Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Food question

We are getting married at 7 o'clock at night and only having immediate family 20 people max.  Should I feed them after?  What should I make?

Re: Food question

• edited December 2011
    Yes definitely, and are you sure you want to cook on your wedding night?
  • edited December 2011
    Not sure about cooking but think I should do a little something, kids will be leaving right after the ceremony, and so only a few adults will stay for a bit after.

I get off work at 3:15 then drive 1 hour half to the ceremony location so I don't have that much time to prepare something (and it is in a very small town and with only 16 people it isn't worth catering)
  • edited December 2011
    Is there a restaurant in the town?
  • edited December 2011
    Nope it is out of town, nearest restaurant is 20 minutes away
  • Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Where is the ceremony? At a church or something?
    Heck, order pizza lol.

It might be late enough for you to get away with just a few dessert options instead of a huge dinner. You can prepare everything the night before and toss it in your car before you leave for the ceremony.
  • edited December 2011
    I wok till 3:15, then drive home, pick up my kids, then do my hair and makeup and drive to my fiancee's (1 hour and 1/2) then 15 minutes to the park where we are getting married I am going to be cutting it close.  So desserts is a good idea.
  • edited December 2011
    You can't take off on your wedding day!?
  • edited December 2011
    Wow, what a harried wedding day. That doesn't sound like much fun!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicTTC #1 since April '11.- BFP 7/3/11! - EDD 3/13/12 - Dean born 3/15/12! - Lovely Labor Buddies with PsychGirl33!! <3 </br> Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_food-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:39ed9c55-d508-43c8-94fc-7cd4d8b078e8Post:c2e8b665-6259-4012-8106-6bdb4efed4c7">Re: Food question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wok till 3:15, then drive home, pick up my kids, then do my hair and makeup and drive to my fiancee's (1 hour and 1/2) then 15 minutes to the park where we are getting married I am going to be cutting it close.  So desserts is a good idea.
    Posted by loriandedwin[/QUOTE]
    Hey if your fiance's place is only 15 minutes away, see if he can maybe scrounge up a little fruit platter or something really basic like that. You can usually find pre-prepared platters at grocery stores, so that'll be easy for him. This way, you can focus on some sweets and it's one less thing you have to worry about.

If you are taking your car to the venue, drop the plates, napkins, cups, forks/spoons, and any other paper roducts you need into your car the night before. This way, you don't have to worry about running that stuff to your car at any point. If you're taking his car, make sure everything is packed in his car at some point before the day of the wedding. The less you have to do the day of your wedding, the less hassled you'll be. good luck!
  • bltatabltata member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maybe see if you have a family member that may be attending and is willing to help bring some food from a local restaurant or caterer.  OR, with it being such a small, intimate affair, invite everyone to bring a dish to pass and make it a potluck.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I am going to try and get the day of the wedding off, but it being summer and days off are based on seniority I might not get it.  And I am off work with a back injury so I don't know if I can get it off or not.  I am working a term position till September, then I will move in with my future husband.  So the day of the wedding I will be cutting it close.   I am thinking desserts that I can freeze and he can take them out the night before and bring to the site.  And maybe he can pick up a meat/deli tray when he is done work.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_food-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:39ed9c55-d508-43c8-94fc-7cd4d8b078e8Post:828ec0a4-b65b-4c34-8ad8-7f5e44f74a6f">Re: Food question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Food question : Hey if your fiance's place is only 15 minutes away, see if he can maybe scrounge up a little fruit platter or something really basic like that. You can usually find pre-prepared platters at grocery stores, so that'll be easy for him. This way, you can focus on some sweets and it's one less thing you have to worry about. If you are taking your car to the venue, drop the plates, napkins, cups, forks/spoons, and any other paper roducts you need into your car the night before. This way, you don't have to worry about running that stuff to your car at any point. If you're taking his car, make sure everything is packed in his car at some point before the day of the wedding. The less you have to do the day of your wedding, the less hassled you'll be. good luck!
    Posted by Simply Fated[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. Have a grocery store put together a few platters and there you go.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • BlueBoxBrideBlueBoxBride member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    All you need really is a cheese tray, veggie platter, mini sandwiches or cold cuts platter and your cake. You could make the platters yourself the night before, since everything is served chilled.
    "I liked it, so I put a ring on it" - future Mr. Box
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_food-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:39ed9c55-d508-43c8-94fc-7cd4d8b078e8Post:2673e37f-03cf-4d81-9513-fd75a0d1586b">Re: Food question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Food question : I agree with this. Have a grocery store put together a few platters and there you go.
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

<div>This is much easier than trying to make it yourself.  Our bridesmaid and best man did this at their wedding, and it worked out great.  They went to Kroger and had veggie trays, cheese and crackers, fruit and little wraps.  I think they only spent $150 (but she worked there, so she may have gotten a 10% discount), and it was plenty to feed 80 people for lunch.</div>
  • edited December 2011
    Our best men are our 18 year old sons so I don't think I would trust them to get the trays.

I will have to get it or get my finacee to do it
  • edited December 2011
    Something like hot turkey/chicken sandwiches or pulled pork sandwiches you can just keep warm in a crock pot. Have it on a timer so it turns on when you want it and then you could have something a little more homemade but hands off for you on the day of. Or I love the idea of soup. You could do the same type of thing with that. Have a few crockpots with different soups and then just have some good bread and a dessert to go with it. A lot of soup you can put together a week ahead of time and undercook it and then freeze and finish cooking it the day of and it tastes just like it was fresh. That would save you some work.
  • iloveu4everiloveu4ever member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_food-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:39ed9c55-d508-43c8-94fc-7cd4d8b078e8Post:cd4d3779-2915-417c-8783-a88c820ec07d">Food question</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are getting married at 7 o'clock at night and only having immediate family 20 people max.  Should I feed them after?  What should I make?
    Posted by loriandedwin[/QUOTE]

What time of the year is this?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards