Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Which Vendors to Tip??

Hello!  I tried to find something on this subject quickly on the board but didn't see anything recently.  I wanted to see what the proper etiquette is on tipping vendors.  Here are my "vendors"....

Deacon for ceremony - already paying a set amount for the Church (not sure if he gets any of this??)
Organist for ceremony - already paying a set amount
Florist
Videographer
Photographer
Catering (food and alcohol - it is their reception venue)
Coordinator - paying hourly
Cake
DJ - this is one of my fiance's friends, not a super close friend, they are giving us a little break on cost.
Limo (gratuity is already added in, so good here)
Hair & Makeup - was definitely planning to tip

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!  I just know that we are already spending a lot and paying a lot to the vendors I just wasn't sure which way to go on these!

Thanks!

Re: Which Vendors to Tip??

• Options
    Tips are not required.  Ever.

I would have tip money available for all of your vendors and then decide that day what they get (if any) according to the service they provide.

For the DJ who is a family friend, I would probably not tip him with money but rather buy him a gift card to a restaurant and include that with a wonderful thank you note.

For the the caterer I would read over your contract.  They may have already included gratuity into the cost.  If not, I would definitely tip the serving staff.

As for the rest I would do a case by case basis with the service provided and if you were disappointed, happy or ecstatic with what was done.

• Options
    MrsMack10612MrsMack10612 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_which-vendors-to-tip?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:db55426a-5956-4b8f-bf0c-968f573b31d8Post:833c0c22-773c-46f3-a909-ee2ba23c43e4">Which Vendors to Tip??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello!  I tried to find something on this subject quickly on the board but didn't see anything recently.  I wanted to see what the proper etiquette is on tipping vendors.  Here are my "vendors".... Deacon for ceremony - already paying a set amount for the Church (not sure if he gets any of this??) Organist for ceremony - already paying a set amount Florist Videographer Photographer Catering (food and alcohol - it is their reception venue) Coordinator - paying hourly Cake DJ - this is one of my fiance's friends, not a super close friend, they are giving us a little break on cost. Limo (gratuity is already added in, so good here) Hair & Makeup - was definitely planning to tip Any advice would be greatly appreciated!  I just know that we are already spending a lot and paying a lot to the vendors I just wasn't sure which way to go on these! Thanks!
    Posted by allenderzimmer[/QUOTE]

Deacon:  He probably doesn't get anything from the Church; if this is a Catholic Church, check with him.  We were told we were not allowed to the tip the priest so there may be rules.

Organist:  This is your call; it was suggested that we tip ours, but since we were already paying for services for the music director of the church we weren't using, I don't think we tipped her much.

Florist:  No.

Videographer/Photographer:  Only if they are NOT the owner of the company.  So any assistants they may have yes.

Catering:  Like PP said, check your contract, it may or may not be already included.  Keep in mind, you ONLY need to tip on the actual cost of the food, like you would in a normal restaurant.  Do not tax on the service or any rental fees.

DJ:  Even though he is a not so close friend, but still a friend, I would also do what PP said and do something more personal than cash.

• Options
    Follow KJ's advice. I ended up only tipping my florist eventhough he was the owner. He just did such an amazing job and went above and beyond my expectations.

Our Church didn't allow any additional tips for the Pastor and the music was an additional fee so we didn't tip.

Our photograper owned his own company and it was he and his son so we didn't tip.

Gratituity was included in everything else.
  • Options
    Great, thank you all for the advice!!!
  • Options

This was a great question!

I have a question off of this? As a bride with A LOT of things to do on your wedding day; would you be in charge of handing out tips... or would you pass this off to someone like the MOB to hand out tips?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards