Wedding Etiquette Forum

divorced relatives-invite or not invite?

My uncle got divorced about a year ago and already remarried (they were dating before the divorce), but I want to invite my aunt, his ex-wife and my cousins, who live with her, to the wedding.  I have grown up with his ex-wife as my aunt, and we still keep in touch, and I feel it would be wrong to not invite her.  I'm just worried about drama between my aunt and the new wife, or my cousins and thier dad.  Should I invite one and not the other? Should I not invite one? 

Re: divorced relatives-invite or not invite?

• You should be allowed to invite your aunt and cousins if you want to. Just because they are divorced does not mean they are not still important to you or in your life.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Yeah, I would never seat them at the same table lol.  But I'm thankful for the reassurance that I can invite everyone.  Thank you!
  • If you invite your uncle you have to invite his new wife.

I would invite the ex.    She should know her ex would be invited and can decide for herself if she wants to attend.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_divorced-relatives-invite-or-not-invite?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:afa03232-2d6e-41ff-ae50-f672b9eefb83Post:2d0177ac-787f-4dab-aa70-8a13ba4aa189">Re: divorced relatives-invite or not invite?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, I would never seat them at the same table lol.  But I'm thankful for the reassurance that I can invite everyone.  Thank you!
    Posted by rsbloom[/QUOTE]
    i agree with pps.<div>
    <div> I'd invite your aunt, cousins, uncle, and your uncle's new SO. GL!</div></div>
  • We have a cousin who divorced his wife unexpectedly, and revealed he had been with someone else for quite a while.  We all disapprove of his new relationship and liked his first wife, so we make a note of inviting her to every single family event.  They were married for twenty plus years, there's no way to erase her out of our family when she did nothing wrong.  We still invite him and his "fiancee" but two years later we are still side eyeing the whole situation.

Previously Alaynajuliana

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_divorced-relatives-invite-or-not-invite?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:afa03232-2d6e-41ff-ae50-f672b9eefb83Post:aee56938-60e5-48b7-8408-1a0794cb4125">Re: divorced relatives-invite or not invite?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you invite your uncle you have to invite his new wife. I would invite the ex.    <strong>She should know her ex would be invited </strong>and can decide for herself if she wants to attend.  
    Posted by lyndausvi[/QUOTE]

Can you, mom or dad talk to your uncle? Just give him a heads up too. If he says he won't go if she goes, tell him you're sorry he won't be able to attend.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_divorced-relatives-invite-or-not-invite?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:afa03232-2d6e-41ff-ae50-f672b9eefb83Post:a7f26f4f-98ed-4987-8a16-74ac705aa031">Re: divorced relatives-invite or not invite?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We have a cousin who divorced his wife unexpectedly, and revealed he had been with someone else for quite a while.  We all disapprove of his new relationship and liked his first wife, so we make a note of inviting her to every single family event.  They were married for twenty plus years, there's no way to erase her out of our family when she did nothing wrong.  We still invite him and his "fiancee"<strong> but two years later we are still side eyeing the whole situation.</strong>
    Posted by Alaynajuliana[/QUOTE]

Really? I'd find something else to concentrate on.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards