Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Thoughts on Salmon

We're having a plated dinner and we're definitely offering Prime Rib but I can't decide on the second option. I'd love to offer salmon because I looooove Salmon and so do most of my immediate family members, but I know it can be a take it or leave it fish for a lot of people. The other option would be chicken (possibly with a crab cake side...my people are Italian and FI's people are from Maine so we like our seafood). I just wanted to get some thoughts on this from outside my planning team...Salmon: yay or nay? TIA!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Thoughts on Salmon

• edited December 2011
    I love Salmon...mmmm.

But I think the chicken would be the "smartest" choice.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jess9802jess9802 member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We're doing prime rib and salmon as our two options. I don't eat seafood, but here in the PNW salmon is very popular, which is why I'm always surprised to hear that it's a love it or hate fish for so many people. Anyway, maybe ask your FI's parents whether they think salmon would go over well with their side of the family.
  • TEA&CoTEA&Co member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, salmon is VERY much a love it/hate it fish.  I will eat most seafood, but would never, ever eat salmon.  Just not my thing.  FI, who will literally eat just about anything, also dislikes salmon.  I personally would do chicken over salmon...definitely.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • McKenna2012McKenna2012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have never had salmon but would love to try it.  If it is a love/hate fish, I would probably go with chicken to be safe.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • Magdala9Magdala9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had salmon at my wedding.  It was great
  • edited December 2011
    I'd do a litle poll of family and friends. I personally love salmon and I'm a big beliver in serving what makes you and FI happy as your options. That's what we're doing even though we've had some push back from a couple people.
    Last Post 7/8 Leave for Paradise 7/9 Our Beach Wedding 7/13

Planning Bio
  • edited December 2011
    I love salmon.  FI used to claim he didn't like any fish, but i grilled some last summer and he loved it.  Now he eats it on a regular basis.  Chicken would be the "safer" options, but sometimes it's good not to be too safe.  :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • topchef33topchef33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like certain fish (tilapia, mahi mahi) but I can't stand salmon. I would prefer chicken as I don't like prime rib either. Plus if you offer the crab cake w/the chicken it would still offer seafood to some guests.

Anniversary [center]My Chart[/center] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I agree..even though chicken is "safer" do what you want to do.  It's not like that's the only option :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I had this dilemma, so I ended up just listing the fish (sea bass, in my case) as my "pescatarian" dietary restriction option so that people could choose it if they really didn't want one of the more crowd-friendly main choices.
    "He who laughs at himself never runs out of things to laugh at."
  • edited December 2011
    It's your wedding, so it should reflect your tastes!  I personally LOVE salmon and will be offering a salmon with mango salsa. 

• edited December 2011
    I love salmon, but it is definitely a love it or hate it fish.  In the PNW, where it's more common, I think more people have tried it and it's overall more popular, but outside of there I wouldn't choose it unless it was my third option.  Since you only have one other option, I'd stick with something safer like chicken or a white fish.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards