California-San Diego

Reception for 1,000 or less.. is it possible?

because my fiance and I are recent college grads attempting to finance our own wedding, we need the reception to be pretty cheap. that seems hard to do in San Diego. is it possible to have a reception with 100 people for $1000 or less?

Re: Reception for 1,000 or less.. is it possible?

• I'm interested in this too... I've been engaged for a week now and it seems that city-owned parks are the only sites less than $1000... like Balboa, etc.
  • Is that $1000 including food and space rental?  For 100 people?  That averages $10 a person. 

I can't imagine having a reception with food for less than $10 a person, unless all you do is punch and cake.  You may have to cut your guest list, or wait until you have more money.

• As Charlene said, the least expensive space is probably a city park.  The permit will run $100-200 dollars for that alone.  Then you have to consider tables and chairs...say you get a public park with enough picnic tables and that's all taken care of, it leaves you ~$800 dollars for food, alcohol (if you want to have it, it will probably run at least $300, considering just a keg is about that  much, at least where I live) and miscellaneous expenses (plates, silverware...all can be purchased fairly inexpensively at the store, if you're okay with plastic and paper).  I doubt you can expect to have the dinner catered for 100 people for that, which leaves you the option of preparing the food yourself (e.g., a BBQ or grill-out).  If you really want it catered and don't want to have to cook it all yourself, probably not...If you're okay with a DIY meal for 100, it's feasible.
  • I have a friend who is a chef and offered to cater. So food isn't an issue. I guess I was wondering more about rental spaces. Thanks for the help =)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-san-diego_reception-for-1000-or-less-is-it-possible?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:64Discussion:280010dd-d715-422a-b4f9-bfca50672cedPost:ee772536-14f4-4ef0-b6fc-734cfd267064">Re: Reception for 1,000 or less.. is it possible?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a friend who is a chef and offered to cater. So food isn't an issue. I guess I was wondering more about rental spaces. Thanks for the help =)
    Posted by MIssleesha4[/QUOTE]

<div>Oooh, that's lucky, as food is most of the cost!!!  Most rental spaces I found went for about $300+ <em>per hour</em>, but I didn't look much outside of the Balboa Park area (museums, gardens, etc.), so I can't speak for other venues around the city.  I'd say, with food out of the way, your chances just increased, though.  Good luck with your search!!!</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-san-diego_reception-for-1000-or-less-is-it-possible?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:64Discussion:280010dd-d715-422a-b4f9-bfca50672cedPost:ee772536-14f4-4ef0-b6fc-734cfd267064">Re: Reception for 1,000 or less.. is it possible?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a friend who is a chef and offered to cater. So food isn't an issue. I guess I was wondering more about rental spaces. Thanks for the help =)
    Posted by MIssleesha4[/QUOTE]

I only saw a few spaces that you bring your own catering in... Some of them require you to use an approved vendor list.  So it might be challenging to find a place that allows you to have anyone you want.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    engaged on 5/29/11... Kelly & Andy to be married -- September 29, 2012
  • Our ceremony and reception will be held at Rancho Guajome Adobe in Vista, CA. You get the space from 8am-8pm and it cost $1000. You can just have the reception there for less money. The don't have many restrictions. $100 if you hire a caterer or free if you cater it yourself. They also have chairs for 100 and all the tables included in the price.
  • I said this to someone else but Old Poway Park has a few rental spaces. The biggest is a Hall that holds about 80 ppl banquet style. They have a Gazebo outside that I have seen pretty large receptions at that rents for about $40/hour.
    Stephanie S.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards