Snarky Brides

Good Deeds?

I was at work last night (I work at a restaurant a few days during the week) and this little old lady came in.  She had to be about 85.  She got dinner and a soda.  I gave her the check and she gave me her credit card.  I ran it and it was declined.

When I asked her (very nicely) if she had another card because that one wasnt going through, she said she didnt have any other payment and got really nervous and looked scared and her hands started shaking.  It absolutely broke my heart.

I told her not to worry about it and told her it must just be the machine.  I paid for her dinner.

Have you done or witnessed any good deeds lately?
045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
BabyFruit Ticker
DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!

Re: Good Deeds?

• TheCranberryTheCranberry member
    First Comment
    edited April 2011
    That's really sweet of you, Blue.  I helped a lady get her heavy baby carriage up the subway stairs this morning.  I feel so bad for those women so I always try to help when I can.

ETA: How cynical am I that it flashed through my mind that it's a scam and this is her way of getting free meals?  I've been in NYC too long.  Haha.

An aside, remember how on TV they would show people's credit cards getting declined and then the person would clip them in half?  Did that ever happen in real life?  It's not like you got a notice to cut up her card when it didn't go through.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_good-deeds?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d4d2b598-578f-423a-bd15-f259ca7b0c53Post:1da81f73-761a-4737-831f-e70cbe9fcebd">Re: Good Deeds?</a>:
    [QUOTE]That's really sweet of you, Blue.  I helped a lady get her heavy baby carriage up the subway stairs this morning.  I feel so bad for those women so I always try to help when I can. ETA: How cynical am I that it flashed through my mind that it's a scam and this is her way of getting free meals?  I've been in NYC too long.  Haha. An aside, <strong>remember how on TV they would show people's credit cards getting declined and then the person would clip them in half?  Did that ever happen in real life?  It's not like you got a notice to cut up her card when it didn't go through.
    </strong>Posted by TheCranberry[/QUOTE]

Oprah just talked about this happening to her when she first moved to Chicago.

I don't have any good deeds this week. This weather has me pretty grumpy.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Poor lady.  It was nice of you to do that, Blue.

Cran - when I tended bar in a Westin hotel there were two occasions I was prompted to call American Express regarding the pending transaction.  I was then instructed to cut the card in half in front of the customer.  It was very weird to do, and (needless to say) the customers were NOT happy.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Wrkn925Wrkn925 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2011

Cran, I think that would be illegal.  My CC has been declined before when systems were down and the money was there.

I haven't done a good deed lately, and this thread is making me feel like a poo head.

ETA: Guess it isn't...hmp.  But I've never actually had to call a CC company.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Last week at the grocery store a nice old lady was in front of me in line and all she was buying was a box of $1 cake mix. She swiped her card a few times and it wasn't working. She tried again and the cashier told her that the card wouldn't work. The lady looked so sad and genuinly distraught and said, "I don't understand. I just want to make a cake for my grandson's birthday." She started tearing up and of course, so did I. So I told the cashier just to put the mix on my bill. The old lady thanked me and was so happy that she would be able to make her grandson's cake, since that's all she could give him. Then I had a meltdown in the parking lot because it made me horribly sad that a nice little old lady didn't even have a dollar to make a cake. :(
  • I found $5 in the parking lot of my brother's school yesterday. I was super excited but then I saw a girl frantically searching her pockets and her car. I asked her if she lost money and then gave it back to her.
  • Mara- that is so sweet.  I dont know what it is about old people.  They are like the only people I have a soft spot for.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Blue and Mara, you two are so sweet!

The only good deed I've done recently that I can remember is this morning while I was pumping gas, I grabbed a paper towel to clean off the gunk on my wiper blades. While I was on my way to toss the paper towel into the garbage, I picked up two other wadded up paper towels on the ground by my car and tossed them out, too.

Wow, run-on sentence!
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_good-deeds?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d4d2b598-578f-423a-bd15-f259ca7b0c53Post:9588a0ec-cf6a-450b-93d1-17be7478b0bd">Re: Good Deeds?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Mara- that is so sweet.  I dont know what it is about old people.  They are like the only people I have a soft spot for.
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]
    Me too! I probably wouldn't have done it for a younger person (and if that makes me an asshole so be it). But the old lady was so nice and I think maybe a little senile, I couldn't not help her.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_good-deeds?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d4d2b598-578f-423a-bd15-f259ca7b0c53Post:d0ca98c6-d8a8-46c5-8e41-70a38dd4c3ad">Re: Good Deeds?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Good Deeds? : Me too! I probably wouldn't have done it for a younger person (and if that makes me an asshole so be it). But the old lady was so nice and I think maybe a little senile, I couldn't not help her.
    Posted by maratea[/QUOTE]

I think maybe its because my Grandfather is almost 90 and I see the things that he goes through,  the fear that comes with being old, etc.  I dont know, I just feel like old people shouldnt have to worry about money.  She was also the smallest thing ever.  Probably 5' tall and 80 pounds.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Aww that's so sweet.

When we were about to leave Easter Vigil mass (it was midnight) I noticed that more than half the people who had attended just left their candles and programs all over the floor/chairs. The two ladies who would have been in charge of picking them up are rather old. I figured they wouldn't want to be bending over picking all that stuff up. Plus, I figured they'd want to get home ASAP to sleep and be ready for morning mass. So FI and I picked all of the up. Between the two of us, it took no time at all. They seemed rather relieved.
  • I don't think I've done a single good deed lately. I suck as a human being, I guess. I try to do things when I can but most of the time it's really small, like grabbing the mail for H's customers when I'm heading up to talk to them (the old ones who can't walk well). 

When I go to the store I secretely hope for opportunities like what Mara described. And I've always wished I could afford paying for people's meals, like when I read about people paying for soldiers' meals at restaurants.  
  • Aww such sweet good deeds! :)

I found two dogs running around in the street and I took them both home and attempted to contacted the owner...the owner wouldn't answer and I was unable to keep the dogs so I took them to the vet and keep calling back to see if they were picked up. The next day the owner called and thanked me over and over for taking in his dogs..he said he they ran outside on his way to work and he couldn't find them and he locked himself out of his house..poor guy. 
  • On Good Friday, we went to breakfast at our favorite restaurant.  There was only one guy in the kitchen and one man as waiter.  The tables were emptying out and he couldn't keep up with busing.  So FI and I asked if we could help and we started clearing tables for him.  Two other regular patrons got up and started helping.  It took us about 5 minutes to clear a bunch of tables and re-set them.  We were all joking and laughing with each other.  It was neat.

• I have a soft spot for old people too.  I grew up being very close to my grandmother and great-grandmother so I think that's why.

LesPaul, what did the Amex person say to you on the phone?  Did they say why you had to cut up the card (fraud, over the limit, etc).  What did the customer do?  I would be PISSED!  And so embarassed.
  • I haven't done any random acts, but I organized a park clean-up for Earth Day.  I also volunteer at a nursing home.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • K&J64K&J64 member
    First Comment
    edited April 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_good-deeds?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d4d2b598-578f-423a-bd15-f259ca7b0c53Post:f06e7dc9-7cc1-4dd9-8db4-95b572d0270c">Good Deeds?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was at work last night (I work at a restaurant a few days during the week) and this little old lady came in.  She had to be about 85.  She got dinner and a soda.  I gave her the check and she gave me her credit card.  I ran it and it was declined. When I asked her (very nicely) if she had another card because that one wasnt going through, she said she didnt have any other payment and got really nervous and looked scared and her hands started shaking.  It absolutely broke my heart. I told her not to worry about it and told her it must just be the machine.  I paid for her dinner. Have you done or witnessed any good deeds lately?
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

I don't really know if I have anything to add but Blue this made me all teary eyed. I have a soft spot for the elderly and that was just so very kind of you. You're good people, I have a tremendous amount of respect for you.

ETA: Mara you put me over the edge. You two have a lot of good karma coming your way I think.

Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_good-deeds?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d4d2b598-578f-423a-bd15-f259ca7b0c53Post:a47c6359-c0b4-4d42-ad2a-7cb07bfd9289">Re: Good Deeds?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I LesPaul, what did the Amex person say to you on the phone?  Did they say why you had to cut up the card (fraud, over the limit, etc).  What did the customer do?  I would be PISSED!  And so embarassed.
    Posted by TheCranberry[/QUOTE]

It was unusual to be asked to call them (not your ordinary decline on the card).  They asked if the customer was sitting there, and I said yes, then they said to cut it in half in front of him.  They didn't really give me a reason, but it must have been pretty serious to go that far.  I checked with the manager and food & beverage director before doing it.  The customer was VERY angry.  And I still had to collect another form of payment - awkward!
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Dot Dash, that is horrible!!  I can't believe they would not arrange for their children to have dinner or a ride home so late at night!!  What age group is this? 

When I was in middle school, my mom and most of my friends' parents worked.  When we had late afterschool activities or school dances, they would take turns dropping us off/picking us up.  Sometimes we'd stay over at each others' houses until our parents could get us.  I know it's hard for working parents to arrange stuff like this, but good grief.  If you have a group of people can't you rotate it so that each parent only has to carpool once/twice a week or something like that?

LesPaul, that IS awkward.
  • Earlier in the week I was going to the grocery store...it must have been Tuesday. Well anyway, I went after work and this little boy came up to me and said "If you're a real cop lady...I can't find my daddy." He must have been about 5 years old at best. I picked him up and took him to the front of the store where they paged for his dad over the system. His dad had been looking all over for him (he wandered off to find something but never said what). I gave him one of the stickers that I keep in my car for little kids...as a reward for being brave or doing something good (calling 911, sitting through a questioning...stuff like that) and his face lit up brighter than the sun...and OH, his little giggle was the cutest thing I've ever heard.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • I would do the same... I like old people and babies! (everyone else is lovely too... most days) GO YOU! 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_good-deeds?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d4d2b598-578f-423a-bd15-f259ca7b0c53Post:0efc6965-f9f8-4db4-9468-f8e2a8709dbb">Re: Good Deeds?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Good Deeds? : I don't really know if I have anything to add but Blue this made me all teary eyed. I have a soft spot for the elderly and that was just so very kind of you. You're good people, I have a tremendous amount of respect for you. ETA: Mara you put me over the edge. You two have a lot of good karma coming your way I think.
    Posted by kcullen37[/QUOTE]

Yup. All of this.

This is going to make me sound like a big baby but I'll say it anyway. There have been times that I've been driving and I'll pass a very elderly person who is taking a walk somewhere. Sometimes they just look pleasant like they're enjoying the fresh air and other time they look sweet, yet haggard or sad. And it never fails - I start to tear up as I'm driving.

I think about what kind of lives they might have had, the things they've been through. Whether they're family is still around and so on. It just makes me sad.

I don't know if any of you have seen the movie "Into The Wild" but the old man in that movie makes me cry every time because he's alone. My heart aches for people like that.

Anyway, this thread made me realize that I don't feel like I do enough good deeds. I mean, I'll hold doors open or pick up things for people if they've dropped it...little things I guess.

The last thing I can think of was during this past winter I stopped in NJ to get gas (because it's cheaper, haha). In NJ it's full serve and these guys are out there all bundled up all day pumping gas. Well one guy had just collected cash from someone and I guess a few bills slipped from his hand as he was walking. I saw it on the ground and it was starting to blow away. I rolled down my window and started to shout and point to it so he could go grab it. I know that's not a great thing, but I'm sure there are some people who wouldn't have thought twice about pulling up and snatching the money. It looked to be about $60 or so.
  • I was shopping and the guy ahead of me was using his WIC benefits to buy healthy food clearly intended for a few young kids.  They gave him grief cause he could only buy 6 bananas with the credit but he was trying to get them instead of more apples because his one kid couldn't eat apples.  He was getting upset and I felt bad.  I bought the extra bananas and a box of tampons that weren't included.  I have no problems helping those that clearly are following the rules.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards