Pre-wedding Parties

Rehearsal Dinner timeline?

Hi All,
Just wondering, what actually goes on at a rehearsal dinner?  I understand people arrive, get some drinks, and eat.  But, are there toasts necessary?  If so, by whom?  What kinds of things need to take place at the rehearsal dinner?

Thanks!
Anne
Wedding Countdown Ticker
image 235 invited so far!
image 144 are ready to party!
image 91 will be missing out!
image 0 are MIA!

Re: Rehearsal Dinner timeline?

• edited December 2011
    Just wanted to add, I think it's a nice time for the B&G to thank their parents and wedding party.  And FSIL and FBIL gave out their wedding party gifts at the RD.
  • lilcasserslilcassers member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definately just a time to enjoy with the wedding party and family. Bride and groom should thank all of those who have helped withthe wedding and who have generally been there for them thru their lives.

This is also a time when you give your parents & wedding party their gifts.

Toasts and a certain menu & drinks are not necessary.

My bed friend just had a pizza party at her house for her rehearsal dinner since the person throwing it was on a budget. My other friend had her RD at a local family restaurant. To each their own!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Okay, I wish I having a pizza party.  I actually suggested it but got voted down.  FI and I were going to pay for RD but then my parents volunteered feeling bad for us since we are already paying for 90% of the wedding.  I feel bad now b/c they have no money to be paying for it so I'm going to try to at least pay for gratuity and tax.  We were only able to get the cost for them down to $30/pp which makes me sick to my stomach that it's so expensive.  It is not including alcohol thank God.  That will be up to guests to pay for.  We will be having about 50 people there since my parents want all my 6 siblings there with their spouses and 18 children, + BP and their SO,and parents.  I wish we could have done something casual at someone's house but we both live in the burbs in tiny apts and are having all the wedding activities take place in the city where there are no homes close by to have a meal.  It should still be lovely though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 0 are MIA!
  • edited December 2011
    Bride and Groom are supposed to do a toast and hand out their gifts to the Bridal Party- besides that, no other rules apply. Have fun and don't stay out too late so you look fresh in the morning. 
  • edited December 2011

I'll let FI know he needs to make a toast :) You know that's funny b/c that is what I am most worried about---staying up too late.  I am by nature a night owl so combine that tendency with all the excitement, I'm so afraid I wont be able to sleep.  I should avoid alcohol I guess and drink no caffeine that day.  Also, I should make sure I get up early on the day of rehearsal dinner, no sleeping in!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 0 are MIA!
  • edited December 2011
    Responding to your PP about the RD being expensive.  My FI and I are paying for our entire wedding and are on a strict budget and I found a nice Italian restaurant and we are having pizza, salad and bread sticks and it came out to 10.95/person before tax and gratuity and we are getting their private dining area. Maybe bring that idea up having a pizza party at a restaurant. I understand some people may think that having pizza a RD isn't that fancy but if you guys have fun and your guest are happy who cares. Maybe check into some nice pizza places and see if  you can cut 30/person in half.  The restaurant is actually called Antonio's and they have locations all over.  Liquor is totally up to our guest.  They'll have free liquor the following day:)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards