April 2013 Weddings
Options

Totally random

I had to say this somewhere... I am sooooo skeeved out right now. So backstory- my old house where I used to live with my parents, there was this girl who lived in the neighborhood a few houses away from us. She was like 4 or 5 years younger than me and she was friends with my sister who was a year younger than her. 

Every time she was over our house she'd go right to my littlest siblings (I'm the oldest of 9 so there was always a new baby in the house) and hold them and kiss them and tell them she loved them and to make them tell her they love her too. It didn't take long for both my mom and I to be completely creeped out by this chick and think something was wrong with her and forbid her from coming over..

She did this to every family in the neighborhood. She's like 18 now and wakes up every morning and stands at the bus stop and watches all the kids in the neighborhood go to school then waits there when they come home. Some parents feel bad cause she's an outcast but others realize she's a creep and tell her to get away from their kids. She goes over my friend's moms house to play with her 7 year old brother now. 

A few years ago she called DYFS on my mom telling them my parents kept loaded guns in the house  (not true- my stepdad had a registered hunting rifle kept in a locked bag in the top shelf of their closet, and he never had bullets in the house cause he only used them when he went hunting with his dad) and saying there was a mold problem (literally ridiculous and completely pulled from her ass) so my mom went through being completely horrified and embarrassed having a DYFS worker in her home asking her children if they felt safe. Also didn't take long for them to realize there was no mold problem and no loaded guns and that situation blew over but still, are you F*CKING kidding me?? 

So I just found out this girl is pregnant and I literally feel awful and scared for her kid. I truly swear this girl has some sort of issue and is way too attached to young children. ANYONE who knows her feels the same way. She still tries to talk to my sister a lot but my sister moved out of state for college so she doesn't have much contact thank goodness. 

Really this is just a rant but seriously. I'm like blown away and disgusted right now after hearing this
158 Invited image | 68 will be there image |6 can't make it image | 84 still need to reply! image
RSVP Deadline: 4/6/13
4/26/13 March Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaid Dresses

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Totally random

• Options
    That's just nuts!  Where are her parents when she's out freaking out the whole neighborhood and obsessing over little kids?  I worry for that poor baby.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
    20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8th
  • Options
    That is so weird. I don't even know what to say.
  • Options
    Do you know if she has any disabilities? I only ask because I had a similar neighbor. She is a few years older than me but has the mind set of a younger child. She has good intentions but just doesn't know any better.
  • Options
    Her parents aren't in the picture and she was raised by her grandmom. She now lives with one of my old friends father in the same neighborhood. Nothing is mentally wrong with her as far as a diagnosed condition.. She's just really, really, really weird. I had heard she started sleeping around but with her 5 year old mentality I never believed it.. But now I guess it's true.
    158 Invited image | 68 will be there image |6 can't make it image | 84 still need to reply! image

• Options
    edited February 2013
    It sounds like she is mentally ill or mentally challenged in some way, even if it isn't with a diagnosed condition. My heart goes out to her, and to her child. I hope that the state can step in and ensure a healthy family life for both of them. 

Sometimes these things go overlooked when there is so much need and budgets are so tight in this economy, so I can only pray that someone in the community steps up and takes action. Maybe it can be you? Have you made a call to DYFS to let them know the situation?
  • Options
    I've already thought about it because I know there is no way in hell this girl can take care of a child and she's already all like yay! Look at me I'm having a baby! And I can just see the train wreck in progress. Would DYFS even take me seriously if she hasn't had the kid yet? It's just a messy situation. I would love if this girl would consider adoption but she is so yearning for attention I wouldn't put it past her to make a baby suffer JUST so people can say aww look at your baby.. It's not even the usual situation where a teen mom has parents to rely on.. Her grandmother is a loony from what I remember so I doubt shed help much.

• Options
    How do you know she has the mentality of a 5 year old?  Did someone tell you that, or are you just going based on how she acts?

You can definitely call and alert DYFS - they can open a non-abuse case and follow her through her pregnancy.  If she doesn't go to the doctor and take care of herself and prove she can be a fit mother after the baby is born, they will remove the baby and give her a chance to pull it together.  Or they could take the baby right from the hospital if they feel she's unable to care for it properly.

The fact that she's living with a male, non-family member and has the mentality of a 5 year old is a HUGE red flag to me (as a former social worker) for possible sexual exploitation.  Even people who seem kind and loving on the outside can be totally different behind closed doors.  I'd definitely make that call, just to protect the girl and make sure her baby is given a chance at a decent life.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
    20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8th
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_totally-random?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:51af4fa6-022e-4d1e-bb24-41999fd13b7cPost:8b7ac5da-6712-4289-a923-91276f171766">Re:Totally random</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've already thought about it because I know there is no way in hell this girl can take care of a child and she's already all like yay! Look at me I'm having a baby! And I can just see the train wreck in progress. Would DYFS even take me seriously if she hasn't had the kid yet? It's just a messy situation. I would love if this girl would consider adoption but she is so yearning for attention I wouldn't put it past her to make a baby suffer JUST so people can say aww look at your baby.. It's not even the usual situation where a teen mom has parents to rely on.. Her grandmother is a loony from what I remember so I doubt shed help much.
    Posted by allychase[/QUOTE]

<div>I would think DYFS has to take all calls seriously (which is why your parents were subjected to their investigation, even though this girl is clearly not well). Additionally, I think the sooner they can get in the picture, the better. They may be able to help her with prenatal care to make sure the baby is healthy at birth. And if she does decide to give the baby up, or the state takes the baby away, at least it is a healthy, adoptable child.</div><div>
    </div><div>If it were me, I would call them. If they don't know about her, and if she's not in the system, they can't help. At least once she is in the system, there is a record of it, and a paper trail that they can follow later.</div>
  • Options
    I've known her for the last 13 years since we first moved in the neighborhood and she literally hasn't changed since she was whatever age she was back then. The only thing now is she's got a more physically mature body and is starting to look for attention is more negative ways. It sounds awful but she's not like an attractive person so its not like she's got the attention of a ton of guys which is how we're like... Who got her pregnant. Ill talk to my friends mom who sees the girl like every day since they're neighbors

• Options
    Is the father of the child the person she lives with?  I agree with the PP that if so, that seems like sexual exploitation.  And if he's not the father, who is the father?  It takes two to tango (or make a baby) and from the way you're describing her, it seems she may need protection.
    White Knot Wedding Countdown Ticker 168 invited image | 61 are coming image | 10 can't make it image | 97 still need to reply! image
    RSVP Deadline: March 9th
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards