wear what makes you happy :) 
  • Options
    We had 80 people at our wedding andI wore a long a-line lace dress.   I agree that the size of the wedding has nothing to do with what kind of dress is appropriate.  You will want to match the formality of the dress to the formality of the event (venue, time of day, etc), but there is a lot of room for interpretationin this. Bottom line -- wear what you love and what makes you feel beautiful:-)
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    I also agree that the size of the wedding need not dictate the length of your dress. I considered a shorter gown but in the end I decided to go full-length as there are so few opportunities in life to get so 'dressed up'. I also think that if you're on the fence you're less likely to regret it if you go classic. That said, if you know that you'll be more comortable and feel more beautiful or more like yourself in a shorter dress, you should do it. 
  • Options
    I wore a tea-length, long-sleeved cocktail suit, kind of like what Carrie wore when she married Mr. Big at the courthouse.  Don't regret not wearing a long dress at all.

And I wanted to add that you could get more detailed answers about this on the board called "ATTIRE AND ACCESSORIES."
  • Options
    I wore a tea-length dress, loved it, and would not have changed a thing. It was exactly what I always wanted, and I couldn't have been happier. Also, we had a relatively casual outdoor wedding in a park, and I didn't have to worry about getting my dress dirty or bustling it to dance.

That being said, bridal consultants looked at me like I had three heads when asking for  tea-length, and you don't have a whole lot of options. I had a very specific style in mind, so it took a while for me to find it.

You just have to try things on and see what you prefer/look best in.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I had a very small wedding, and found the largest, most impossibly silly ballgown I could get my hands on.  I freakin loved it!  Pick the dress that speaks to your heart, to heck with everything else.

Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    Thanks everyone for the great advice. I hadn't thought of it in terms of using the degree of formality as my guide, but now it seems so obvious! I think my fiance and I will work first on kind of defining what our wedding will be like. Thanks again!
  • Options
    You could look at those convertible dresses. Long for the ceremony, shorter for the reception.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards