Kentucky-Louisville
Options

Question about Live Ceremony Music

I was in Louisville this weekend doing a little wedding planning and I attend the St. James Art Festival.  While there, I heard two young girls playing a violin and cello and thought they sounded great and would be perfect to have at our wedding.  I spoke with their mom and got her contact info.  We're trying to detemine a reasonable price since they are kids and have only played in one wedding before which was for a relative so I'm guessing they didn't charge. 

I wasn't planning to hire a string band because we didn't really want the extra expense, but I think having them play would be really neat and would solve some other issues.  They would play music as guests arrive, as I and the bridesmaids walk down the aisle and once the ceremony is over.  Does anyone have suggestions as to what would be a reasonable price to pay?  Thanks!

Re: Question about Live Ceremony Music

• Options
    brides-motherbrides-mother member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm . . . it looks like you could get *professional* Louisville Orchestra players (and we all know they need the work right now) for $350.

http://www.louisvilleweddingmusic.com/pricesoptions.html

Anyway, it's a reference point.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If they aren't travelling, for about 2 hrs of work I'd give them each $50 - $100 depending on what you could afford. Depending on your reception costs, you could consider giving them a vendor meal as well at the reception. The girls I saw playing at St. James looked too young to travel alone, so you would possibly have to accomodate a parent as well (meal wise).
    You can also run it by the mother is she thinks $50 each is fair to make sure everyone is happy with the price ahead of time.
    Also, write up a contract, even if it's a tiny short one (what time they need to be set-up, when they can leave, what songs they will be playing, what you are paying/feeding them, etc.), and understand that often, you get what you pay for.
    But I personally think it's awesome to support young artists!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, ladies - that definitely helps.  bertke10 - I hadn't thought about putting a contract together, but that's a great idea.  I know there's a good chance they'll be some mistakes, but that doesn't bother me. 
  • Options
    How did the girls do?  I am looking for a string quartet for our wedding, but would love to find a way to cut costs.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_kentucky-louisville_question-live-ceremony-music?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:608Discussion:ee541299-7cb9-4f2d-b66e-0f22b3985753Post:76034e7b-ea26-43bb-bdcf-1ca52dbab9eb">Re: Question about Live Ceremony Music</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks, ladies - that definitely helps.  bertke10 - I hadn't thought about putting a contract together, but that's a great idea.  I know there's a good chance they'll be some mistakes, but that doesn't bother me. 
    Posted by katbeth[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards