Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Southern food for vegetarians

Hello! This is my first post!

I got engaged a month ago and my FI and I actually booked our ceremony and reception site last weekend. We're getting married at a GORGEOUS 30 acre farm in Little Rock next September. My FI grew up in Arkansas and we met in college in Arizona where I'm from, and we moved to Arkansas together about six months ago. I'm still basically brand new to southern culture.

Anyway, I always pictured getting married somewhere modern and glamorous like a luxe hotel or big loft, and serving something fancy and exotic. Much to my surprise, after touring a loft, an art museum and a presidential library I had lukewarm feelings. We visited this farm and I had one of those bride moments where I knew it felt right and I cried and then we signed our contract. So now, I'm having my reception in a barn yard, literally, and I could not be more excited.

Since my side of the guest list is all travelling from AZ or New England, I thought it would be kind of fun to show them some of the local dishes. We're meeting with our caterer next month, but I was hoping to come up with some ideas before then. I basically want classed up southern food, or maybe even barbeque (although that sounds like bad news for my gown!) The problem is, for whatever reason I have quite a few vegetarian/vegan guests on my side. I can't think of how to do a vegetarian southern style entree, AT ALL. Does anyone have any suggestions on this at all?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Southern food for vegetarians

• I can't offer any advice, but I can tell you that your caterer is probably very familiar with some options. Any good caterer will have a way to plan a meal with vegetarians in mind. I wouldn't worry about it too much until you meet with them. It's a part of their everyday job. :)
  • random4180random4180 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    I've been vegan/vegetarian for over ten years. Some options which can easily be adapted to such a diet include mac and cheese, corn on the cob, baked beans, greens, grilled veggie kabobs, cornbread, veggie chili, pasta salad- that's what I can think of from the top of my head but there are lots of options! 
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_southern-food-for-vegetarians?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:67afb931-678a-4a05-9df0-5d40dfaa5fdfPost:fbb10d99-512b-434d-aa09-8be142c7820a">Re: Southern food for vegetarians</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've been vegan/vegetarian for over ten years. Some options which can easily be adapted to such a diet include mac and cheese, corn on the cob, baked beans, greens, grilled veggie kabobs, cornbread, veggie chili, pasta salad- that's what I can think of from the top of my head but there are lots of options! 
    Posted by random4180[/QUOTE]
    I've also been vegan/vegetarian for 10 years & agree on those options. Don't fret too much about it now. Once you meet with the caterer, let them know & they'll help you adapt dishes. I was starting to drive myself nuts trying to figure out whether or not my venue could make certain dishes vegan. That was such as waste of energy. How do I know!?! When I met with them & asked, everything was clarified. Considering 10% of the population is vegetarian, I'm sure you're caterers have an idea.
  • edited June 2012
    I agree with everyone else. Are you doing a buffet or plated dinner? If it's a buffet, just make sure everything other than the main meat options are vegetarian. In southern cooking, it's very popular to use pork or beef as flavoring - putting hamhocks in the greens, using lard in cornbread. Have your catering make everything that can be vegetarian, vegetarian. If it's a buffet, label everything that's vegan or vegetarian as such. As a vegetarian, I'd be perfectly happy with things like mac and cheese, greens, cole slaw, corn bread and baked beans, even if everyone else has BBQ or fried chicken as well!

For vegans, I think a veggie/tofu kabob with a nice rice pilaf and maybe some greens would be a good plated dish.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • GoofyAssChickGoofyAssChick member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2012
    We're doing the same kind of southern style food at our wedding reception, which is also being held in a barn!!  :-)  And so far everyone we have told of our plans seems to be really excited.  (I also just noticed we have the same wedding date too!)

Although we haven't officially booked a caterer, my fiance and I have written down exactly what we want to serve and have contacted different caterers in our local area to get bids on what we want.  In each of our menus we have asked for a vegetarian dish of some sort, but we've also asked for five side dishes.  Most of the vegetarian dishes they've come up with gear towards italian like vegetable lasgna or mosticholi.  Thankfully we have gotten a lot of reasonable bids!   

Good luck in your wedding planning! 
    Sept '13 Siggy: Hair Inspiration: photo 019944c286331ab6fdf602efadf91e9e_zps2908bf88.jpg photo 80abfd960b2f390596c647e6ec4518d9_zpsdfb581e8.jpg Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • ive actually tasted tofu fried "chicken " and really enjoyed it

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards