New Jersey

New to the boards

Hello all, I am recently engaged and wondering what kind of planning should I be doing 2 years out from the wedding date? I don't exactly have a date just yet.

Re: New to the boards

• edited December 2011
    We are planning our wedding just under a year out, so I don't have any advice for you.  Just wanted to say congrats on your engagement and welcome! 
  • LissyM83LissyM83 member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_new-boards-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:a996ec41-dce3-4257-aed4-a2cea3e16d75Post:e95709d4-a99d-4b22-a785-3bd7fe202e40">Re: New to the boards</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are planning our wedding just under a year out, so I don't have any advice for you.  Just wanted to say congrats on your engagement and welcome! 
    Posted by sharstin[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Hi! Congrats & Welcome! Our engagement is a little under 22months. When we first got engaged, we took time to enjoy our engagement & then started planning a few months later. The most important thing to do right now is to set a budget & get a general idea of a guest count (b/c places will ask you how many people you anticipate). Once you have that done, you can narrow down reception halls you're interested in looking at & make appointments. If you're getting married in a Church, book your date simultaneously when you book your RH. Have fun!</div>
    September 2012 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing about October-Yankees Playoffs! image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to the board! I'm glad you found your way here!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • GolfChick78GolfChick78 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    First, let me say that this board will be a wealth of information for you; it has for me and I'm sure many others.

The first thing to do is make sure your date is open with your church (assuming you're getting married in one) and then you want to shop venues to make sure you can find the right facility for you and your budget; one that also has your date available.

It's almost as though your date is not your date until your church and venue are locked down.  Once you have that, it's on to other more fun things like the dress, photographer, entertainment, etc.
  • GiGiV2012GiGiV2012 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to the boards! I hope you love it here as much as I do :)

I'm a planner by nature so as soon as I got engaged, I got right down to business. I have to say that it makes me feel better knowing that everything is done so now I can really ENJOY my engagement.

Like the other knotties said, I recommend identifying a potential guest list, seeking out your church (if you have one) and your reception venue first. Keep in mind, however, that GOOD vendors book up quickly so if you have your heart set on the best, don't wait until the last minute.

Happy Planning!
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome!

I agree with the PPs....guest list first, then find a venue. If you are having a church wedding, I recommend going there first and finding a few date that the church has available that you are interested in and then go to your venue to see which of those dates are available.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards