Wedding Reception Forum

Plastic cups...tacky?

Our wedding is outdoors, and the venue only supplies the tables and chairs so we are responsible for providing the dishes, linens, etc. We are renting linen tablecloths and napkins, along with plates and silverware. We are serving beer and wine (and maybe one signature cocktail...something like vodka lemonade) and are planning on having plastic cups. We will have water bottles and cans of soda available also, so I don't see a reason to rent glass cups for water, wine, water, etc. Renting dishes is so expensive, and we are on a tight budget...I just want to make sure people won't think it is tacky to have plates and silverware for dinner, but plastic cups for drinks. I'm also worried about glasses getting broken and people drink more and more.

Re: Plastic cups...tacky?

• I dont think it's tacky at all, I think it would only seem out of place at a formal sit down plated dinner. It sounds like it would be fine for your wedding
  • We went with disposable everything.  We looked into renting dishes and silverware, but it was so expensive and we were expected to wash everything before we returned it.  With 330 in attendance, that wasn't happening!  I can tell you I never think it's tacky to have disposable for a large party, especially something outdoors.
  • My mom and dad want us to get the plastic plates and plastic silverware from Costco...the silverware is actually silver so it looks kind of real I guess. I was just worried that people would think I was being cheap or something. The rental fees are pretty expensive... $.33 per piece of silverware and $.45 per plate. And we are having around 250 people...We are doing a Mexican feast buffet (carnitas, chicken, rice, beans, tortillas...kind of like a make your own burrito bar) so maybe disposable dishes would work out better!
  • There is nothing wrong with disposable in your situation.

• DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2012
    SF, my godbrother and his wife had those utensils from Costco - we all thought they were real silver until we picked them up!  From the sounds of it, the formality of your wedding is such that disposable would be just fine.
  • I dont think its bad at all for an outdoor wedding. However, I would use clear plastic cups.

Maybe its because of the song, but red plastic cups just seem a little redneck. :)

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_plastic-cupstacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:b39af551-4d0d-4fa6-bb60-f46022d7a40fPost:edc85a46-18bb-488c-8ad1-ca0c8d451441">Re: Plastic cups...tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I dont think its bad at all for an outdoor wedding. <strong>However, I would use clear plastic cups</strong>. Maybe its because of the song, but red plastic cups just seem a little redneck. :)
    Posted by purrcatnip[/QUOTE]

Reading my mind.  And red plastic....maybe not redneck so much as Snoop Dogg or frat party.

"errybody got dey cups but dey ain't chipped in..."
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Red solo cup...I fill you up...!

Ditto the plastic rec.  We used small plastic cups like this 
  • get the plastic ones that look as close to real glasses as you can find.

and personally-i dont care what i'm drinking out of  as long as what's IN the glass is awesome.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_plastic-cupstacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:b39af551-4d0d-4fa6-bb60-f46022d7a40fPost:e900c250-d37f-42ec-bc4c-6f65068677cc">Re: Plastic cups...tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Plastic cups...tacky? : Reading my mind.  And red plastic....maybe not redneck so much as Snoop Dogg or frat party. "errybody got dey cups but dey ain't chipped in..."
    Posted by chattychiqa[/QUOTE]

You need to google Toby Keith Red Solo Cup!  REDNECK!
    Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Just because you saw it on Four Weddings, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

• I wanted to ask this question, too. I didn't think there was anything wrong with it. Honestly, we are going with plastic plates, cups and utensils (well, forks for the cake as ours is a finger-food buffet type) because 1)cost 2)our venue is outdoors/daytime 3)we couldn't find the right shade of orange in anything but plastic. We will decorate a bin to go with our theme and have everyone recycle their plastics, too. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards