Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Tropical Honeymoon with Seafood allergy?

Hi everyone!
We are researching where to go on our honeymoon the last 2 weeks of october--Booking June 12!!).  We have gone to Mexico (near puerto morales) in Feb; and fi has been on a carribean cruise.  My question is... if we go to an all-inclusive in the carribean, will the food be primarily fish based?  We didn't have too big of a problem when we went to mexico until the last day (the cook must have touched a fishy spatula into the eggs because FI had an allergic reaction and was sick 5 days afterwards). I kind of feel that mexico isn't going to be too big of a problem if we go again since it's not an island, but I'm not so sure about the DR or Jamacia.
To anyone who has been to the carribean, Do you think the food had enough variety outside of fish options? (Yes we are getting him an EPI pen.. he's also allergic to tree nuts too). Also, any other areas of Mexico that you recommend?

PS we also tell every server that waits on us about his allergies, but there's not much you can do about a buffett but hope for the best.

Re: Tropical Honeymoon with Seafood allergy?

• Options
    I don't eat seafood and I went to Turks and Caicos a few years ago and had no problem at all.  There were plenty of options for me to eat.  I think you should be fine.  Usually at the buffets there is a greeter, just let them know about your allergy.  Good luck!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_tropical-honeymoon-with-seafood-allergy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:d2cc307a-4197-4caa-8777-0c8f237fc1ccPost:d0ebc5ee-cd4c-4be4-a2a1-f996219a387c">Tropical Honeymoon with Seafood allergy?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi everyone! We are researching where to go on our honeymoon the last 2 weeks of october--Booking June 12!!).  We have gone to Mexico (near puerto morales) in Feb; and fi has been on a carribean cruise.  My question is... if we go to an all-inclusive in the carribean, will the food be primarily fish based?  We didn't have too big of a problem when we went to mexico until the last day (the cook must have touched a fishy spatula into the eggs because FI had an allergic reaction and was sick 5 days afterwards). I kind of feel that mexico isn't going to be too big of a problem if we go again since it's not an island, but I'm not so sure about the DR or Jamacia. To anyone who has been to the carribean, Do you think the food had enough variety outside of fish options? (Yes we are getting him an EPI pen.. he's also allergic to tree nuts too). Also, any other areas of Mexico that you recommend? PS we also tell every server that waits on us about his allergies, but there's not much you can do about a buffett but hope for the best.
    Posted by tiffanydibona[/QUOTE]

We have traveled all over the tropics (Caribbean, Tahiti, Fiji, Hawaii, Indian Ocean) and are non seafood eaters. My FI is also allergic to mango, which is almost everywhere nowadays. We have been to several all-inclusives and have found that even as non-seafood eaters and restricted by allergies, we have done fine. The higher end all inclusives, like Zoetry, are even more accommodating. Secrets and Couples also do pretty well since a lot of their restaurants are a la carte.

• Options
    Thanks a lot for your input!
  • Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2012
    Both H and I are allergic to seafood and we've been on cruises, stayed at AI's, and went to Fiji for our HM where they really focus on seafood dishes. There was always non-fish options at our meals on our HM and when we've been on cruises or staying at AI's in Mexico and the Caribbean there was plenty of variety to choose from that our allergies were never a problem.

Just always be very upfront with your waitstaff concerning your allergy and they'll accomodate you in case there's a dish you're unsure of. HTH!
  • Options
    We went to Jamaica on our HM and there were always plenty of non seafood options, there was always a steak and chicken option on the menu every night at dinner and actually more chicken and beef dishes on the lunch and breakfast buffets, so I definitely wouldnt worry about it, like PP said just make sure when you are ordering something at dinner to mention it to the waiter/waitress so they can tell the cooks just incase things are cooked on the same surface
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards