Not Engaged Yet

I found a hobby!

I posted a month or so ago about controlling the BSC... and I took everyone's advice.

My parents gave me a Canon Rebel T3 DSLR for Christmas and I am obsessed. I'm reading the manual (it's a bit overwhelming) and playing around with the different settings. Just figured out aperture, shutter speed and ISO, so I've been experiencing with those.

Any photographers out there with good advice on learning more about cameras and photography? I can't afford a class on it right now, but any tips would be much appreciated!

Re: I found a hobby!

• So cool! I just got a T3i for Christmas and I'm addicted. There's another forum that has a 12 week photography course that I'm on as well. Check it out if you want:

Two Peas in a Bucket <--Clicky

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Awesome! Thank you! Now I am definitely not going to get any work done for the rest of the day.
  • lol I just started their 12 week course. My sister got a Nikon D3100 for Christmas, so we're both learning our cameras and taking them at the same time. There's a group that's just started the "class" on there too.

• I can't believe how much there is to learn. This is going to be a good hobby! We're going to Chicago for New Years, so I'll be able to practice some night city shots. Thank you again!
  • SQUEE! I got a Canon Rebel xti and a 18-200 IS zoom lens. I'm in love. I wanted a new hobby for Christmas, and Santa listened (and spoiled me). I know the body is an older model, but it's perfect to learn on for the next year or two (or 30 in the case of paying of student loans, lol). The lens is the bestest part.... it's more awesome than I was ever expecting!

I'm going to join twopeasinabucket.com too!
    www.nurseyk.weebly.com
  • I've spent all day on Amazon looking at the different lenses/flashes they have.... My dad gave me his 55-200 lens at Christmas to go with the starter one.. and I caved and ordered the 50mm 1.8 lens from Amazon this morning. If I'm not careful this is going to get expensive FAST :/

Luckily I scrapbook alot, so it's worth it... right? haha.

• I'm so nervous about buying lenses before I've made this a serious hobby. They're so dang expensive. A photographer friend of mine also recommended Borrowlenses.com where you can rent lenses to make sure that you like them before investing in them. I've never tried it, but she says it's helped her narrow down her collection and saved her money.

• Greg's uncle recommended that we use places like adorama.com to purchase used lenses/cameras/anything instead of buying new. This is because a lot of people pick up the hobby for 6 months, then don't do any more with it and sell their equipment. adorama.com sends the lenses to the manufacturer to be refurbished to factory condition (prestine, I imagine) and sells them for a lot less than new.

Maybe like WSG we should post our best pics weekly along with what we learned?! Thoughts? I'd rather only be a part of one online board... this one. :)
    www.nurseyk.weebly.com
  • I never even thought of that. I am going to have to check that out. I caved on the 50 because it was under a hundred, which is still a bit expensive to me.

• I secretly want a 50mm, too. Shhhh.
    www.nurseyk.weebly.com
  • NurseyK, I would be down to post photos. I'm pretty sure my BF is already getting tired of looking at the camera "real quick" to see my latest photo, haha. I will definitely check out adorama first before going to Amazon.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_found-hobby?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:6732b48b-1c69-4c88-a1de-d7c583fa67d8Post:8cf22a66-ca6e-49cc-bd2d-b2ea3f873323">Re: I found a hobby!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm so nervous about buying lenses before I've made this a serious hobby. They're so dang expensive. A photographer friend of mine also recommended Borrowlenses.com where you can rent lenses to make sure that you like them before investing in them. I've never tried it, but she says it's helped her narrow down her collection and saved her money.
    Posted by Ollie08[/QUOTE]

Am I the only Nikon girl here?!?!  I got a D90 in Fall 2009 and love it!!  Didn't buy my first additional lens until a year after and my next lens 6 months after that.  I still have lots to learn and I use that thing all the time!!  I really like that Two Peas link & course so maybe I'll do that too. 
    I also have a lot of fun with processing my pics . . . started with Elements and now use both that and CS4. 

Maybe we could start a group or something on Flickr where we could post & critique each other's images?  Just a thought!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_found-hobby?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:6732b48b-1c69-4c88-a1de-d7c583fa67d8Post:0c211633-973e-4407-9a42-17b92d0df709">Re: I found a hobby!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Plz post lots of pretty pictures! I lovers them. Also- look at this neat trick- <a href="http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/photography-tutorials/must-get-christmas-pictures-before-the-tree-comes-down.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/photography-tutorials/must-get-christmas-pictures-before-the-tree-comes-down.html</a>
    Posted by lunarsongbird[/QUOTE]

I saw you post that on FB the other day and I think it's totally awesome!

• I would do either a post here or flickr... I love photos. Also, I am just a tiny bit intimidated by Photoshop. I'm still exploring iPhoto and what it can do (which I know is very, very limited).

I saw that Christmas tree post this morning on Pinterest! Not going to lie, that was part of the decision to get the 50mm lens.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_found-hobby?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:6732b48b-1c69-4c88-a1de-d7c583fa67d8Post:c586cb2f-eb9e-4538-889f-ce10fdaa913d">Re: I found a hobby!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I found a hobby! : I saw you post that on FB the other day and I think it's totally awesome!
    Posted by Ollie08[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't it be ADORABLE for some wedding reception pictures?
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_found-hobby?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:6732b48b-1c69-4c88-a1de-d7c583fa67d8Post:c614abb7-dbde-412d-ac50-d38d610258cf">Re: I found a hobby!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I found a hobby! : <strong> Am I the only Nikon girl here?!?</strong>!  I got a D90 in Fall 2009 and love it!!  Didn't buy my first additional lens until a year after and my next lens 6 months after that.  I still have lots to learn and I use that thing all the time!!  I really like that Two Peas link & course so maybe I'll do that too.  I also have a lot of fun with processing my pics . . . started with Elements and now use both that and CS4.  <strong>Maybe we could start a group or something on Flickr where we could post & critique each other's images?  Just a thought!</strong>
    Posted by flygirlmeg[/QUOTE]
    My little sister has a D3100 and we're doing this photography thing together. I really wanted a D5100 originally, but FI ended up getting the Canon because it was less expensive for him lol

I am totally up for a photography group here. It'd be fun! Some of the ladies on Two Peas are a bit older, so this would be fun together.

• let's start a flickr group called NEY... I'm in!

Flygirl - should I get CS5 and lightroom? Or just CS5? I want to invest while I can still get them at student prices....
    www.nurseyk.weebly.com
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_found-hobby?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:6732b48b-1c69-4c88-a1de-d7c583fa67d8Post:3cc8d6ff-eb3a-4633-ad64-784745ebe0fc">Re: I found a hobby!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I found a hobby! : Wouldn't it be ADORABLE for some wedding reception pictures?
    Posted by lunarsongbird[/QUOTE]

Um yeah! I think it would be perfect :-)

• Just saw this on Pinterest..

http://www.starsforstreetlights.com/2011/12/photo-tips-and-techniques-for-beginners.html

Pretty pictures! And I am now, officially, considered unproductive in terms of work for the remainder of the day.
  • Thanks... just thanks. Now I'm going to spend tonight playing with my camera and christmas bokeh ideas. :)

And now I want a 50mm lens. Le sigh.
    www.nurseyk.weebly.com
  • My internetz is blocking me from going to www.flickr.com at work. Darn productivity requirements and expectations.

Can anyone else?
    www.nurseyk.weebly.com
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_found-hobby?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:6732b48b-1c69-4c88-a1de-d7c583fa67d8Post:780636ec-986e-4142-8eca-f99ab1bc8fcf">Re: I found a hobby!</a>:
    [QUOTE]My internetz is blocking me from going to <a href="http://www.flickr.com" rel="nofollow">www.flickr.com</a> at work. Darn productivity requirements and expectations. Can anyone else?
    Posted by NurseyK[/QUOTE]
    I'll do it!

• K... I have a meeting then I'm going home. I'll check this later... but I might have to play around with the christmas tree tree bokeh idea first.
    www.nurseyk.weebly.com
  • The group is NEY Photography...

• I'm having difficulties finding the group. Or I'm doing it wrong.

All caps for NEY?
  • Nursery - I started with Elements (8) and learned most everything there.  I actually don't do a whole lot in CS4 unless I'm processing the RAW file.  You can do a lot with RAW!!  I haven't used LR but hear great things about it.  I think you can download trials of both CS5 and LR - maybe see what's more user friendly?  I think if I had my perfect combo it would be LR and whatever the latest Elements is.  I also do a lot of processing with actions - try Coffeeshop (<---clicky) to learn with some free ones.  I use Florabella actions mostly but you have to pay for those.  There are tons of them out there but I'd start with free ones to see how/what you like.  I didn't even start using actions right away, just focused on getting things right in the camera and basic editing. 

Ollie - I couldn't find the group on Flickr.  :-/ Does it take awhile to show up maybe?
  • I just realized I had it set to invite only so that only the NEY ladies would join. But in order for it to be invite only, I'd have to know who to invite lol So now it's public. We can switch it back later after you join.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards