Connecticut

Non-floral centerpieces

Since we are thisclose to nailing down our caterer I figured I better start researching florists. Has anyone done non-floral centerpieces? Do you do them yourself? Rent them? I've included some pictures below of what I'm talking about. We are doing a "New England Nautical/Beach" theme. I <3 the lantern look, but am open to hurricane glasses because they seem to be easier to find/rent. TIA.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Non-floral centerpieces

• Carebear62584Carebear62584 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing nonfloral centerpieces too.  We are making them ourselves and will probably just give them away at the end of the night.  This is the idea of what we are doing...

We got a mix of oversized champagne and wine glasses.  Inside of them we are putting those blue and clear stones, a little water, and a floating candle (possibly some blue food coloring).  We are making the lampshades ourself out of vellum paper, scrapbooking scissors and punches.  Each one will be a little different.  They will also be placed on a round mirror with the same stones scattered around the base.

I've been to weddings where the DJ announces that whoesever birthday/anniversary is closest to the day of the wedding gets to keep the centerpiece.  Just an idea if you are making them yourselves and not renting them.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't have any info on renting non-floral center pieces but I really like all of the ones you posted, especially the first one. I would think you could find a lot of these items at Michaels or other craft stores. 
  • jnu1117jnu1117 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here is mine. We got everything at Christmas tree shop and in total they were less than $8 a piece. I loved them and people took them home and still have them. Much better than flowers that just diee in a few days.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • TBee99TBee99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    jnu1117- that's really similar to what i'm looking for!  i'll have to check out christmas tree shop for supplies. glad to hear it was so cost-effective!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 2bpescadita2bpescadita member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not sure when your wedding is I'm but hoping to sell my white lanterns towards the end of August. I have about 22 of them.
    PM if your interested so I can reserve them.
  • edited December 2011
    We are doing non-floral centerpieces, but renting them from the venue which may not help you much.  You might like one of the ideas, though: we will have sea glass and tiny shells scattered on the tables, under tiered candles (votives).  It's going to be beachy but still formal looking.
    imageimage
  • edited December 2011
    im doing flowers but i like the second photo.
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    TBee - if you want to buy lanterns, perhaps I could buy them off you when you're done?  We're looking for antique gold lanterns, but we can repaint them if you buy them.

Let me know!

Anniversary

• TBee99TBee99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    2bpescadita- sent you a PM!

calindi- i will keep you in the loop. i was looking more at white/black lanterns, but nothing is set in stone yet :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you buy the white ones, those would very easily be painted gold! Laughing

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    We are doing a similar theme to what you mentioned but are focusing more on adirondack chairs then the beach. We are getting married at The Riverhouse which overlooks the CT River. Plus we go boating on the river all summer long so we are trying to incorporate the river more so the beach into our wedding. We also decided not to do floral centerpieces to save money. I ended up getting hurrican vases at Christmas Tree Shops for about $3 each. Then we are filling them with blue sea glass and a tall pillar candle. I also looked into the lanterns but found that the hurrican vases were cheaper! I did find some lanterns at Ikea that were cheap, but too small for what we wanted!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards