Wedding Etiquette Forum

TELL ME ABOUT A TIME A CHILD RUINED YOUR WEDDING!!!

1789101113»

Re: TELL ME ABOUT A TIME A CHILD RUINED YOUR WEDDING!!!

• I went to a wedding where a toddler ran up to the altar and around the church pews during the formal Catholic ceremony. The child was singing and screeching during the vows and the exchange of rings. Obviously, it was the fault of clueless parents, not the child. The kid was just being a kid. But it was really irritating to witness this as a guest. I actually wanted to hear my good friend take her vows. 

Luckily the bride and groom were lovely and gracious and went about their ceremony. I can't say I wouldn't have been really pissed if I were in her shoes. DId it ruin the entire wedding? Of course not. But the holier than thou pro-kid people in this thread can't possibly say that they wouldn't (at least) be annoyed by that scenario. Nobody is that much of a "laid back" bride. 

**I am not saying that all of the "pro kid" people are holier than thou...just some of the people have made sarcastic statements that sound a bit holier than thou.
  • As a newb, you must not recognize sarcasm font of many on here, obviously.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_tell-time-child-ruined-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:c0b0955a-7390-4f72-b02c-cb18904dffeaPost:61139031-73f6-4667-bc0a-2fc45f87dda4">Re: TELL ME ABOUT A TIME A CHILD RUINED YOUR WEDDING!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]As a newb, you must not recognize sarcasm font of many on here, obviously.
    Posted by missy68[/QUOTE]

This thread was full of a lot of confused newbs........Not one person (except the newbs) came up in here all serious.  Oh well.  It passed my Friday.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_tell-time-child-ruined-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:c0b0955a-7390-4f72-b02c-cb18904dffeaPost:9d2c79fd-eeeb-4f1d-9a2c-d2971e6fc2cc">Re: TELL ME ABOUT A TIME A CHILD RUINED YOUR WEDDING!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: TELL ME ABOUT A TIME A CHILD RUINED YOUR WEDDING!!! : Awesome. A kid's bouncer . I've heard it all today. Posted by missy68[/QUOTE]

Ok, how about I just post a sign that says "<strong>Unruly children will be given a cup of sugar and a puppy and sent home</strong>."
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_tell-time-child-ruined-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:c0b0955a-7390-4f72-b02c-cb18904dffeaPost:c7c6cdd5-0f91-4372-92f9-835156a55387">Re: TELL ME ABOUT A TIME A CHILD RUINED YOUR WEDDING!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: TELL ME ABOUT A TIME A CHILD RUINED YOUR WEDDING!!! : This thread was full of a lot of confused newbs........Not one person (except the newbs) came up in here all serious.  Oh well.  It passed my Friday.
    Posted by Stackeye210[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure not+bkel was serious when she called me a biitch. Shes so mean.
  • Not ruined, BUT...

Our wedding was supposed to be adults only.  A college friend of mine and his wife brought his stepdaughter (her daughter) unannounced.  They lived 5 minutes from the wedding venue.  It was BS that the kid was there... because, as her mother put it "she needed to see you in your pretty dress."  No she freaking didn't.  And they RSVPed for two at a formal wedding, which meant the table had to be rearranged and the guests squished at that table to accommodate the kid.  Seeing this uninvited kid gave me a start during the cocktail hour, when I found out she was even there.  And I found out later that although she was a good kid (age 10 or 11 or so), my other friends at that table didn't really enjoy the reception because they felt bad for her that she was bored to tears with no other kids there that they took it upon themselves to entertain her.  So not "ruined," per se, but definitely a detriment.

Also, I had other friends whose kids I actually know and love, who asked if they could bring the kiddos to the ceremony only and I actually said no because I was worried about pissing off others there who didn't bring kids.  And then I felt terrible that this girl I didn't even know got to see the ceremony and the kids I actually care about didn't.

On the other hand, at our good friends' wedding last July... the "event planner," who sucked overall, REALLY SUCKED, brought her daughters.  The older one "helped" by serving and taking plates, but was a total little snotnose to the guests throughout the event.  Seriously nasty.  She also tried to stick her hand into the piece of cake I was served.  On purpose.  On my plate as I was holding it.  Because she wanted to taste it, and when I wouldn't let her, she fought with me about it.  So freaking obnoxious and gross.  I wanted to strangle the little beast.  And her little sister?  DID stick her finger right into the front of the wedding cake prior to cake cutting photos and then threw a screaming hissy fit when made to move from in front of the cake so the B & G could do their cake cutting and toasts.
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
  • I am not having an adults only wedding, but I do cringe at the thought of hearing some unruly child screaming like a banshee during my ceremony. It happens all the time in my church. And the parents never get up to take them outside. They just let them carry on all throughout the service.

Afterthought: I may hire someone to keep a nursery during my ceremony and put a note of it in the programs. Would that be wrong? (Not forcing people to take their kids there, but to at least let them know they have the option?)

"I don't know guys, that's a really nice thing to have in your house. I have one similar saying written on the walls all over my quiet, neat, non-childproofed home. I have it in my brand new car as a decal on the window. I even wear it on a t-shirt for when I go out to dinner or hang out at a trendy bar or go on a relaxing vacation. "All because I use birth control." It still brings a tear to my eye..." SnarkyMcSnarkerson
  • I read like the first few pages and stopped, but I'll have a whole gaggle of kids at mine, I'll let you know how it goes!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_tell-time-child-ruined-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c0b0955a-7390-4f72-b02c-cb18904dffeaPost:9d2c79fd-eeeb-4f1d-9a2c-d2971e6fc2cc">Re: TELL ME ABOUT A TIME A CHILD RUINED YOUR WEDDING!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: TELL ME ABOUT A TIME A CHILD RUINED YOUR WEDDING!!! : <strong>Awesome. A kid's bouncer</strong> . I've heard it all today. And I think one of my eyeballs just froze in the down position while they rolled. My mom warned me about that. PS - Bold plus italics = sarcasm font.
    Posted by missy68[/QUOTE]
    Ahahaha can you imagine?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards