Pre-wedding Parties

Unexpected shower invite

Hi ladies!

I'm pretty sure I know what to do in this situation, but I thought I would tack this story up anyway and get a few other opinions.

I know it is extremely rude to invite people who are not invited to your wedding to the bridal shower. My MOH offered very kindly to throw me a shower, and asked me for a guest list. I gave her the list, which included only ladies who are invited to the wedding and who are close family or very close family friends (like my god mother). I found out recently that my MOH has invited her mother (whom I haven't spoken to in over 5 years and who is NOT on the wedding guest list) to the shower. I don't want to mention anything to my MOH (she knew I hadn't planned on inviting her parents to the wedding) because she tends to get over emotional and I don't want to start a fight or hurt her feelings. I feel like my only option here is to invite her parents to the wedding, even though I don't want to and hadn't planned to. Really, it seems like the simplest solution and the least rude. I'm just a little bitter that I now have to include 2 people on my guest list who I barely know and don't speak to/see.

Thanks for reading! Opinions are welcome and appreciated :-)
my read shelf:
Elysia's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: Unexpected shower invite

• banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could always act VERY surprised to see her mom at your shower.

It's your MOH's eff up - not yours.
  • edited December 2011
    Her mom probably offered to help her with the shower. She may not be expecting a wedding invitation, but I think I would send one to avoid hurt feelings. Think of it as a thank you to MOH for giving you a shower.

• lizstill13lizstill13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you can swing it, invite her to the wedding. If not, it's your MOHs fault and she can deal with it.
  • merivale87merivale87 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies :-) Great advice!
    my read shelf:
    Elysia's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • kkidd28kkidd28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had the same issue.  I thought about it, and as a thanks to my MOH for all her hard work, I'm gonna invite her Mom.  She's helping with the shower anyway and has recently divorced her father so its just 1 more person.  Plus it will be less drama to invite her than to not!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards