Moms and Maids

Re: -

• KnibletKniblet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You asked her to be there as a BM, tattoos and all.  You knew she had them.  And having them doesn't make it a bad thing.  Love her for all of her or don't do it at all.

To anyone that would not like the tattooed look, it doesn't matter if they don't have meaning or are "done poorly".  Ink is ink. 

With everything else that comes with wedding planning, I think you are thinking about this a little too much.  Becoming a "controlling" bride is not going to make you look good in her eyes or anyone else.

Are you worried about the pics with her tattoos showing?  Or what people might think of her?  Or some other reason?

vacation vacation vacation vacation
    It's almost here! Weeeeeeee!
    my read shelf:
    Jaime's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    43/70 books read

Back in June 2010...
  • aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_bridesmaids-dress-stress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:d3f2b922-3679-488a-9d86-ededbfbb83c6Post:d36fe2c4-2e5c-4a6e-baa6-128678f66a3e">Bridesmaid's dress stress</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm sort of stressing out about my bridesmaids' dresses. I always figured I would take all of my bridesmaids to a store, give them the color scheme and let them pick out a dress that they feel comfortable in that goes with my wedding (I'd like them all in floor length gowns since I'm having a late fall or early spring wedding). Then I had a terrible thought pop in my head. One of my bridesmaids has tattoos in...very visible places, like her ankles (would be covered by the dress length) but also "on her collar bones". In other words, right above her boobs. And they're bats with bows. Can I ask her to choose a dress that covers them up? Or do I have to become a controlling bride and choose dresses for the maids even if they're different? I feel a bit hypocritical because I have a tattoo on my back that I have no intention of covering up because I got it for my grandmother who died when I was 16. I'm not trying to be mean, but she got those on a whim and they're poorly done and have no meaning behind them. Help!
    Posted by Celt729[/QUOTE]
    It isn't up to you to determine the worth of her tattoos.  Her reasons don't matter, they're part of her body.  Asking her to alter her apperance for your wedding is shallow and way out of line.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • AutumnFairAutumnFair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Even if her tats aren't done well or have no special meaning, they are still apart of her body and since you are her friend you should see past the physical markings of her body and keep to your word of letting them pick their dresses. I think you are really taking a chance on hurting your friend's feelings if you back track now because you don't want her tattoos to show. The only time tattoos can asked to be covered is if it's a dress code of the church where the ceremony is taking place other then that I would let this issue go.
  • vicki0508vicki0508 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There's a huge difference between a late fall and an early spring wedding.  I'd wait until you have a date nailed down before you start making them pick out dresses.

And ditto PP - you can't ask her to cover them up.
  • edited December 2011

Was the body art a surprise?  You love her for who she is...or you don't.  Don't try to change who she is to fit your vision of your day.  If you wanted it that pristine, you shouldn't have asked someone with ink.

My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • mandi921vhmandi921vh member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I never get these posts. 

You have a friend that has tattoos, you knew they were there, but you only began to see them as problems when they are visible in your wedding. You are very hypocritical if you will have a visible tattoo in your wedding but your friend is not "allowed" to.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Both of my BMs have tattoos that will be visible in their dresses. One of my girls offered to cover one of hers up for the wedding but I told her it's completely her decision. Personally, I don't think it's a very flattering tattoo, but it's her body, her decision. All I care about is that she will be standing up with me on my wedding day.
    "Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love." - Albert Einstein
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can't ask her to cover the tattoos.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_bridesmaids-dress-stress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:d3f2b922-3679-488a-9d86-ededbfbb83c6Post:d36fe2c4-2e5c-4a6e-baa6-128678f66a3e">Bridesmaid's dress stress</a>:
    [QUOTE] (I'd like them all in floor length gowns since I'm having a late fall or early spring wedding)
    Posted by Celt729[/QUOTE]

Does anyone else think that it's strange that she's having the WP pick out dresses if she hasn't even set a date?
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_bridesmaids-dress-stress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:d3f2b922-3679-488a-9d86-ededbfbb83c6Post:8ded4241-f9ad-444f-b6d7-9679a7b6e886">Re: Bridesmaid's dress stress</a>:
    [QUOTE]You can't ask her to cover the tattoos. In Response to Bridesmaid's dress stress : Does anyone else think that it's strange that she's having the WP pick out dresses if she hasn't even set a date?
    Posted by tpender13[/QUOTE]

<div>You read my mind!</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards