June 2012 Weddings

Time off for Wedding

How much time do you plan on taking off for your wedding and honeymoon?
I would like to take 2 1/2 weeks and I will defiantly have the days. The wedding is June 9th; and having a DW so I wanted Thursday and Friday off before to pack up and travel to Utah; then 9 nights for the honeymoon, then we have to travel back from Utah. I wasn't worried about it till this last week. The guy that sits next to me asked for 2 weeks off over the holidays and he was denied. Granted my boss hates this guy and he asked on very short notice..but now I am freaking out. I sent him an email to sit down and discuss what possibilities are for time off around my wedding. I figured it was better to talk to him in person then sending an email asking for 2 1/2 weeks off. We are meeting tomorrow... and I am a little nervous. Any words of wisdom?

Re: Time off for Wedding

• I don't think you have anything to be worried about. You are giving plenty of notice, plus you have a legitimate reason for wanting off that long! Good luck :) I am getting married on a Friday, so I took off from that Thursday, and the entire following week. I will go back to work the next Monday.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • If we do not move before, my plan is to take eight days off around the wedding.  I don't really have any advice other than to handle it how you are.  I sat down with my boss and discussed it with him. You are giving plenty of notice and being up front with him about your plans - not springing it on him at a time when a lot of people are already going to be out.
  • I'm getting married on a Friday so I'll either work all day Thursday or a half day depending on what all needs to be done. Then I'll be off from Friday the 8th till Tuesday the 26th. How HM is 2 weeks long so well get back mid day Monday then most likely go back to work tuesday.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I took off a total of 8 days this is including the Friday (6/8/12) before our wedding(6/9/12)  We're leaving on 6/11/12 spending 2 nights in SC then boarding on 6/13/12 for cruise only to return to SC on 6/18/12 then headed home on 6/19/12. I may be "sick" just so I can rest up lol.   
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Our wedding is June 9th, a saturday. I took off Thursday and Friday before the wedding and took off until the following Monday We will be in P unta Cana from the 10th-16th, a day of rest  and then I'll go back on June 18th.

I actually just got my vacation approval back on Monday. woohoooo.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I started a new job on monday, and I hope I can get the time off that I need! My first day on my unit with my supervisor is today, so I plan to talk to him then.
    Our wedding is June 29, and our honeymoon is July 1-8. So hopefullly I can get June 28- July 9 off...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Created by Wedding Favors

Wedding Planning and DIY bio Updated 05/15/12
    image 167 Made the list
    image 115 Accept
    image 46 Decline
    image 6 Not ready to decide
    RSVP deadline: June 8
  • I'm a teacher and FI is a school administrator, so 6/30 was a purposeful choice.  I'm done with work the week before, so I'll have plenty of time for week-of to dos and he's done that Wendesday.  I have several weeks off that summer and he has two and half weeks.  Technically, we're not taking any time off from work for it.  Taking additionally days outside of school vacation is seriously frowned upon, as it should be.
    June 2012 Siggy Challenge - Wedding Shoes - Which ones?
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm going to be taking the week of the honeymoon off (which is convenient because the 4th of July is in that week), then definitely the Friday before and possibly the Thursday before. Unfortunately, in my first year I only get 1 week of vacation, so if I take the Thursday before off (or even the Monday after the honeymoon) I'll have to use optional holidays. I know I won't have any problem getting time off (my boss already knows about the wedding and when it is), but I'm not going to ask off until I'm officially full time.
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • Luckily I am off in the summers so I won't have to take time off for the wedding.

Good luck with your meeting. I think you will be fine. Come up with a game plan on how things will work during your time off and who will cover for you. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think you'll be fine as long as you give plenty of notice.  I'll also have more than enough time and where we're getting married the 23rd I plan to take from probably the 21st at least through July 4th (as that's a middle of the week holiday).  I haven't decided whether to just take the 2nd and 3rd or that whole week yet.
  • I am sure that your boss will be fine!  Most people woud have no problem with it.

However, my boss is a wicked jerk about things like this.  I told him I would need two weeks off.  He laughed at me and said, " you can have two weeks off, just not in a row.  Your funny if you think you were getting two weeks in a row off". 

I am planning a trip to Europe for my honeymoon.  My current plan is Friday (8th) off with the wedding Saturday.  Then back to work on Monday, Tuesday and maybe Wednesday.  Then definitely Thursday, Friday and the entire next week off.

Definitely not an ideal situation, but my boss is not always ideal.
  • Good luck in your meeting! I am taking Thurs and Fri off before the wedding and then the entire next week (which is only 4 days because of the 4th of July).
  • Well it really all depends on when we go on the HM.  Right now I plan to take the the day before off and maybe the Wednesday before too (though I may work a half day).  Really, it all depends on how much time I need.  My boss said I could take the whole week off if I needed it and a week off for the HM. 
  • edited December 2011
    I'm taking off Wednesday-Friday before the wedding. I'm pretty sure we'll leave for our honeymoon on Sunday and get back on Friday or Saturday. I think I'm going to take the following Monday off as well in order to get some stuff done and ease back into things. 

I'm pretty sure I'll have at least 2 free-be vacation days for the honeymoon because it will be over 4th of July. So I'll be taking 7 days of vacation. 

I think I'll have 10 vacation days next year, and I have to take one off for my cousin's bachelorette party and another off for the day before her wedding, so that leaves me with 1 more vacation day post honeymoon. I hope I can make it. haha

ETA: I think you'll be fine. Your wedding is a once in a lifetime thing and I'm sure your boss is already figuring you being out for a while. You're talking to him with plenty of notice so he can plan. I actually just had this conversation with my boss yesterday and she was good with everything.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_time-off-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:2cad6ab6-0194-48cf-9087-ff60821042a0Post:3676ac34-80e2-413e-857c-386fb0266c76">Re: Time off for Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm taking off Wednesday-Friday before the wedding. I'm pretty sure we'll leave for our honeymoon on Sunday and get back on Friday or Saturday. I think I'm going to take the following Monday off as well in order to get some stuff done and ease back into things.  I'm pretty sure I'll have at least 2 free-be vacation days for the honeymoon because it will be over 4th of July. So I'll be taking 7 days of vacation.  I think I'll have 10 vacation days next year, and I have to take one off for my cousin's bachelorette party and another off for the day before her wedding, so that leaves me with 1 more vacation day post honeymoon.<strong> I hope I can make it. haha
    </strong>Posted by kelsey+brandon[/QUOTE]

I only have 2 weeks as well!!!! That is why I planned for around the 4th for the wedding!!
  • I've already talked to my boss a little. I plan on taking 2.5 weeks off roughly. We get married 6/2 the Monday before is Memorial Day which I get off for but I'm going to swap Monday for Friday (my boss as no problem with that). I might take off Thursday or at least do a half a day. I then plan to take off the 2 weeks after for our honeymoon sine we are going to Turkey and the Greek Isles.
    Cappadocia, Turkey
    June 2012 March Siggy Challenge: Honeymoon location
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    image 215 Invited so far!
    image 160 Are ready to party!
    image 30 Will be missing out!
    image 25 Are MIA!
  • I'm a teacher so I picked 6/23 so I will be on summer break.  I do teacher summer school (only 8 am-12pm) so I may take Friday off if we are still in session.  FI owns his own car repair business, so he can take as much time off as he wants/can afford. 
  • I have taken 3 weeks off - 3 days before our June 23rd wedding and 2 weeks for HM and a few days to get back settled as there will be a 6 hr time difference between home and HM, but I have 6 weeks vacation and some personal days - I have been very lucky with work but FI only has 3 weeks vacation, but personal days as well..  we have a destination wedding to attend 3 months after our wedding, hopefully he can do some OT to accumulate more days! I am sure it will work out for you, as many have said this is once in a lifetime!!!
    image 220 Are ready to party!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Im taking 3 weeks off - the week before the wedding, and then the following 2 weeks. Im just taking unpaid leave though, I'd rather do that then take the vacation days.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I haven't thought about it in detail yet, but I was thinking I'd take the Thursday and Friday before the wedding off, and then Monday and maybe Tuesday  after the wedding.  We are not going on our HM until the last week of July/first week of Aug, and that that time I'll probably tkae 2 weeks off.  I want our HM to be at least 10 days.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I will be taking off Wed, Thurs, Fri (getting married on Friday), then the entire next week for our HM, then the Mon & Tues of the following week so I can "ease" back into the daily routine.

I have already talked with my bosses and they have ok'd it. They are actually even letting me carry over 40 hours to next year. Usually we can only hold up to 40 hours PTO (paid time off) and if you have extra you need to use it or lose it. So, I'm very happy about it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    June 2012 May Siggy Challenge: The invitations
    image 126 Are ready to party!
  • I'm a freelancer so whatever time I take off will be unpaid. But I've been working like crazy for the past three years so I play on taking 3 weeks or a month off for the wedding + HM. It's the only time I will ever be able to justify taking a month off work so I better enjoy it! I'm jealous of all your paid vacation leave. 
  • I'm taking 2 1/2 weeks off for sure as of right now. (Off from Wednesday May 30, get everything ready in the city Wednesday &Thursday morning, drive home Thursday night, set up Friday & rehearsal dinner, Wedding Saturday June 2, then almost 2 weeks to just enjoy summer, do some camping, and settle down again!) It's been all-cleared with the boss, he's pretty understanding, and I didn't take any time off this year, so I have some leniency with him for next year. My cousin's getting married Sept.1/12, so I might need to take 2 vacation days then. 
  • Right now I am taking Wed Thu and Fri before Saturday wedding and the whole next week after. I will probably work the Wednesday before but right now I don't know when family will start coming into town. All of FI and I immediate family lives out of state. I hope your meeting goes well. I am sure it won't be a problem.
  • I'm getting married Saturday the 9th and I'm a teacher so school will still be in session at this point.  I'm definitely taking Friday off since we have to travel to CT for the wedidng.  I also plan on taking Monday off after just to spend a day regrouping after the wedding.  We're taking our honeymoon after school gets out at the end of June.  We're not sure where yet or how long.  FI just started a new job last week and part of the benefits negotiation was he told them he was getting married in June and needed to be able to use his vacation time late June/early July.  They were fine with that, although he hasn't worked out the details but I think he said at least a week.
    Anniversary
  • I am taking 3 weeks off but it's easier for me because I am a student and will be honeymooning during the fourth of July weekend. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We will be taking off about two weeks for the wedding. We leave for our honeymoon the day after the wedding.
    Anniversary Cruise Ship - Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Well I didn't get a chance to talk to him today. I have a corneal abrasion so I ended up going home sick today because I was in so much pain. We are going to reschedule. I am hoping I will be ok... looks like people plan on taking time for their wedding so hopefully he understands.

I am hoping when I sit down and explain the travel to Utah and back plus the honeymoon he will understand. Two other scenarios..book the honeymoon at a different date.. or wait until he is no longer my boss..lol (my team is suppose to split off soon and our side is suppose to get a new mgr)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards