Ohio-Columbus

Finding a priest!!!

I moved to VA at the beginning of this year and just recently got engaged (last week:)!! I am already looking for a place for the wedding; I am Catholic and know that I will have to go through marriage classes and everything months in advance. I need help finding a priest though!! I want to get married in a Catholic church in Ohio because that is where all of my family still is -- and my FH's fam is scattered througout the country. I can't find one! I have found some churches where you don't have to be registered to be married there, but you have to bring your own priest! Has anyone else had an out of town wedding and found a priest in either Columbus or Cincinnati or Dayton that would marry them, even though they weren't from the same state??? Any help would be appreciated! THANKS in advance!

Re: Finding a priest!!!

• edited December 2011
    where is your wedding going to be? or are you searching for a church too?
    i would recommend the great catholic church that FI and I joined this year. St.Mary's German Village. I love it and it's close to downtown venues too :)
  • danielle2810danielle2810 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't decided where the wedding is going to be --- most likely Dayton, but if  I can find a priest, I will go where I need to -- and plan from there.  Since I am not a member of parishes locally in Ohio, it is causing a problem.. :(
  • danielle2810danielle2810 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just checked that church out -- it looks like it could be a possibility!!! Thanks!
  • csh96csh96 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I ran into the same problems trying to find a Catholic church.  We were going to go with St. Matthews in Gahanna but we had issues getting a date or even them telling us what dates were available up front and they had a lot more hoops to jump through.  Then I found St. Mary's in German village.  It was the old style church I wanted and even H, who is not Catholic, loved the people there.  They are so welcoming!  Deacon Minner performed our ceremony and made it very nice.  Most of our guests were not Catholic and yet we got some many compliments.

image &nbsp ? image
    Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at St. Joseph's Cathedral in downtown Columbus (Broad Street).  If you aren't a member for a full year before your wedding, there is a $1,750 fee, but that includes a priest, organist, cantor, and servers.  It is a beautiful cathedral, but because it is a cathedral, they have a lot of restrictions (like 2:30 is the latest time you can get married on a Saturday, the flower girl can't throw petals, and you can't walk down the aisle to the wedding march - because it is not a traditional catholic wedding processional).  If you email the wedding coordinator, Nancy Thornock (you can get her info on their website), she'll mail you the pamphlet with all of the information.  The pamphlet also has information about the pre-cana classes offered.  If you haven't been married before, it's a one time full Saturday class.  They have one about once a month at different locations throughout the Columbus diocese.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-columbus_finding-priest?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:112Discussion:3ca152fa-9581-4bf9-b721-2817a582cc79Post:3a852c5d-e64a-46ef-824d-475299ef4d70">Finding a priest!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I moved to VA at the beginning of this year and just recently got engaged (last week:)!! I am already looking for a place for the wedding; I am Catholic and know that I will have to go through marriage classes and everything months in advance. I need help finding a priest though!! I want to get married in a Catholic church in Ohio because that is where all of my family still is -- and my FH's fam is scattered througout the country. I can't find one! I have found some churches where you don't have to be registered to be married there, but you have to bring your own priest! Has anyone else had an out of town wedding and found a priest in either Columbus or Cincinnati or Dayton that would marry them, even though they weren't from the same state??? Any help would be appreciated! THANKS in advance!
    Posted by danielle2810[/QUOTE]

Hi there! Welcome to the boards. There is also a Catholic board that might help you as you plan your wedding as well.

As far as your questions are concerned, we were in the same boat. We were living in GA (just recently moved back to central Ohio) while we were planning our wedding. Basically we had to register at a parish where we lived and go through the priest there to complete all of our pre-cana, etc. Our priest in GA was in contact with the priest that married us.

H was a member of the church we were married in, even though since he had moved away they charged us the non-parishoner fees. I do believe most Catholic churches require you to register and meet with the priest at least 6 months before your wedding date.

Where specifically are you looking at in central Ohio? We were married at St. Patrick's Catholic church in London, Ohio which is west of Columbus, between Dayton and Columbus. I completed my RCIA at a beautiful church in Powell, Ohio called St. Joan of Arc.
  • edited December 2011

Maybe try calling the diocese where you plan to get married and explain your situation. They can usually connect you to a few priests/churches that could help you out. Another suggestion is meeting with a priest face to face and explaining your situation, they may be able to help or at least connect you to other priest maybe even in another city. Best of luck it's going to be so special!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards