Attire & Accessories Forum

Is this idea nuts?

I am having a hard time finding a wedding gown that fits my taste and the style of my wedding.  It is casual, only 40 people, no attendants, and outside by a lake.  I would really like a simple tea-length dress and I can't seem to find any that I like.  BUT, I have found quite a lot of bridesmaid dresses which I love and are exactly what I'm looking for, and even come in white and ivory.

Is it totally wacko to consider wearing a bridesmaid dress as my wedding gown?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Is this idea nuts?

• absolutely buy a bridesmaid dress. if it's the style you are looking for then it doesn't matter if it was made for a bridesmaid. no one will know anyways.
  • I don't think it's nuts at all!  A lot of BM gowns are formal enough to pass as wedding gowns.  Purchasing one in white is a cheap alternative to the usual gown (I've actually thought about this myself as we're on a tight budget).  Nobody would even know the difference!

So I say if you want to wear a BM dress, go for it!
    Follow Me on Pinterest Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photobucket Photobucket
  • Its actually done more often than you would think. If its the style you are looking for then I say go for it.

• i would if you like it then why not.
  • Perfectly fine.  It's not like people will stand there and point and say "hey, that's just a white bridesmaid dress... you're not a real bride!"  
    I think it's a great idea, especially for more causal weddings where a traditional wedding dress doesn't quite fit your style!
  • A garment isn't blessed by magic fairies and sewn by singing mice just because it's called a wedding gown.  The only difference is a price increase.

If the dress that works best for your wedding and makes you feel like a bride happens to be marketed as a bridesmaid dress, who cares?
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Go for it! I looked at bridesmaids dresses for ages when we were considering a beach wedding. Almost all of them come in white and I think it would be a lot easier for you to find what you're looking for if you went in that direction.
  • Who are these crazies voting "yes"???

Of course it's not wacko, in fact it's SMART!
  • haha! Whoops!

You have one question- is it wacko,? HECK NO!
    Then you ask can I do it? Yes!

THAT is why people are voting no!
  • If there is one that you love, but it is labeled as a bridesmaid dress, why would that stop you!  I say go for it!!
  • I think a white bridesmaid's dress is a great idea and if that's what you want you should go for it.

I just wanted to share with you a DB gown I really loved when I tried it on, as it may be close to what you were looking for:

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Organza-tea-length-with-Metallic-Embroidery-VW8897_Bridal-Gowns-Features-All-Gowns
    murrayed
  • Do it!! Get the dress you love! Absolutely NOBODY will look at you and think..."Why is she wearing a bridesmaid dress??"

And I agree...your poll was confusing. You used an opposite question in the box than you did in the post. I voted "no" because I thought the question was "Is it wacko..."
  • LOL - I did the same thing - I voted no because I thought the question was is it wacko?

Its a great idea. Get what you like!
  • Damn, I answered NO to the IS THIS WACKO question and not the actual question too. Anyway, you can wear anything you want! It's YOUR wedding! Whatever makes you feel speacial and beautiful is right!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Totally! DO IT! Plus you'll save some bucks.
  • Ooops...I  mistakenly voted no (in answer to your question "Is it totally wacko to consider wearing a bridesmaid dress as my wedding gown?")

What I meant to respond was YES, to "Can I wear a bridesmaid dress as my wedding gown?"
  • deb84deb84 member
    First Comment
    Of course you can do this! My sister-in-law did for her and my brother's wedding.  She looked gorgeous and no one knew the difference!  A lot of people even commented on how "her" her wedding gown was. ;)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • Also check out regular dresses, and prom dresses. I've seen a lot of much cheaper prom dresses that are simpler in style and come in white. I also accidently put no btw. Good luck on your dress search!
  • Ok i voted "NO" because i thought the question was is it wacko! DO IT, perfectly acceptable!!!!!!! Its a great idea.
  • If you like the dress.. if it's "The One' who cares if it's from the bridal selection or from JCPenny off the rack! 
  • edited June 2010
    its not nuts! My dress is a bridesmaids dress. Who cares I love it and thats all that matters!!!
    My dress:

• I accidentally clicked the wrong answer (I hit No, when I meant to hit Yes). 

I think it is a GREAT idea.  I'm sure everyone said the valid reasons above.  It's all about what you love and what you want to wear.  Particularly with a lakeside, casual wedding, most BM gowns would fit PERFECTLY.

Good luck, I hope you find what you are looking for!
  • lei7lei7 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Of course! Go for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards