Registry and Gift Forum
Options

thank you notes now?

We have received a few gifts from friends who will not be able to attend our wedding.  I really want to send out thank you's after the wedding with a picture on them of us from the big day.  Is it rude to wait or should I send out the thank you cards now? Or if I wait should I verbally say thank you now? Confused!

Re: thank you notes now?

• Options
    When is your wedding?  If it's next week I'd say okay but if you have a few months I think it's too long.  Plus, if you are sending the thank yous with photos, those can take a week or two to come back after the wedding.  If you do decide to wait, though, you should definitely verbally thank them now so they know you got it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Mrs.B6302007Mrs.B6302007 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited May 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_thank-notes-now?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:8cd37f0a-1658-4248-b067-8839e56e65d0Post:8b639cec-0b1b-45dc-a783-2e34310992d5">thank you notes now?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We have received a few gifts from friends who will not be able to attend our wedding.  I really want to send out thank you's after the wedding with a picture on them of us from the big day.  Is it rude to wait or should I send out the thank you cards now? Or if I wait should I verbally say thank you now? Confused!
    Posted by mlprck27[/QUOTE]

You need to send them now so that the givers know the gifts arrived.
    You still have several weeks until your wedding.  Add another several weeks to get the pictures back and you're looking at 6 weeks not even including how much time has gone by already since they gave you the gifts.  Plus, the more you can get done now, the fewer you'll have to do later after your honeymoon.

The TY is MORE important than the picture.  You need to seriously reconsider the picture idea if it's going to delay prompt TYs.  Guest spent their hard-earned money on gifts for you and they deserve to be properly and promptly thanked.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    yes, send it now. it will also feel good to have less to write after the wedding.

keep track of what people got you as well.
  • Options
    We had the same dilemma about our wedding announcment cards - we wanted something with a picture from the big day, but then we realized that we'd have to wait until after the honeymoon to even order them, and then another 2 weeks... it would be literally a month or MORE after the wedding before people would start receiving them.  Then, we scheduled a photo shoot with our photographer for the pictures and went ahead and ordered the cards.  Ultimately I'm glad we went ahead and ordered the cards, because I can work on addressing them now so that my MOH or mom can mail them Monday as we are on the honeymoon.  Anyway... maybe just schedule a photo session where you both dress very nice, and wear your wedding bands, and get that picture on the TY card instead of waiting.  
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Options
    Another option if you're really wanting to do picture TY cards is to use an engagement pic (if you had a session).  You could get those made now so they'll be ready to use right away.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    Thanks everyone!  I wasn't sure and you all make very good points.  I'll get to writing now :0)
  • Options
    I know many people wait until they have photos back to send out their thank you notes, but 90% of the time, I think it takes too long and I end up wondering "where is their thank you note? Its been forever".  So if someone gave you a gift before the wedding, it will look even worse if you wait.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards