Hawaii

The Dress

akan66akan66 member
First Comment
So I was wondering what everyone is planning to wear or did wear for their wedding dress? I was wondering if anyone was opting to go for a shorter dress instead of a long one?

I've never really had the big white puffy princess dress idea for myself so I am open to something less traditional, but am still a bit on the fence. I was thinking short might be nice to make sure I stay cool the whole night.  I've seen some cute 60's inspired short sleeve tunic style dresses that I thought were super cute, but even a lot of the shorter dresses I've seen are a bit too sweet for my personal taste.

Just curious on everyones thoughts! :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: The Dress

• fabutanfabutan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Admittedly, I'm into the princessy ballgown look.  :)  To add a bit of unique flare to it, I'm thinking of a one-shoulder gown and a slightly different color (i.e. champagne). 

I've seen some beautiful weddings where the bride wore short dresses though.  :)  I think there are a few on Style Me Pretty.  If you like a vintage or 60's look, it would totally match!  And everything else in your wedding could be styled similarly...

Here are a few weddings with short dresses, I saw recently:
    http://www.stylemepretty.com/2010/04/19/new-york-wedding-by-craig-paulson/
    http://www.stylemepretty.com/2010/04/19/chic-short-a-little-white-dress-wedding/
  • edited December 2011
    Speaking of short dress look at the picture of a tea length dress in the blog below. It probably has too many layers for Hawaii but  I personally think it looks beautiful :).  

http://www.brendasweddingblog.com/blogs/?currentPage=26

I will be wearing a long gown.  I actually think about a month ago or so someone asked about the material for the dress, which I think is more important.  In other words, if you wear something that will keep the heat in then you'll be too hot.  I thought it was a really interesting discussion. I don't remember the title of it but perhaps doing a search for dress in hawaii or bridal dress will bring it up.
  • carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I need something with structure (I'm curvy and flowy dresses make me look preggers), and I wanted something long and weddingy without being too over the top and churchy.  So, I ended up with a beaded halter top dress with an a-line skirt made of white taffeta, with a chapel train (doing a French bustle).  Pictures in Bio under attire.
  • edited December 2011
    I also did not want a pretty-princessy type dress, but I wanted a wedding dress too. I felt that going short wasn't going to feel special enough. I ended up getting a long gown with a v-neck and some ruching. It's pretty plain, simple and classic but I love it! Just go with whatever you would feel comfortable in. I agree that the fabric will have a lot to do with how hot you will be!
  • akan66akan66 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Everyones dresses and ideas sound so gorgeous!  Thanks for the input!

I agree Aubrey that short might not feel "bridey" enough which is my hesitation.  Your dress sounds very pretty and more like something I had in mind.  I just don't want something over the top, and that is definitely location and weather appropriate and that doesn't make me look pregnant either! Oh and nothing that I have to wear spandax or anything else with!!  I definitely don't want to feel fussy! :)

Thanks for all the ideas!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I too have a more "traditional' wedding dress, although without a lot of embellishment, so it has a slightly more casual feel.  I have issues with the way my legs look in short dresses, so I knew that I was going to go with a long dress. 

That said, I was at a wedding last May where the bride wore a short dress (actually, since you are from Chicago - the wedding was at the Green Dolphin on Ashland Ave in the city, which is a casual venue so the dress worked well).  I think her dress was from Jenny Yoo - they do mostly bridesmaids dresses,but  have some lovely "bridal alternative" options, with a good selection of short dresses.
  • GoofygamineGoofygamine member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went with a custom dress from Chrissy Wai-Ching.  Hand-dyed silk in blues and greens like the ocean.  My wedding was beachside so everyone who sees my photos says I remind them of a mermaid coming up out of the water.  I'm throwing in a photo here that my MIL took.  You can get a better idea of Chrissy's work from her website:
    http://www.wai-ching.com/

• japnezdolljapnezdoll member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm wearing a traditional long wedding dress for the ceremony and begining part of the reception.  But I am thinking of changing into a more fun, short dress for the reception after dinner when the the dancing starts
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards