Getting in Shape

Do you ever get in a funk?

I am thinking lately that this is too difficult and too hard to keep in shape and eat right so it's like why bother. I can't seem to keep myself motivated and on track. I can't seem to stick to anything. I need some sort of workout plan to stick to. I am losing motivation fast. 

Re: Do you ever get in a funk?

• I get this way all the time, especially when I'm not seeing results.  I just have to remind myself that I will feel better and happier if I just get moving.  I too tend to slip into all-or-nothing modes but it's important to remember that even a ten minute walk around the block is better than nothing.

For me, it's even harder to keep myself motivated to eat right than it is to work out.  So, I allow myself to have treats and try not to feel guilty about it.  Life is all about a balancing act.  You don't have to be 100% "on" all the time.

As for finding a routine you can stick to.  What types of things do you like?  Do you like to dance?  Play tennis?  Do at home DVDs work for you?  Whatever you can find that you enjoy so much that it's not a chore, you will be more likely to stick to it.

Also, if you want some great motivation and support you could join my fitness pal.  I'm on there if you want to find/friend me.  Same user name as here.  Good luck!!

Bio
    "You wore a tit dress at an AIDS party??? You need to go to the whore corner with Mara " - Blue
  • I'm not really sure what I like, Running is fun at times. My feet usually go numb on the elliptical, so I don't do that too often. I have to learn to like working out!! I like yoga and have a few dvds, but I am really cramped in my condo now, especially since there are all these wedding boxes everywhere!!! 
  • I have to constantly remind myself that it's not how I feel when I start working out, or before I work out that I should think about.  It's the feeling that I get after the workout and I have to give myself a talking to every time I don't want to work out.  I have a mental list of reasons why I need to work out, and none of them are about losing a lb or two.  My talk through usually goes like this; "Okay, yes, you're tired and it's already late and you're hungry.  You want to eat and sit and watch TV.  But you've gotta go for your run first.  Just think, you've been sitting all day, how great will it be to just run, get outside and use your body.  Feel your lungs and heart work, get your liver burning the fat, get your brain releasing those good hormones.  Just think of how great it will be to forget the day, listen to music, and make yourself sweat!  Just think of all the stress you'll get rid of and how proud you'll be for going for the run.  You don't want to feel guilty all night for not running, do you?  I'll let you have some chocolate tonight if you go..."  And so on and so on!  I'd say that 70% of the time it works.

I don't think that people like working out more than 50% of the time.  They like the results.  Another thing that keeps me from giving up is giving myself breaks.  If I can stick with it for 3 weeks, the 4th week is a break.  Usually by the end of that week I feel so bad and lazy from not working out that I'm ready to go again.
  • Amy, I like your advice...the more you say "I have to do this to lose weight" the more it becomes a chore and the harder it is to get going.

Thinking about how good I will feel when I'm finished is the best motivation for me!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards