Catholic Weddings

Reader question

I feel like this is a silly question, but I am really not sure about the answer. Are readers generally invited to the rehearsal and subsequently the rehearsal dinner?

TIA!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary

Re: Reader question

• mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ours were.  Our priest preferred to have everyone (readers, cantor, organist) at the rehearsal, so obviously then everyone was invited to the dinner.
  • edited December 2011
    Not a silly question at all. As a reader, I had no expectation of being invited to the RD. That being said, you definitely want them at the rehearsal to be able to practice and it's a nice gesture if not proper etiquette (I'm not sure) to include them at the RD. I read at two weddings of friends and I was asked to be at the rehearsals and was invited to the dinners as well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I believe that it's proper etiquette to invite anyone required to attend the rehearsal to the rehearsal dinner.  So if your readers need to be at the rehearsal, invite them afterwards as part of the thank you for taking time to be in the wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice! I figured that if anyone was a part of the rehearsal, then they would be invited to the rehearsal dinner as well. I just wasn't sure if readers were typically included in the rehearsal though. I will make sure to add both to the list for my FMIL. :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I agree with mica. 

Everyone attending the rehersal should be invited to the RD.
  • edited December 2011
    I am with mica and oot.

We invited anyone that was involved in the wedding ceremony to the RD.
  • aimers1525aimers1525 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was a reader for my friend's wedding. I did not have to attend the rehersal, and was not invited to the RD. We are not required to have our readers at the rehersal, so we aren't having them attend.
  • lalaith50lalaith50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    you should definitely invite the readers to the rehearsal... Who else do you think the rehearsal is for? It's not that hard to walk up the aisle. It IS hard to know exactly when to go up to do a reading (if you don't regularly do it), or to speak in public.
    Anniversary
  • aimers1525aimers1525 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_reader-question-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:17dc0ea5-ba8c-4ec8-96d6-89c702fc39e0Post:a831f0f5-7165-46de-b782-a2d7bd604c30">Re: Reader question</a>:
    [QUOTE]you should definitely invite the readers to the rehearsal... Who else do you think the rehearsal is for? It's not that hard to walk up the aisle. It IS hard to know exactly when to go up to do a reading (if you don't regularly do it), or to speak in public.
    Posted by lalaith50[/QUOTE]
    I disagree. The rehearsal is more than practicing walking down the aisle. I have some members of my bridal party who are not Catholic so they are not familiar with a Catholic mass.  However, our readers are Catholic and are familiar with the order of mass.  Our priest will be "inviting" each reader(s) to the ambo to offer each particular reading, ie "I know invite John to give the 1st reading" or something like that. We also decided to choose the people who are reading because they are comfortable with speaking in public.  Additionally, we will be giving our readers the passages beforehand and encouraging them to come to the church a little earlier if they would like to practice.

Two of our readers have children (one has newborn twins), so we didn't want to require them to attend our rehearsal knowing that it might be an inconvenience for them.
  • meep2meep2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If they are not familiar with the mass and need to know when to read, they should be invited to the rehearsal.

Aside from that, I do think that if you are having people who mean something to you but aren't in the wedding party do readings then they should be invited the the rehearsal dinner. I have played in several weddings as a musician where I was doing so not professionally but as a friend who the bride wanted to participate in the wedding. Each time I was invited to the rehearsal dinner. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards