Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Venue Decisions- Please Help! (a little long)

My fiance and are having major trouble choosing between two reception sites: Landmark Center and Summit Manor, both in St. Paul.
Here is our conundrum: We are looking at a Friday or Saturday in Oct. 2011. My fiance's grandparents' and great-grandparents' anniversaries are both on the Saturday but only Summit Manor is available that Saturday, so we would have to go with the Friday if we went with Landmark.
Summit Manor provides a lot for us: catering, linens, chairs, etc, even centerpieces, but we would have to bring in all our own beverages (they provide a bar, glassware, ice, and bartenders). This would bring Summit Manor quite a bit above our budget, so that our reception (rental, food/beverage, cake) would cost about 2/3 of our wedding budget. We are also looking at about 185-200 guests, so I am concerned it may be a little cramped in a mansion.
Landmark Center only provides the space, tables and chairs, and bar services. We would have to find a caterer, but this would allow us a lot more flexibility, plus lots of vendors would be cheaper on a Friday. But I don't think we would be able to offer an open bar for anyone besides the bridal party, given the cost. We also got engaged right in front of Landmark Center, so that spot is pretty special for us. But then we wouldn't have the same anniversary as both my fiance's grandparents and great-grandparents, something that would also be very special. I'm not too concerned about a Friday wedding being inconvenient because I figure if people want to be there, they will make it work, and plus it is MEA weekend, so all (MN) kids are off school.
Any thoughts? Any experience with either site? Any advice? I've become far too obsessed with this and need some outside, objective opinions! Thank you!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Venue Decisions- Please Help! (a little long)

• tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would go with the Landmark Center. I would feel too cramped with a group that big at Summit Manor. The Landmark is much more open, you'll probably be less worried about the money, and I think the room itself is beautiful! Plus, the personal connection for you and the FI makes it even more special.
  • tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, another thing I wanted to mention, is that I would never think it was weird to go to a wedding without an open bar. Honestly, I don't think I've ever been to one. Usually, if anything, there's a keg and maybe cheap wine hosted, but that's it. Even if that wasn't the case, I wouldn't be upset about having to pay for my drinks.
  • hkieslinghkiesling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had our reception at Summit Manor.  I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have about it. 

Alcohol: We found that bringing our own drinks saved us a ton of money.  We had a completely stocked bar including cherries, soda, olives, juice, milk, 4 kinds of beer, 3 kinds of wine, and a fully stocked hard liquor selection.  The total came to about $600 (for 120 people).  Plus, we got to keep anything that was left over (and our liquor place let us return unopened bottles).  However, you could certainly do it for less by just hosting beer and wine and N/A drinks. 

Space: 200 people could be a little crammed in Summit Manor, however, if the weather is nice, SM sets out tables and chairs outside on the lawn.  People could really spread out if they wanted, and in October, the chances of nice weather are pretty good.

Food: Everyone raved about how good the food was.  We had the turkey and roast beef and I think it came to about $23 per person. 

Decorations: We saved a lot of money here, because we did virtually no decorating.  SM provided vases of fresh flowers for all of the tables, so no CPs either.  I put some hershey's kisses on the table and some fake leaves on the cake table.  Otherwise...nada.

I also loved working with David.  He was more than happy to accommodate me (even letting us do a popcorn buffet...all that popcorn on his pretty hardwood floors to clean!).  I couldn't recommend SM more.  Again, I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have, too.
  • rosebc118rosebc118 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Landmark Center is beautiful! The only thing I will say is the acoustics are awful... basically no one can ever hear the speech's (we have been to a couple there) but it is definitely spread out and open!

Sounds like a tough decision! You have 2 really great choices... one plus on SM is the providing your own booze... I would kill to do that, we are wasting so much money to use our venue's bar, I wish we had the option!
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • lboerner88lboerner88 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just recently went to a wedding at Summit Manor and it was beautiful. It was a little cramped and they only had about 90 people, so (in my opinion) I would not want to be there with 200. It was very beautiful though and the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. Hope that helps :)
  • hkieslinghkiesling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are you inviting 200 guests or expecting 200 guests?  Statistically, not all of those invite will be able to make it.  I agree that while SM can hold 200, it would be a bit cramped.  Consider also that a percentage of people (those with young kids and the elderly) might also leave right after dinner.  I think we had at least 20 people leave soon after dinner.
  • edited December 2011
    We will be inviting 200, so it would maybe end up being 170? I know there are about 15 people on my list that I'm pretty sure will not be there- assuming my FI has the same number that probably won't show, we would end up with closer to 170. But that's just a guess...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Have you looked at the Polish National Amercian Hall in NE Minneapolis. $1300, bring in your own bar and anyone can pour. Any caterer you want and you can start setting up the day before at no additional cost. They have tables and chairs on sight.
    http://www.pnahall.org/

Intelligent Nutrients has a modern space with an eclectic touch $1600 all of the above will work there as well. Evelyn is the contact
    www.intelligent<strong" rel="nofollow">www.intelligent>>nutrients.com

Cinema Ballroom in St. paul is another option $1500 tables, chairs, Linens, bring in your own bar and caterer etc.. http://www.cinemaballroom.com/private

Hope this helps.
  • graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have experience with both!!!

At one point Summit Manor was on the top of our list. We loved the site and that it came with so many items, but didn't go with it because we felt that the owner was very inflexible with his catering and was constantly beating around the bush on a la carte food pricing for us. We actually got the impression that he would rather not have our business because we were not willing to pay more for the bartender and full meals (which we found to be too simple and overpriced). He was supposed to send us an itemized list of food prices and never did. We never heard from him again after our second visit to the property when he promised to send the list so we could select menu items.

I used to work at the Landmark center (at the school upstairs) and saw a wedding set-up there every Friday. The school had prom there, too. Let me say that it is gorgeous!!! They have wonderful lighting, will drape fabric & lights throughout the cortille, and your guests will be really impressed by the venue. Picking your own caterer will save you TONS of money. Even if the Landmark is more to rent, you might still save with cheaper catering costs. The cafe they have in the building has awesome food and the friendliest owner! The one drawback to the location is parking. Your guests will have to pay to park at a nearby ramp and walk in. The ramp next to the St Paul Hotel is closest, followed by the Science Museum one. The Holiday Inn is cheapest.

All in all, I'd go with the Landmark. It is big enough to accomodate your guests and they wont be seated on 3 different levels. Having the freedom to pick your caterer is such a bonus and is really hard to find in local venues. Good luck!
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    We also looked at Summit Manor, and it was on the top of our list until we saw the St. Paul College Club for nearly the same price of $275/hr with us providing the liquor/beverages.  I've been to a wedding at Landmark Center (and work about 2 blocks from it).

Summit Manor is lovely, but keep in mind that they'll only seat 50 people on the main floor, including the WP table, and they're divided up into 3 rooms.  Most people would have to eat in the basement, which is lovely, but looked pretty cramped to me.  Hopefully it'll be a nice day and you can sit outside.  Their outside setup looked really sweet.  When FI and I went there, I was very concerned that David was pretty dismissive about the food.  He basically said "it's good, but nobody cares about it anyway."  Well, I care very much.  I also think I remember them not offering a tasting when you make your food decisions.  That did not sit well with me at all.  That said, it really is a beautiful place with a ton of character, and it's pretty cool that you get the whole place, but at least for us, everything else was a drawback. 

The Landmark Center wedding I went to (my cousin's) was beautiful, and I can vouch for the food being great from the cafe they have on site.  I eat lunch there all the time.  It's a beutiful open space where everyone can be together and not on 3 different levels.  Of your 2 choices, I'd go with this one.

Still, you should check out St. Paul College Club.  The hourly rental is exactly the same as Summit Manor, the ballroom can fit 152 people, the liquor policy is exactly the same, it's got the same feel as Summit Manor since it's also a mansion, and Wendie has been great to work with.  There's no off-street parking, but the other places don't offer it, either.  You can't bring in your own caterer, but unless that's a sticking point, it'd really be worth checking out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards