Michigan-Detroit

Cake Tasting Fee??

I am just getting into looking at bakeries but never thought about a cake tasting fee. Ive noticed that some bakeries don't charge them but some do. This could get expensive!! How much did you pay for your cake tasting? Where did you go?

Re: Cake Tasting Fee??

• I only did my "cake tasting" at Just Baked, they gave me 9 cupcakes for free to taste test some of the different flavors. I'd had their stuff before and liked it - I knew I wanted cupcakes at the wedding so it made sense to go with them (plus, CHEAP!)

They typically only do 6 free cupcakes for a tasting, but I liked that they just handed me the cupcakes and I got to take them home. FI and I ended up splitting them into 6ths and letting our familliy and friends taste with us to get a better idea of what everyone liked.

If you're interested in cupcakes at all, I do recommend them. Just send an e-mail to them via their web site and they will set up a place you can pick up the flavor cupcakes you're interested in trying. They have been VERY helpful and kind.
  • edited December 2011
    I tried cakes at Home Bakery and at Josef's and neither one charged me a fee. At Home we got a slice of each type of cake. At Josef's we got 6in decorated cakes of each type. We went with Josef's because the cake was soooo good and was 1/3 the cost of Home. Out of curiosity, what bakeries are you looking at?
  • We did 3 cake tastings and none of them charged

Sweet Nothings in Wyandotte, Sweet Tooth in Allen Park, and Cakes by Stephanie in Monroe (they gave us a huge sampler and then let us order 2 more flavors to try for free!)

I would also like to know what ones charge
    I can't imagine paying more than $5 or so for a few bites of cake
  • None of the bakeries we tested charged a fee, but at the same time it wouldn't surprise me
  • We had already contracted with Holiday Market as our caterer, and went for a cake tasting. They made a small, decorated 8" cake, all in yellow batter, but had 4 different fillings marked on the cake plate. It was enough for 4 of us to get a taste, and there was no fee.
  • edited December 2011
    Dream Cakes in Commerce has a $25 fee for the cake tasting consultation. I was shocked!! But after seeing all these places without a fee, I will most likely go elsewhere. Thank you for all of the feedback.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_cake-tasting-fee?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:78796431-e932-407f-aea2-d2403779617cPost:d8c7c77a-67e7-4bd4-a647-e61e1de25295">Re: Cake Tasting Fee??</a>:
    [QUOTE]We did 3 cake tastings and none of them charged Sweet Nothings in Wyandotte,<strong> Sweet Tooth in Allen Park</strong>, and Cakes by Stephanie in Monroe (they gave us a huge sampler and then let us order 2 more flavors to try for free!) I would also like to know what ones charge I can't imagine paying more than $5 or so for a few bites of cake
    Posted by db1985[/QUOTE]

<div>My FSIL had a horrific experience with them at her wedding. They didn't bring the cake she ordered! They ended up bringing something completely different, that looked like it was just hanging around in the bakery and they realized they had to be at a wedding in a few hours. </div><div>
    </div><div>With our venue(Laurel Manor) we get a cake from Cakes by Stephanie, I'm hoping she is good but I've heard reviews that the cake is dry. </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I had a tasting at Sorella's Bakery in Livonia and there was supposed to be a fee of 50 cents per sample beyond a certain number that was free. I really didn't know what I wanted so I tried quite a few. They ended up not charging us though and I had enough to take home for my dad. Their cake is really moist and delicious and their decorations are beautiful, so there's another option for you!
    185829_10150421989590405_571240404_17334789_3544435_n April 2012 Siggy Challenge Furry Babies Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Ours was $25 for cake tasting!
    Anniversary
  • I paid $20 but that was for 3 actual small cakes that she made specifically for me to taste. I think it was reasonable because it went towards the cost of our cake since we hired her.
  • I didn't pay for a cake tasting fee...but that's because we used a family friend. Personally, anything more than $20 seems like a lot to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards