Attire & Accessories Forum

Bridesmaids wearing different fabrics

So my mom got it into everyone's heads that if the BM's aren't going to wear the same dress (scandalous), then they should at least be in the same fabric and have a similar element, ie: ruching, waistband, etc. 

I want to show FI and my other BM's that it's okay to wear different fabrics, as long as the color is the same. I really really really want my girls to be able to wear their dresses again. That is the only thing that matters to me, besides the color and the length. 

So, some details and then please share some pictures with me! Color is red, like scarlet red, and they should be knee or cocktail length. Some of the girls love chiffon, one is in love with a satin dress. I don't really care, as long as they love it. 

Oh, and I know that I still have plenty of time, but my BM's got excited and wanted to start dress shopping and now it's turned into this debate. *raise hand* guilty as charged.

ETA: Feel free to tell me I'm totally wrong, as well, but please give me some photographic evidence!
--------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary

Re: Bridesmaids wearing different fabrics

• I think that if you want a more uniform color you're going to want them all in the same fabric. A color in a fabric like chiffon looks very different than it does in taffeta. Same with a satin, the color's going to look much different  shiny than it will in a more matte finish. If the color is what's important I might have them get it in the same fabric but different styles, you might even be able to find different designers that use the same fabrics and colors. If you don't care about variations in the color (which could be minimal, but also could be quite stark, even with the same designer, depending on fabric), then I think what you're doing is fine. 
  • While I agree that different fabrics of the same color will look slightly different, I didn't care. I also wanted my BP to be able to wear them again, so I gave them a color and let them pick whatever style and fabric they liked.
  • All fabrics photograph differently.  Like Divinemsbee said, depending on the fabric the colors will look different.  Now if you are ok with this then go ahead and let them buy whatever they want, but if you want to try to have something that unifies them then stick with the same fabric and let them choose from there.

• Thanks!! I do really care about the color, so I think I am going to hit up a store close to home and look at dresses in same color, different fabric and see if it looks okay. So far, my two local BMs don't like the idea of different fabrics when they tried on dresses a few weeks ago. I may cave to them, which is okay, since they're the ones paying so much!

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_bridesmaids-wearing-different-fabrics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:39637f04-4342-426c-84a6-1a710c89d6fbPost:aa3f4d20-892f-46f1-be7c-eb6aaccfa79e">Re: Bridesmaids wearing different fabrics</a>:
    [QUOTE]While I agree that different fabrics of the same color will look slightly different, I didn't care. I also wanted my BP to be able to wear them again, so I gave them a color and let them pick whatever style and fabric they liked.
    Posted by Kris012[/QUOTE]

<div>This. I'm not one of those people who cares about the uniformity of the BM's dresses. I just wanted it to have a "theme" (if you will). Iff you don't care about that too much, then let them choose their own. If you do, I'd choose the fabric or a certain line from a brand and then let them choose from that.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_bridesmaids-wearing-different-fabrics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:39637f04-4342-426c-84a6-1a710c89d6fbPost:6f00340e-d84e-487d-b9f6-36cedadc732c">Re: Bridesmaids wearing different fabrics</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks!! <strong>I do really care about the color, so I think I am going to hit up a store close to home and look at dresses in same color, different fabric and see if it looks okay.</strong> So far, my two local BMs don't like the idea of different fabrics when they tried on dresses a few weeks ago. I may cave to them, which is okay, since they're the ones paying so much!
    Posted by audrewuh[/QUOTE]

<div>If you have a camera, or at least a camera on your phone that isn't too bad, take pictures of them, preferably with flash. They might look pretty similar under store lighting, but in pictures is where it's really going to matter. </div>
  • I was in a wedding with 8 bridesmaids and we all wore different dresses. The requirements were black and knee length, or cocktail length. I wore a satin dress very similar to another girl's and there were at least two dresses that were chiffon. We all look really good together. There were strapless, sweatheard, ruched, halter, etc. To make it fun we each had a different color shoe we wore. I was bright purple! The bride did the same thing you are planning, she wanted us to be able to wear the dresses again and definitely wanted us to be flattered by our dress. I haven't worn mine since (2 years ago) but I definitely appreciated the ability to have a style that flattered my not-so-perfect shape.

I don't have a picture of us all together, but here is a picture of a friend who let her wedding party chose their own dresses. All are of different materials and style and I think they look great.

• audrewuhaudrewuh member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_bridesmaids-wearing-different-fabrics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:39637f04-4342-426c-84a6-1a710c89d6fbPost:b69868aa-a102-42e5-af3d-53f5fc18bc5b">Re:Bridesmaids wearing different fabrics</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Bridesmaids wearing different fabrics: Stop stressing so much over them wearing it again. The only time I've worn a BM dress again and I've bought 9 was for the wedding where I got to wear something I actually already owned. You're being great by letting them pick their own style, but seriously, there's still a good chance they might not wear it again. And that's okay.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

<div>Thanks for that. You're right, even if they don't wear it again, at lesat they looked good in pictures that will be around for a while. I guess I am stressing on that too hard. </div>

• Ask the dress maker to make different styles into same fabric. It will looks much better in matching together.
  • I know this thread is dead, but just wanted to throw it out there.  I had my BM in whatever yellow, short dress they wanted and I think it turned out awesome, because they were all comfortable.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards