Wedding Invitations & Paper

How to tell them they're not allowed...

The venue we have chosen as our reception venue does not have space for parking. Since we are deadset on this venue (it's actually our own land) we have decided that we will provide all the transportation for the guests.

We arranging two buses. There are two general areas where our guests live so we are making a central location in each of these areas for our pick up location. The buses then drop off at our chapel location, pick them up after and drop them off at our reception venue. Later, we have shuttle buses coming at 2 hour intervals to pick up guests and drop them off back at the original pick up locations.

How do I tell my guests they are NOT driving. We have decided to not included addresses of the chapel or reception venue, just the pick up locations.

I'm also thinking I should include an insert. What do you think of the wording? Any suggestions? I don't want it to sound too in your face, but I want to make it clear.
Since laws are stiff,We’re going to give you a lift! 
Bus A leaves from ______ at 1:20pm Bus B leaves from _____ at 1:45pm 
Both buses will drop guests off at the ceremony and reception venues
 At 10:30pm, 12:30am and 2:30am shuttle buses will arrive at the reception venue to pick up guests. The shuttles will unload at  ___ and ____
  There is NO parking available.Driving is strictly prohibited.

Re: How to tell them they're not allowed...

• I understand what you want to do and I suppose the wording may be OK. However this is a bad idea. Guests should not feel like they need to wait for permission to come or go. If you are going to provide transportation, it should be at closer intervals. You may also need to provide for options other than buses for guests with special needs. If you really insist upon thus, I'd hire a driver for the day but really I think you should reconsider your venue choice.
  • Fully agreed with banana.  Also, 10:30pm is pretty late for the first departure.  We started at 6pm and our first guests left at 8. 

I don't think you should omit addresses of the venues.  You should be clear that transportation is provided, but also provide an option for the nearest park+walk option.  For example, what about people who are late or miss the bus?  How would they get there?
  • I understand what you're trying to do... but this is just a messy idea.  And 1:45 to 10:30 (the shortest time you've provided) is a DAMNED long time.  Shoot, I barely spent that many hours at my OWN venue.  I'd be very unlikely to stay that long at someone else's.  I dislike not being able to leave when I want.  What if someone feels like leaving early?  What if someone feels ill/tired?  etc.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

**Current VistaPrint Groupon - $17 gets you $70(good 'til 11/8)**

**New project in the works: Follow my Twitter for more Groupon (etc) deals!**

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Bio ~ A Bride's Guide to VistaPrint * www.vistaprint-goddess.weebly.com

"In my book you're a VistaPrint goddess" --Hannah

Photobucket

• I also don't know your guest list but as a mother of a small child, this is what you're now asking me to bring on the bus if my child is welcome to attend:
    -Child in infant carrier car seat
    -Stroller for child
    -portable high chair for child (if you don't have one)
    -diaper bag with diapers, bottles, formula and change of clothing
    -Change of clothing for my husband and myself (for those times when a baby accident becomes an parent accident)
    -Baby carrier (for when wearing my daughter just makes more sense than trying to hold her).

Now when we go to a wedding in June, all of those things will be in our car and we'll only get them as needed.  But you're essentially telling me to make 4 trips onto a bus because you can't find a venue convenient for parking.

• Agree with Banana on all counts.  Are you really expecting to keep these people from 1:45 - 10:30 whether they want to stay that long or not?  What if someone needs to leave early, or for some reason runs late to the wedding and gets stuck in traffic?  Are they SOL?

If you are stuck on your venue at such a tremendous inconvenience to your guests, I really encourage you to rethink that.  At the VERY least, those shuttles should be running all the time so people can leave at will, not 9 hours after they got on the bus.

Are you inviting many elderly people or people with children?  That environment is not going to work for small children. 

Can you give us more details on why you have a scheule that keeps these people from leaving for the better part of 9 hours?  What details don't we understand?
  • I'm also a little confused as to why there's no parking if you own the land. Is there just nothing paved? I agree you need to rethink this. I hate feeling "trapped" somewhere, and with the times you have, I would reconsider attending - it's just a very, very long window. What if someone has an emergency and needs to leave?
  • I think you need to rethink your venue.  This is just annoying.  I also agree that the shuttles need to be running continuously, and that you need to offer some alternate vehicles for guests with special needs.

As for the wording, instead of trying to be cute with a rhyme, say "Parking is not available at Venue.  Parking is available at X lot, and vehicles will be available to transport you to the venue."  

If you insist on doing this, I really think you should have them both at the same location.  Taking guests from one place to the other just complicates matters and adds to the inconvenience.
  • Our friends did this.  They got married at their parents house which is on a large property but the way the land is set up there was just not enough parking for everybody.  The asked a church right up the street if they could park car there even overnight.  Then they provided a shuttle.  The difference is their ceremony and reception were both held at the same place and the shuttle ran all day. Also, they had no children at the reception and allowed the elderly to be the ones to park in the driveway.  The only time it was not available was when the wedding party used it to go into town and take pcitures and even then it was only gone for about 90 min.  If you are going to do this you must make it more convenient for your guests.
  • I completely agree with PPs. I also think you are overestimating how long people will want to stay at your reception.  Unless I'm really close with the bride and groom, I usually don't stay at receptions past 8 or 9.  Plus, if guests have a decent drive after leaving your reception, they'll want to leave earlier than 10:30.

I would also be really annoyed if I decided I was ready to leave, but was stuck there for another 2 hours.  I think your guests would be more likely to pass the time by drinking, and then you'll shuttle them to their car to drive off.  Not a great idea.

Do you have any guests that will come to the ceremony only?  How will they get back to their car?  Will they have to wait until 10:30?

What about guests that will come to the reception only?  If you don't provide an address, how will they get to the reception?  How will they find a shuttle to even get to the reception?

I think logistically, this is a nightmare.
  • 2 hour intervals are not OK.
    We have the same issue, we added to the Directions card that Parking is available at ____Park, shuttle service provided

And the shuttle will be driving from 5-about 1130/12, he'll ba available whenever someone needs to go to their car or whatever.

I probably wouldn't go if I was going to not have access to my car or be able to leave if I needed to.
  • Agreed about the 2 hour intervals. Our shuttle left our venue in 1/2 hour intervals, starting 3 hours after the reception began (the hotel was 10-15 minutes away). I also wouldn't prohibit people from parking. Can't some people park on the side of the road? If you want to cut down on parking, that's fine, but I don't know about the "Strictly prohibited" thing. I also think 2:30am is an awfully late time for a wedding reception to end, especially since the ceremony appears to be around 2:30pm.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • edited May 2011
    Okay, to further explain, Those who want to leave early will have their taxi paid home.

There are no young children, elderly are my grandparents. We're having less than 80 people all close family and friends. Our friends are college students. We have consulted with family and friends on the times that would be good for them. All guests understand where the venue is and what is going on. WE did not choose the times for buses, the guests did. However, I will be posting a different thread regarding transportation and would love all your input then!

I was asking for help with the wording though...
  • Okay, I really am not impressed by this. I've asked a question regarding wording and I'm getting told to change my venue.

YOUR wedding may be huge and over the top. Mine is not. It's a bunch of family and friends getting together and getting hammered (basically). My finace and I were told it would be better to provide transportation from EVERY SINGLE ONE OF OUR GUESTS (we can ask each of them personally because our guest list is so small). Plus, our province changed the legal alcohol limit recently and we don't want to take the chance of ANYONE drinking and driving. EVERY SINGLE PERSON WILL BE DROPPED OFF AT THE PICK UP LOCATION BY A FAMILY MEMBER/FRIENDS AND DROPPED BACK AT THEIR DOORSTEP AT THE END OF THE NIGHT. If someone really doesn't want to do that, I really could not care less. IF one of my family members or close friends chose to not come to my wedding because they wanted to have their car with them, then why would I want them at my wedding if their car is more important that spending time with us?

EVERY SINGLE GUEST has told me what THEY want, so we have followed their instructions. It doesn't matter where or what my venue is, or whether or not parking would be allowed. I DO NOT WANT MY GUESTS DRIVING. I like the idea of having a continuous shuttle and will probably use that idea (though not one guest has said they will be leaving before 11 because dinner doesn't end until 10) BUT THINGS DO HAPPEN.

My wedding is more like a backyard bbq, with VERY CLOSE FRIENDS AND FAMILY ONLY. We have done transport like this before and it worked wonderfully. Not only that, but we've arranged this with EACH AND EVERY ONE of our guests, and they have all been very enthusiastic. 

If there are no other wording suggestions...

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_tell-theyre-not-allowed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:e79a52e1-fdd4-4ad1-8d46-35088b580d4ePost:bb8fb44a-d5d2-4d12-a0ce-3d29d440c749">Re: How to tell them they're not allowed...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay, I really am not impressed by this. I've asked a question regarding wording and I'm getting told to change my venue. YOUR wedding may be huge and over the top. Mine is not. It's a bunch of family and friends getting together and getting hammered (basically). My finace and I were told it would be better to provide transportation from EVERY SINGLE ONE OF OUR GUESTS (we can ask each of them personally because our guest list is so small). Plus, our province changed the legal alcohol limit recently and we don't want to take the chance of ANYONE drinking and driving. EVERY SINGLE PERSON WILL BE DROPPED OFF AT THE PICK UP LOCATION BY A FAMILY MEMBER/FRIENDS AND DROPPED BACK AT THEIR DOORSTEP AT THE END OF THE NIGHT. If someone really doesn't want to do that, I really could not care less. IF one of my family members or close friends chose to not come to my wedding because they wanted to have their car with them, then why would I want them at my wedding if their car is more important that spending time with us? EVERY SINGLE GUEST has told me what THEY want, so we have followed their instructions. It doesn't matter where or what my venue is, or whether or not parking would be allowed. I DO NOT WANT MY GUESTS DRIVING. I like the idea of having a continuous shuttle and will probably use that idea (though not one guest has said they will be leaving before 11 because dinner doesn't end until 10) BUT THINGS DO HAPPEN. My wedding is more like a backyard bbq, with VERY CLOSE FRIENDS AND FAMILY ONLY. We have done transport like this before and it worked wonderfully. Not only that, but we've arranged this with EACH AND EVERY ONE of our guests, and they have all been very enthusiastic.  If there are no other wording suggestions...
    Posted by Shelbeanie[/QUOTE]

<div>Why are you screaming?  </div><div>
    </div><div>You need to chill out.  This is a bad idea, and people are simply trying to help you.  It may not be what you wanted to hear, but it's what you need to hear.  </div><div>
    </div><div>You did get suggestions for the wording also.  </div>
  • vicki0508vicki0508 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_tell-theyre-not-allowed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:e79a52e1-fdd4-4ad1-8d46-35088b580d4ePost:bb8fb44a-d5d2-4d12-a0ce-3d29d440c749">Re: How to tell them they're not allowed...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay, I really am not impressed by this. I've asked a question regarding wording and I'm getting told to change my venue. YOUR wedding may be huge and over the top. Mine is not. It's a bunch of family and friends getting together and getting hammered (basically). My finace and I were told it would be better to provide transportation from EVERY SINGLE ONE OF OUR GUESTS (we can ask each of them personally because our guest list is so small). Plus, our province changed the legal alcohol limit recently and we don't want to take the chance of ANYONE drinking and driving. EVERY SINGLE PERSON WILL BE DROPPED OFF AT THE PICK UP LOCATION BY A FAMILY MEMBER/FRIENDS AND DROPPED BACK AT THEIR DOORSTEP AT THE END OF THE NIGHT. If someone really doesn't want to do that, I really could not care less. IF one of my family members or close friends chose to not come to my wedding because they wanted to have their car with them, then why would I want them at my wedding if their car is more important that spending time with us? EVERY SINGLE GUEST has told me what THEY want, so we have followed their instructions. It doesn't matter where or what my venue is, or whether or not parking would be allowed. I DO NOT WANT MY GUESTS DRIVING. I like the idea of having a continuous shuttle and will probably use that idea (though not one guest has said they will be leaving before 11 because dinner doesn't end until 10) BUT THINGS DO HAPPEN. My wedding is more like a backyard bbq, with VERY CLOSE FRIENDS AND FAMILY ONLY. We have done transport like this before and it worked wonderfully. Not only that, but we've arranged this with EACH AND EVERY ONE of our guests, and they have all been very enthusiastic.  If there are no other wording suggestions...
    Posted by Shelbeanie[/QUOTE]
    Well, at least you didn't overreact.

How do you know each guest is getting dropped off and picked up at the shuttle locations?  That seems like a lot to micromanage.
  • I don't understand if you have cleared it with every single guest (100% of them) then why do you need to reiterate that there will be no parking? Just list the shuttle places and times. I think the original wording is cute. But leave off the last lines because it seems weird to yell at your guests in an invitation.

Otherwise, I completely agree with previous posters. This seems like the worst idea ever and I would be completely annoyed by staying at a wedding for 9+ hours -- especially if I were "hammered". Also, who are you inviting that they are not responsible enough to not drink and drive? I would think that if people wanted to drink then they would use the available shuttle; but for those that did not want to drink let them drive. I'm guessing your guests are able to legally drink (if they plan to at the wedding) which means that they should be able to take responsibility for themselves and make decisions like adults.
  • I don't understand. My wedding is smaller than yours, 50 people, also all close friends and family, in the backyard, and we're still not forcing people to wait for a bus at scheduled times. 

Of course, we're aiming for classy romantic, not frat party, so maybe that makes a difference. 

If you've contacted every individual, why do you need to tell them again in writing?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards