Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh Wedding on Budget

I have a really small budget but still want to have a beautiful wedding, To cut cost I am doing a lot on my own like making my centerpieces and  buying stuff on sale, but my biggest problem is venue, I would like somewhere I can have a small ceremony (we are planning to keep it intimate) and then reception after. I have over 100 guest and would like to keep the catering to about $9 a person anyone know anywhere?

Re: Pittsburgh Wedding on Budget

• edited December 2011
    Have you checked local parks (North Park, South Park etc). I would also check local fire halls.  You may find that many venues require you to use their catering company.

I'm not very familiar with carteing companies or what $9 pp would get you. Are you thinking more of a cake/punch reception or a full dinner?  Did you consider doing a luncheon reception?  That is a way to save money and would help you stay within your budget.

GL! Smile
    Favorite Thing About Fall- Fall Foods, apple pie, pumpkin cookies, apple cider... YUM!

Planning Bio

• edited December 2011
    You're probably not looking in the Irwin/North Huntingdon area, but here are some places I looked into/ am familiar with. It's worth giving them a call!

1)Cafe Supreme has catering that starts at $10.95 per person. It lists some venues they deliver to, and says "many others" so it wouldn't hurt to call and see. IMO, they have yummy food (I've never had their catering, but eaten in the restaurant). Here's the link to the catering portion of their website:

http://www.cafesupreme.com/catering.php

2) K-Vay's Restaurant starts at $9.50 per person. Once again, I'm not sure where all they deliver. We used them for my HS graduation party, and everyone raved about the food. We also had my bridal shower there. Here's the link:

http://www.kvays.com/partyout.html

3) There is also Bella Luna Trattoria in Murryville. I had my RD there, and highly recommend them. They have a lunch option that's $9.50 per person, if you don't mind keeping it on the casual side. Here's the link to their catering menu. They do in-house, and deliver as well.

http://www.barsmart.com/gfx/pdf/blcater.pdf

Hope this helps some!

• edited December 2011
    I would suggest going with an appetizer reception or a dessert/punch reception if your budget is $9pp.  Another option would be a luncheon as other ladies have suggested.  Generally luncheons are much cheaper then dinner time options.  I don't have anywhere specific to recommend, but I would try fire halls, or parks so you would only have to pay a minimal rental fee.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • phillychica85phillychica85 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second Duq's recommendation on looking into one of the parks. My FSIL got remarried last year and had both wedding & reception at North Park. For the ceremony, they had rented one of the pavilions and then for the reception they rented one of the boathouses. She did catering through the Post Office Catering Group, based in Wexford I believe. Very down to earth food (fried chicken, cold salads, sandwiches, veggies). I'm not sure of exact costs per head but the food was good and I don't think it would be too much. I think part of what you pay is having servers. Buffet style but food was still dishes out.They also brought in the cake themselves. They supplied the alcohol themselves. The reception space would also be doable with an "ipod dj." She didn't have 100 guests, but I know there is another boathouse to rent there that may be a larger venue space.
    HTH
    My travel and cooking blog

Maui, November 2011
  • concerto47concerto47 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Twin Oaks in White Oak is catering my RD and they offer a hot buffet from $9.50-$11.50 depending on how many entrees you want. (Those are the prices for over 50 people.)

http://www.twinoakslounge.com/catering.asp

• jaimed99jaimed99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm actually looking into one of the larger buildings in North Park.  Here is the site with rental fees for groves/buildings in all of the Allegheny County Parks...

I'm also going to echo PPs about having a luncheon or hors d'oeuvre/cocktail reception...or even a brunch reception.  We're pretty much DIY'ing everything (including family cooking) so we're trying to keep costs at a minimum too. 
  • edited December 2011
    Well, I do not recommend DIY cooking under any circumstances.

If you choose an outdoor space, please have an indoor backup plan. Many outdoor weddings do not go well given the heat, bugs, lightning, rain, or cold.

Does $9 need to include plates, forks, knives, cups, etc? Beverages? Staff?

That is going to be very tight. I'd recommend doing cake and punch in the church's recreation area or at your home. Or cutting the guest list by half and having the reception at a very affordable restaurant, like previous posters suggested.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards