New Jersey

How long did it take..

Well Fi and I have been to like about 10 venues so far, and are extremely tired! I still haven't found something that we believe is right for us! How long did it take you guys until you found your venue?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: How long did it take..

• goaliegirlgoaliegirl member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    We looked at 5 venues so it only took us a few weeks.  Honestly,  it was much easier than I thought it was going to be.    Maybe we can help you if you tell us what you are looking for and where you have looked.
  • jchristeljchristel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm trying to think of how many I looked at before I made a decision and I can't remember- 7 maybe?

Ravello's
    Mayfair Farms
    Nanina's
    The Manor
    Il Tulipano
    Perona Farms
    I know I'm forgetting something...

(edit to add: Knoll CC and tried to look at Crystal Springs but they were impossible to deal with)

I think you need to narrow down what is a must have and what you didn't like about what you already saw.  Ten is a lot and it's going to get tiring and frustrating if you don't narrow it down to a select few more.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    One weekend we checked out about 4 or 5 places.  Plus, we had been to several others over the past few years for other weddings and events so we already knew what we did and didn't like about them.  Like pp - It was much easier and faster than we expected it to be.  As soon as we drove up to our venue we knew it was THE ONE.

Edit:  The venues we looked at that weekend were...
    Seasons
    The Brownstone
    The Manor
    Grand Marquis

Venues we had already seen at other events were...
    Madison Hotel
    Pantagis Renaissance
    The Westwood
    image 182 Invited
    image 0 Are ready to party!
    image 0 Will be missing the fun
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • NJgurl19NJgurl19 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Aww peaches can't wait till I have my eagle rock rd day, I will kill them all with one stone and maybe fall in love with the manor to. At Alie, i think maybe Fi and I are to picking champagne drinkers on a beer budget type of thing! I wish I could wake up rich run, and book the Venetian(my dream venue).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • teacup0618teacup0618 member
    edited December 2011
    We looked at 11!!  Out of that 11 We loved 3 of them, and we narrowed it down from there. We looked at all of them in 1 weekend because we live in Pittsburgh and werent sure when we were going to make it back to the NJ area.
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We only went to one, but we had something pretty specific in mind and did not want to have our reception at a reception hall, which made it harder to come up with a short list (as there were few options) but easier to hone in on exactly what we wanted.

Do you have a clear picture of what you want as far as ambience (reception hall versus hotel versus restaurant versus another type of place), level of formality, style (vintage, traditional, modern, cozy, airy, clean, urban, gardeny, etc.), capacity, price range, etc.?  If not, you may want to do a bit more soul searching so you can eliminate more places on paper before going out to visit them.  It is really tough, because there are a ton of options out there.
  • edited December 2011
    What places have you looked at NJGurl? 
    edited December 2011
    Peaches what was your take on Pantagis Renaissance?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Lola MinnieLola Minnie member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i had intended on viewing a number of venues but we decided on our 3rd visit
    edited December 2011
    Venues i have looked at
    The Empire club
    Knoll CC(like)
    Graycliff (like)
    Woodcliff lake Manor
    The Landmark
    The brownstone
    Crystal falls in Fairfield NJ
    Patriot Hill (Rockland County)
    The Bethwood
    Seasons(it was nice over my budget0
    Venetian( I LOVED, but $$$)
    The Tides(need to go back we went there 2 years ago to plan a sweet sixteen.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I haven't been there for a wedding, just for other events.  I like the food, but the overall decor is definitely not for me.  Plus, I've been there when there were a bunch of events going on at once and it just seemed really chaotic to me with random guests from one event stopping in other people's rooms to see what was going on.

Granted, The Manor can have up to 3 weddings going on at once, but they stagger the start times and the rooms are spread out from one another.  It just seemed a lot calmer and more organized to me.
    image 182 Invited

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    NJGurl - Where do you live?  Are you looking for a place near you?
    image 182 Invited

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    what's your budget?  I got married at IL Villaggio and loved it.  you can get a good deal depending on time of year. 
    edited December 2011
    I live in Northern NJ, and prefer staying in that are. Rosanna, I'm looking at IL Villagios tomorrow! The place looks awesome I'm scared it might be over my budget. I'm willing to get married on a Sunday though (evening). My budget is about 105 after tax and tip!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jchristeljchristel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ravello's?
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Have you thought about Galloping Hill in Union?  I believe their prices are pretty good. 
    http://www.gallopinghillcaterers.com/

Also, Bridgewater Manor gets really good reviews all the time - http://www.bridgewatermanor.com/
    image 182 Invited

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    what date are you looking at?  I know a girl who booked for about that much on a friday in April....if you are meeting with John, he will work with you.  I paid more because I had my wedding on a saturday night in September which is high season.  It's gorgeous and the food is awesome there
  • edited December 2011
    We looked for 4 or 5 months for a venue. My mom and I saw, gosh, maybe 25 venues and talked to a ton of others on the phone to get pricing info. DH only saw 3 venues - Bridgewater Manor, which we picked for our reception, the Westwood which was initially my first choice b/c of price alone then we had a tasting... and the Cranbury Inn which was right by where we were living at the time and the owner was such a SNOB I wouldn't ever give them a cent of my business. Oh and then my shower was at the Lobster Shanty which was a choice in the beginning, so he eventually saw that too.
    edited December 2011
    I like a Sunday in Oct, possibly Nov
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I looked at 4 before I found the one. We were also pressed for time since I am currently living in Buffalo and was only home in NJ for 2 weeks. I am getting married Sunday Nov 6,2011 which is the date we were looking for!
  • edited December 2011
    I no joke probably requested info from 100 venues.  I was looking from Saratoga, NY to South Jersey.  My mom probably vistited 30 or so.  She narrowed it down for me.  We visited 4 in the Hudson Valley together and 5 in South Jersey plus I did 2 more by myself.  It felt like it was never ending.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We looked at 9 (10 if you count the one we drove by, didn't like the outside of at all, and immediately called up and cancelled our appointment).  I requested info from a bunch more than that, well over 25.

I found the whole process really frustrating.  It doesn't help that I'm really indecisive. and FI and I had some specific things in mind we were looking for. 

You'll find someplace eventually....don't give up hope!  =)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    204 Invited image
    7 Ready to Celebrate! image
    1 Going to Miss The Fun image
    196 Making Us Wait image *RSVP Date April 25*
  • edited December 2011
    We looked at  7, but we live out of state so we had to squeeze everything in to two weekends. I probably requested quotes from 30+ places and narrowed it down from there.
    Photobucket

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    We looked at nine before deciding on Florentine Gardens.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    we looked at 2...madison hotel and grand summit hotel...ended up going with grand summit. i had been engaged previously and had looked at the manor, maplewood country club, olde mill in, governer westin morris, a few country clubs in the berkley heights area and im sure a few others but way too long ago to remember.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I looked at about 24 places myself, and culled out the ones we could not afford and that I did not like before I presented the info to Fi.  Together, we checked out 4 places and brought our parents to 2.  The 5 of us finally settled on the Bridgewater Manor (my #1 choice)...but I started this process in April and we did not sign our contract until August.
    Holly & Brendan
    Wedding date 10/8/10
    EDD 5/9/13 Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Denise91980Denise91980 member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Did you try Ravello's, The Manor or The Atrium......I went with Ravello's and am paying 100 for Friday 10/1... I think The Manor and Atrium are comparable as well
    BFP #1 1/1/11 EDD 9/10/11 dx:no hb DNC on 2/2/11 BFP #2 12/28/11 natural m/c on 2/6/12 BFP#3 2/16/13 dx:ectopic on 2/27 (given methotrexate)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • JulepheniaJulephenia member
    edited December 2011
    I called a bunch of places to figure out price ranges, and then we only looked at ones we could afford and liked the websites of... in total, I think I actually visited 3... But we know what we like and what we can afford, so we didn't stress over it too much.
  • sgdc2011sgdc2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try the Primavera in Stirling for a Sunday in Oct/Nov they might be in your budget.  Plus you get the whole place to yourselves.
  • edited December 2011
    We looked at the Greycliff & the Stony Hill Inn and both were really nice with a great price but the only problem is that we are getting married during football season and didn't want that to interfere with our wedding.  We're getting married at the Berkeley Plaza in Berkeley Heights.  We are paying about $115 per person but it's totally worth it!
    10/10/10- Ten years in the making!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards