North Carolina

Trouble With Colors

I need some help!! My fiance and I just got engaged and we are hoping to get married in June 2012. His only request is that the wedding either be on the beach or in a garden and I have agreed; however I am having a lot of trouble picking out colors. I was thinking maybe a navy blue would look good against the ocean or a purple but I am really not sure. I know that I definitely do not want pink! I feel as though pink would be very washed out..

I just need a color scheme that would work. Any advice??? I would love to hear ideas! Especially for beach and garden weddings!

Thanks
Kristin

Re: Trouble With Colors

• NcsuPsychNcsuPsych member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Im not that great with colors. . .I went with shades of purple and then a nice silver as an accent (had white tableclothes).

but really. . . if you're set on picking colors now. .head over the lowes or something and grab paint swatches and mix and match. There are soooo many different shades of color its hard to pin down some instantly.

Honestly though. . you're mostly likely going to change your colors multiple times between now and youre wedding so I would just start getting ideas and not start buying stuff in those colors.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • klaphamklapham member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like the idea of the swatches! I like the idea of purple and silver but how are you incorporating the silver??

Honestly, I am not buying anything yet. I have a game plan in my head which is GET THE VENUE FIRST and everything else will follow suit. Hopefully we will have a venue and date picked out by June, and then I will start actually BUYING things. I was just trying to think of good beach colors if we do have a beach ceremony. And I need all the help I can get! 
  • SD3194SD3194 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good luck with that...I've changed my colors probably 6 times lol. We're having our wedding near the beach and I think our colors will be some kindof variation of blue and pink. Maybe teal and light pink, or navy blue and hot pink...who knows. Try googling wedding colors and stuff like that, tons of pictures will come up. Good luck!
  • NcsuPsychNcsuPsych member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_trouble-colors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:115Discussion:fb74d97d-abb9-4cfc-83f2-9f6eac3fd5b0Post:beb218cc-1be0-4222-93fb-e1c9b3cd50e7">Re: Trouble With Colors</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like the idea of the swatches! I like the idea of purple and silver but how are you incorporating the silver?? Honestly, I am not buying anything yet. I have a game plan in my head which is GET THE VENUE FIRST and everything else will follow suit. Hopefully we will have a venue and date picked out by June, and then I will start actually BUYING things. I was just trying to think of good beach colors if we do have a beach ceremony. And I need all the help I can get! 
    Posted by klapham[/QUOTE]

Soundsl ike a good plan. Once we had our venue, everything just seemed to fall into place.

Our BM dresses were lapis (dark purple), table overlays were a dark shimmer purple, and other different things had hints of purple in them. The silver was in the serving trays we bought, we had mirrors on the tables (for centerpeices/candles to sit on. . .they brought out hints of silver), and some of the other items had silver in them.

It turned out very nice and beautiful. Worked a lot better than I had originally thought. hah.

Def. google different ideas as you can  find thousands of pictures of 'color inspiration' :o)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • klaphamklapham member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Googling will work as well! :)  I may just bring my future mother-in-law to the beach and have her tell me her "vision of color." The woman makes jewelery for a living and owns her own gallery so color is her thing! But who knows! I love talking on these message boards so keep the comments coming! I am always open to ideas

• edited December 2011
    i definitely second the idea of the venue first- unless you're deadset on a color scheme- if so, you'll need to choose a venue that fits that vision. However, like everyone else, I changed my colors a bunch of times!

if you go with the garden site, i personally think it looks really pretty with a bunch of "wildflower" type colors that match what's in season- purple, bright pink (not your fave, I know LOL!), yellow, orange, etc.

for beach, i've seen everything done! one of my fave beach colors though is tiffany blue.

GL!
    image122 Made the list!
    image 89 Are ready to party!
    image 11 Will be missing out!
    image 22 Can't find the mailbox!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ecuchikaecuchika member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think teal blue would be beautiful for an ocean wedding.  Bright vribrant colors jump out to me when I think of an ocean wedding.  As for pink-i understand if you don't like it but i think bright pink wouldn't be washed out as much as carnination pink.  I would have never thought of my colors in my life but it just so happend to fall into place with sangria (coral pinkish orange) and navy blue.  GL
  • edited December 2011
    I totally agree with picking the venue first!  We changed colors so many times before we settled on anything!  We are in an outdoor B & B setting with tons of flowers and are doing shades of green (it was originally kelly green, but it's hard to stay with just THAT color) and purple, staying away from pastels though.  I like bright colors in outdoor settings to pop against them!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    April 2011 Siggy Challenge: Hair
  • klaphamklapham member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was just talking to Chris (my wonderful fiance) and he was saying a light blue with a faded orange to represent the sky as the sun was setting but I kind of like navy blue. Maybe with orange and pink flowers???

IDK!! So much to think about! We are hopefully looking a place this weekend, but we shall see. Also MY FELLOW BEACH BRIDES: Can you have 200-250 people for a beach wedding? I doubt 250 will show up but we are probably inviting close to that....

Like I said! I love the comments and keep them coming!
  • SD3194SD3194 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't see why you couldn't. That's alot of chairs to get set up on a beach but I think it's totally doable. We had a large guest list at first but had a difficult time finding venues to fit that many people so we scaled back. Hope you find something that works out!
  • Beth0882Beth0882 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out http://theperfectpalette.blogspot.com/ Almost every day the blogger posts different color combos with inspiration boards.  Maybe once you have your venue, browsing through there will give you some ideas! 
  • edited December 2011
    I love the navy blue idea. That against the white of your dress just looks so crisp and clean! Maybe you can throw in a little green if you have it in the garden or a lighter blue for the ocean.

I also think that light blue and yellow looks really good together. You definitely don't have to decide anything right away though. You have time to think things through and play out different things in your mind.

Maybe you can try to make some different inspiration boards with those different colors?
  • klaphamklapham member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

So all day I have playing with color combos online (which I know sounds obsessive but I am a SPED teacher so my days are filled to brink some days and I don't know when the next time I can do something like that will be) and I think for a garden wedding I have decided on dark purple bridesmaid dresses. The flowers would be yellow, orange, and pink (all my FI's idea to represent a "sunset" to incorporate the beach..gotta love him). So that will be our garden color palette. :) Our beach color palette is still in the air. I still like the navy blue with maybe the same color flowers. But who knows!

I am checking out the perfectpalete website to play around! Keep ideas coming :)

• edited December 2011
    My fiance and I were going to do a beach wedding, and at the time, I was thinking navy and aqua. I just went to a wedding in the OBX (that was a little on the formal side because they got married on New Years in a 'chapel by the sea') where the bridesmaids wore navy blue, the bride wore a silk dress with a pewter/grey sash, the flower girl wore a dress that was white on top, grey on the bottom. They all looked stunning and I thought the color combo was really classy (a little less Summery though).

I am just curious what beach you are thinking about. The reason why we decided to have it closer to home was because our guest list was at 170 and we couldn't find a venue that would hold that many people for our reception! 
  • NJdevils155NJdevils155 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I personally love the royal blue. It's called Horizon at David's Bridal. It's actually the color my fiance picked out (to bring out his blue eyes, he loves everything blue lol), I wasn't crazy about it until I saw it in person. I google imaged royal blue wedding reception and it really popped as a chair sash on white linens and i saw bridesmaids that looked fabulous in the royal blue.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards