Interracial Weddings

In your "down" time...

What do you and your FI/DH do for fun together?

We love LOVE watching basketball together.  He says it's not fun when my team is playing though; he says I cheer, scream, curse, couch-coach and clap way too loud haha.  But we watch any team that happens to be on (NBA). 

We also like watching Mike & Molly together, it's just one of those shows that we BOTH enjoy, as our tv picks are so different.  Usually his shows bore me to death, and he plays on the computer during my shows because he has no interest in them.

Re: In your "down" time...

• edited May 2012
    We show and train dogs! I did it before I met FI and now he has come over to the dark side LOL. We have three pit bulls, last year when I wanted a new puppy FI agreed on the condition that it was "his" dog. So he became responsible for the training and competing. That was fine with me!
    Fi with the puppy

Me with the girls

We also started taking dance lessons to get ready for our first dance but we love it so much we'll continue after the wedding.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Paige, how did you become interested in showing dogs?
  • It's a long story lol, but basically my grandfather always had an outdoor lab when I was growing up. He was the only one in my family who had a dog. So I begged my parents for a dog for years and years until I could get one. I got a little poodle mix and created a backyard agility course so I could train him to jump and run through tunnels like they did on the agility matches  on TV. My mom never let me take classes though so I waited till I was about to graduate from college before I could get a dog just for agility and train her in actual classes.

Her breeder really wanted me to show her in the traditional shows that judge against breed standard so I was like "why not." She became a champion in one weekend and I was hooked. I wanted to do other things so I took her to obedience and weight pull events, and agility classes and fun matches (which are my FAVORITE).

When my FI moved in I got another puppy though he didn't think that was a good idea (the black one). Once she was home he fell in love though. Then last year we got the chocolate one. Shows are extremely addicting lol. Luckily we can't add more dogs in our little house so the addiction is under control...somewhat.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In our down time we explore. We try to find some local and not so local places that interest us and make plans to go. In one year we hit Alexandria Bay, Boston, Narangansett and Philadelphia.

Last year we hit Manhattan, the Poconos and Oxford, CT.

This year, because of the wedding we aren't doing anything really special; we just really want to go somewhere pretty local. We're checking out Letchworth State Park...

We're big travellers :)
    Vacation White Knot
  • We watch Netflix together and go out to eat as few times a month (so many great places all over the city and livingsocial and groupon are awesome in NYC!) and when we're not going out, I'm a pretty good cook so I'll whip something up and he'll devour it, lol. We don't have a ton of money so all our excursions are pretty tightly budgeted but even if it's just going out to get bubble tea, it's nice to spend time together. We each spend over two hours a day commuting so quality time is pretty important. We do crosswords together, play with our cats, spend time in the garden or running errands, and I make it a point to eat dinner together every day (except when he works an evening shift once a week) and to have at least one nice brunch on the weekend! 
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interracial-weddings_in-your-down-time?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:c9069c39-6e1f-4397-9e66-aeb7ed51fccbDiscussion:389aa80c-36b5-438c-ac83-339c1ce8669dPost:37d68a6e-de31-4773-9655-6b805a9f1849">Re: In your "down" time...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In our down time we explore. We try to find some local and not so local places that interest us and make plans to go. In one year we hit Alexandria Bay, Boston, Narangansett and Philadelphia. Last year we hit Manhattan, the Poconos and Oxford, CT. This year, because of the wedding we aren't doing anything really special; we just really want to go somewhere pretty local. We're checking out Letchworth State Park... <strong>We're big travellers :)</strong>
    Posted by melntaitt[/QUOTE]

Us too!  Last year was Los Angeles, the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas.  This year is Bermuda (honeymoon) and Montreal late summer/early fall.  I've been begging J to go ever since I moved to NY.  The world is so vast and expansive, I don't know how people can <em>not</em> want to take it all in :) 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interracial-weddings_in-your-down-time?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:c9069c39-6e1f-4397-9e66-aeb7ed51fccbDiscussion:389aa80c-36b5-438c-ac83-339c1ce8669dPost:a7fc77df-4e46-4bb1-bd3e-a081f8a57248">Re: In your "down" time...</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's a long story lol, but basically my grandfather always had an outdoor lab when I was growing up. He was the only one in my family who had a dog. So I begged my parents for a dog for years and years until I could get one. I got a little poodle mix and created a backyard agility course so I could train him to jump and run through tunnels like they did on the agility matches  on TV. My mom never let me take classes though so I waited till I was about to graduate from college before I could get a dog just for agility and train her in actual classes. Her breeder really wanted me to show her in the traditional shows that judge against breed standard so I was like "why not." She became a champion in one weekend and I was hooked. I wanted to do other things so I took her to obedience and weight pull events, and agility classes and fun matches (which are my FAVORITE). When my FI moved in I got another puppy though he didn't think that was a good idea (the black one). Once she was home he fell in love though. Then last year we got the chocolate one. Shows are extremely addicting lol. Luckily we can't add more dogs in our little house so the addiction is under control...somewhat.
    Posted by paigejessica[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you have a passion for this!  I'm glad; everyone should be so lucky in having something they absolutely LOVE to do, and better yet, to get their other half to take up that same interest lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards