Massachusetts

Reception Venues: What kind to choose?

Hi all!! Brand new to all of this and in desperate need of advice!!
Planning a May 2013 wedding, and am struggling to get started (haven't booked anything yet, and even our date is tentative depending on availability)...

We're going to have our ceremony at a Catholic Church in the area (Agawam, West Springfield, or Westfield), so I'm looking at reception venues within about a half hour drive (hopefully 1/2 hr at max) of the church.

My issue is: What type of venue for the reception??
Hotel? Country Club? Restaurant? Banquet Hall?
There are so many different types of venues, and I was curious if anyone had any insight into general pros and cons of each venue type. Obviously everyone will have personal stories about particular places, and I welcome those as well... But I'm just trying to narrow my search a bit, and I'm wondering if there's things in general that are similar/different depending on the venue type.

For example, I'm getting the impression that most people that choose Country Club venues for the reception also usually have the ceremony there as well (which won't be the case for me, so maybe I should rule those out?)... I know every rule can be broken, etc...

I don't have anyone close to me that's local that has gotten married within the last decade, so I'm hoping for some expert advise here from some wise knotties!
Thanks!!

P.S. If it matters, we're looking at a budget of somewhere in the $10K-$15K range... hoping to keep it on the low end if possible.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

May 2013 - January - Cake Inspiration!

Re: Reception Venues: What kind to choose?

• edited December 2011
    How many people are you looking at? I love the Springfield Marriott. The people there are great!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • khuxleykhuxley member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Yes, how many people? A lot of places will post information online so you could price compare. You can definitely have just a reception at a country club. I am getting married at th Log Cabin in June but we are having our ceremony in a church. When you look online just check what is included in the packages, some may be a little more expensive but include centerpieces or alcohol, ect. while others may be cheap but don't have anything included. I had a hard time initially picturing what I wanted my wedding to "look" like. But just imagine yourself at these different places and see what you like.
    Country clubs have nice views and the rooms inside can be nice too. I really don't think you should rule out country clubs because of the ceremony thing. You could take pictures there outside and then enjoy a night inside with beautiful views depending on where the windows are.
    Places that may be local- Tekoa CC, Log Cabin, Delaney House, a lot of hotels in springfield, East Mountain Country Club. I think you just need to start looking into what different places offer.

Good Luck!

Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • DivaJenDDivaJenD member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Sorry - # of people would help.
    We're looking at around 125 people.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• edited December 2011
    Do you have an idea of what style of reception you want?  Black tie formal or backyard picnic?  Do you want the venue to provide the catering or do you want to use/find your own caterer?  A standard banquet room with drop ceilings or a historic building with unique architecture?
    I would definitely try and keep the reception close to the ceremony for the guests' sake - though if you're not sure which church you're getting married in, half an hour from Agawam is going to be closer to an hour from Westfield. 
  • DivaJenDDivaJenD member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I think part of my problem is I don't know what kinds of questions to ask myself in order to narrow my search... so thanks for the follow up questions.
    I'm hoping to have a relatively formal reception... Not "black tie only" (I want people to feel relaxed of course), but definitely not a "backyard picnic" vibe.
    I'd like to find a place that has wedding packages that include food... I don't think I'm interested in bringing in a caterer.
    I think I want more of a classic vibe.. I was considering Storrowton Tavern for a moment (mostly b/c I was there for a big party a month or so ago) but I think that's too much of a rustic feel for me...  I don't want the reception to be in a plain white room with no character what-so-ever, but I want clean lines.. very classic wedding feel.
    I've been checking out websites (haven't visited anywhere yet in person) and I'm thinking probably either country club or hotel? Still not sure yet... there's just so many choices and I don't have anyone close that lives locally who is helpful with this...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards