Just Engaged and Proposals

Engagement Party?

Me and my Fiance are currently in the process of buying a home. When we finally do get into our home we were going to do a house warming party, but we were thinking of maybe making it a hosuewarming/engagement party? Do you think that would be appropriate or should we stick to one or the other, or does it really matter at all since its just a party anyway? lol... I really have no idea about the whole engagement party etiquette so any advice would be great! Thank You!

Re: Engagement Party?

• I know EVERY other knottie will say NO Don't make it an E Party...and i think you don't need one.  Just have a House warming. 
    imageimageVacation Till our honeymoon!!!
  • Ditto Amanda.  You do not throw yourself any pre-wedding party (engagement, bridal shower, bachlorette, etc.)  If someone offers to throw you a party, great.  If not, you don't have one.
  • It is rude to throw yourself an engagement party because it comes across as gift grabby. 
  • I wasnt thinking of it as like a way to get gifts... in fact... wasnt expecting gifts. Just kind of a way to celebrate 2 big things happening. Giving our family and close friends a chance to see our new house, and celebrate our engagement. I guess it doesnt really matter what we call it, its just going to be a gathering of our friends and family anyway. So we can just settle on calling it a housewarming party and make it simple. :-)
    Thanks
  • I love parties and love to plan parties! I say do it girl! When you send out the invites  to your house/ getting hitched party, simply state that their presence is the only gift you want! Why not kill two birds with one stone? I am sure you will not be the only one planning the party, and will have extra help! Good luck and congrats!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_engagement-party-15?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:452f1447-0a8f-4842-a0e3-4e1343476aa6Post:039cf7fc-1d3c-48cd-aba3-1f4abd630fa0">Re: Engagement Party?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love parties and love to plan parties! I say do it girl! When you send out the invites  to your house/ getting hitched party, simply state that their presence is the only gift you want! Why not kill two birds with one stone? I am sure you will not be the only one planning the party, and will have extra help! Good luck and congrats!
    Posted by bwallenborn[/QUOTE]

This is terrible advice.  You don't plan a pre-wedding party for yourself, it's very rude.  She can still have her house-warming party and have the get together without calling it an engagement party.  I'm sure people will still want to celebrate the engagement at the party but you don't have to call it an e-party for people to ooh and ahh over you.

I suggest lurking more before you post.
  • I agree with the responses above. Keep it as a housewarming party. My fiance and I just had our housewarming party a few weeks ago. It was a lot of fun. We had some friends over, food, and karaoke. Fun times! My parents have graciously decided to host an engagement party for Dave and I in August, which we probably wouldn't have...But since my parents offered we're going to do it. Maybe mention it to your parents and see if they'd be interested in hosting an engagement party for you guys too.
  • Congrats on your engagement!! If you all are looking for an amazing wedding officiant check out http://www.the-weddingofficiant.com

• I just went to an engagement, housewarming, birthday party this weekend.  Yes, it was all three.  Yes, it was dramatic and expensive for guests, but I loved it!  One of my closest friends is celebrating his civil union in April 2011, he and his FH just bought a beautiful condo facing NYC and it was his birthday.  He actually only had an engagement party because so many people were already purchasing congratulatory gifts and wanted to know what to get them.  If you want to celebrate, do it!
  • I would just have the house warming party. But this advice comes from someone who isn't a big fan of the whole wedding hoopla. I didnt have an engagement party, we just went to dinner with our immediate family. I don't want a bridal shower either. I made all my girls, mother and MIL promise they wont do it to me. I absolutely hate them and I dont like being the center of attention.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards