Wedding Etiquette Forum

Vents go here.

2»

Re: Vents go here.

• I used to hate when I'd be taking an order at one table and someone at another table would start waving at me to come to them that very second. Seriously, can you see that I'm busy with another table? Chill out and wait your turn.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't think I could ever do retail or waitress for those exact reasons. I have little to no patience with people who are absolutely rude because they feel like it gets them somewhere. I'm pretty cranky and irritable a lot, but even I can filter it and smile when dealing with someone else. I get yelled at all the time here, like them screaming is going to make me find loopholes. If they're nice, loopholes are all over the place.
  • Seriously, you ladies deserve a medal or something. I think trying to be a server would give me a heart attack! At least as a cashier if a customer is being very rude you can be snippy back and not worry about it affecting your pay. I always try to ve very very kind to my servers. 

Once I saw my server be put almost in tears by how rude the customer at a nearby table was being. I was so angry about it - she was a really sweet girl. I remember wanting to offer her a $50 tip to "spill" his coffee in his lap. But I didn't think she'd go for it somehow : p
  • edited April 2012

Ha! I saw this girl get yelled at by this rude woman and she "accidentally" knocked a drink down the womans back, and then winked at me. It was awesome. I actually did tip her quite a bit extra for that one.

• Bree, that sounds like a place in my hometown. A friend of mine works there and she was just saying it's nice that the weather should be getting good again soon because that's when they get the most tips, from the patio drinkers.
  • LoopysevenLoopyseven member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2012
    Yeah - usually the ones who are the biggest PITA's are the one who aren't going to leave a decent tip regardless of how good their service is.
  • Ha.  Thanks :).
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_vents-go-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0db30d39-d624-4d9f-a449-68c2c1efc2f5Post:3e04f14b-f554-4bc7-9fc8-c1885ae3aa92">Re: Vents go here.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I hate the service at Walmart, but it's a trade off I suppose. I work for an insurance company, and someone sent a mass email to everyone associated with our company, asking for donations for the relay for life/cancer walk fundraiser coming up. No big deal, but everyone kept "replying to all". People didn't read anything, because a solid 40 emails came through for 2 hours saying "don't hit reply to all". People need to fvcking pay attention. It froze our crappy computers up. No need to send 50 something emails to everyone in the damn company.
    Posted by brittneyh4[/QUOTE]

I work for an international corporation, and one of our France properties sent an email to the ENTIRE corporation. Three days of people saying "don't reply to all" while doing EXACTLY what they're telling people not to do.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_vents-go-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0db30d39-d624-4d9f-a449-68c2c1efc2f5Post:e0b837d5-4379-4500-b43d-17488ef8649e">Re: Vents go here.</a>:
    [QUOTE]My vent is that I've had horrible anxiety lately and I just want it to go away. I'm prescribed medicine for occasional anxiety, but this is hardly occasional at this point and I can't keep popping benzos all the time. Right now, I'm just trying to deal with it, but it feels like I can't breathe. I have some things going on right now, so I guess it's likely related to that... I just feel like I've been stressed out and anxious for most of the last 3 months and it's driving me nuts. Also, there are oreos in the house and we're out of milk. I'm too exhausted to get milk, so I'm just SOL on that for the moment.
    Posted by angelstar975[/QUOTE]

Do you see a counselor at all for this? I went to one that taught me coping mechanisms to deal with my anxiety before it got out of control. If you're not, I suggest trying to find one that may be able to help you.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_vents-go-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0db30d39-d624-4d9f-a449-68c2c1efc2f5Post:a681e34e-42dc-4fbf-a638-84382cfb1fd2">Re: Vents go here.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey, are we bitching about retail jobs in here?  A lot of people suck.  The end.  :) Poke, I'm sorry your mom is being what my niece would call "a poopyface."  I don't blame you for wanting to be there to make sure your mom doesn't go with an unnecessary VIP alterations package or skates off with some of your cash.  Also.  Walmart is the tenth circle of hell.  I do not shop there for a number of reasons.
    Posted by EaglesBride2012[/QUOTE]

<div>Ha, I like your niece : ) </div><div>
    </div>
  • My vent is that I am STILL at work tonight, because my boss had a communication fail on the deadline front (he gave me the deadline for him to get the work product to the client, rather than the deadline for me to get the work product to him when I originally asked him when this project was due and I found out approximately 2 hours ago that I don't have five more days to finish this thing).

imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Boooo Steph's boss!!!  : (
  • I fell asleep and this thread has since died, but no, I haven't seen a counselor for it... it's a fairly new development (the daily anxiety, at least) and I guess I've just been hoping it would go away. The issue is that the new health insurance I'm gong to have doesn't cover mental health, so I'd have to pay out of pocket.

And Eagles, no I'm at Penn State World Campus (which is their online virtual campus.)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_vents-go-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0db30d39-d624-4d9f-a449-68c2c1efc2f5Post:3da1bba0-d92d-4d53-ba57-69d7962b820c">Re: Vents go here.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Seriously, you ladies deserve a medal or something. I think trying to be a server would give me a heart attack! <strong>At least as a cashier if a customer is being very rude you can be snippy back and not worry about it affecting your pay.</strong> I always try to ve very very kind to my servers.  Once I saw my server be put almost in tears by how rude the customer at a nearby table was being. I was so angry about it - she was a really sweet girl. I remember wanting to offer her a $50 tip to "spill" his coffee in his lap. But I didn't think she'd go for it somehow : p
    Posted by pokepoke27[/QUOTE]

<div>Well, I don't know where you've been working, but usually being snarky back to a customer leads to that customer complaining, which definitely does affect your pay.</div><div>
    </div><div>Of course, I now work for a company that will write me up if I don't say hello to everyone who comes in the door. Literally. It's in the goddamn policy.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_vents-go-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0db30d39-d624-4d9f-a449-68c2c1efc2f5Post:4b97011f-d54f-490c-93da-f570f1ce3d64">Re: Vents go here.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hmm.  I wonder if you could still see a counselor at at PSU campus since you're a student.  I don't know where you are (internet safety is important) but if you're in Montco you could maybe go to Abington.  I know you work too.  I wish I had some other ideas for you.  You should at least talk to your GP; mine was really helpful when I went through a period of intense anxiety a couple years ago.  And seriously, if you just want to vent or something, PM me.  I'm good at being confidential. 
    Posted by EaglesBride2012[/QUOTE]

I do live near a PSU campus (although not that one) so maybe I can look into that. I'm a psych major and a professor I had at that campus is actually really good friends with one of the mom's I nanny for so I still see him sometimes. Maybe I'll ask him for a recommendation. And I may take you up on the PM thing. I'm worried that if I talk to my GP, she'll want her to take the medicine I currently have away in favor of a daily antidepressant, which I'd rather not do. If this goes on much longer, I'll have to talk to her.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_vents-go-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0db30d39-d624-4d9f-a449-68c2c1efc2f5Post:66033112-db75-45c6-9138-ec5e09fc78ae">Re: Vents go here.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vents go here. : Well, I don't know where you've been working, but usually being snarky back to a customer leads to that customer complaining, which definitely does affect your pay. <strong>Of course, I now work for a company that will write me up if I don't say hello to everyone who comes in the door. Literally. It's in the goddamn policy.</strong>
    Posted by Anysunrise[/QUOTE]

I would not be able to take this. First of all, I don't care to say hello to everyone who walks in anywhere. Plus, I find it really annoying when I walk in to a store and they immediately jump on me to say hi and ask if I need help. No, I don't. I'll ask you if I do. I think you work for a bank though, so that's different than a retail store... you don't harrass people.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_vents-go-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0db30d39-d624-4d9f-a449-68c2c1efc2f5Post:afa803f4-445a-4588-a6a4-618b84dc9b77">Re: Vents go here.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vents go here. : I would not be able to take this. First of all, I don't care to say hello to everyone who walks in anywhere. Plus, I find it really annoying when I walk in to a store and they immediately jump on me to say hi and ask if I need help. No, I don't. I'll ask you if I do. I think you work for a bank though, so that's different than a retail store...<strong> you don't harrass people.</strong>
    Posted by angelstar975[/QUOTE]

<div>No, we do. We have sales goals. Normally, it's getting people to sign up for interest bearing accounts with a large balance, credit cards, loans, etc. but right now they switched up all the accounts and we're having to push the 6 dollar a month account (we have a free, $3, $12 and $18 one too, for checking). It makes me die a little inside, which is why I try to avoid it when I can.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_vents-go-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0db30d39-d624-4d9f-a449-68c2c1efc2f5Post:41950a76-e6d4-444c-a571-f941f306183f">Re: Vents go here.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vents go here. : No, we do. We have sales goals. Normally, it's getting people to sign up for interest bearing accounts with a large balance, credit cards, loans, etc. but right now they switched up all the accounts and we're having to push the 6 dollar a month account (we have a free, $3, $12 and $18 one too, for checking). It makes me die a little inside, which is why I try to avoid it when I can.

I hear you. When I was waitressing, we had to try to upsell everything and I hated trying to talk people into getting things they didn't really want. I mean, it was good in that higher bills mean higher tips but I'm just no good at trying to talk people into things that I myself wouldn't get. "Don't you want to get that higher end tequila in your mojito that you won't even taste the difference?"
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_vents-go-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0db30d39-d624-4d9f-a449-68c2c1efc2f5Post:66033112-db75-45c6-9138-ec5e09fc78ae">Re: Vents go here.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vents go here. : <strong>Well, I don't know where you've been working, but usually being snarky back to a customer leads to that customer complaining, which definitely does affect your pay.</strong> Of course, I now work for a company that will write me up if I don't say hello to everyone who comes in the door. Literally. It's in the goddamn policy.

<div>To me snippy=/=snarky. More like a passive agressive thing that would be hard to make a formal complaint against.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_vents-go-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0db30d39-d624-4d9f-a449-68c2c1efc2f5Post:271e972c-afe3-4e48-9431-d9d5ad9506ee">Re: Vents go here.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vents go here. : To me snippy=/=snarky. More like a passive agressive thing that would be hard to make a formal complaint against.
    Posted by pokepoke27[/QUOTE]

<div>Gotcha.</div>
  • Well, I would never expect a part time minimum wage employee to be professional and polite in the face of extreme rudeness from customers. 

For example, when an employee complains about the state of the bathrooms to you when you're not clocked in (coat on, name tag off, etc) and you reply with a:
    "Well ma'm, to my knowledge they were just cleaned an hour ago." and she grabs your arm to forcibly show you the sign saying "If these restrooms do not meet your standards please inform a Manager." I don't see anything wrong with replying
    "Well, I'm not a manager but someone at the Customer Service Desk will be more than happy to call one for you." in a less than peppy tone of voice. 

I would never be rude to a customer that hasn't crossed the line with me. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards