Registry and Gift Forum

Unique registry items--where to register?

Hi gals,

We're hoping to register for some unique, creative items such as house cleaning services and home meal delivery services since we don't really need much stuff. Does anyone know of any unique registry sites to do this? Thanks!

Re: Unique registry items--where to register?

• No... I would just make a very small list of some upgrades, which will imply that you want cash.  You can use the cash toward these things.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ditto Hoffse.  I would seriously side eye someone that had a meal delivery service or house cleaning service on a registry.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_unique-registry-items-where-to-register?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:70e04eac-48b2-4ae2-b2bc-6371e9bdce8dPost:3b751a4e-378c-47b2-9d35-dab9b45264b7">Re: Unique registry items--where to register?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ditto Hoffse.  I would seriously side eye someone that had a meal delivery service or house cleaning service on a registry.
    Posted by gurrlballa10[/QUOTE]

This.  And gurrlballa - I love that hat!  My husband is all about them and they're super sexdorable (sexy/adorable)
  • In Response to Re:Unique registry itemswhere to register?:[QUOTE]Ditto Hoffse.nbsp; I would seriously side eye someone that had a meal delivery service or house cleaning service on a registry. Posted by gurrlballa10[/QUOTE]

Thirded.
  • Groupon has gift cards, maybe Living Social too? They have all sorts of home, vacation, food etc. On the registry sites as well as the wedding websites I've seen, there is a place to tell more about yourself. Maybe you could say you love the great deals there? It's one of those etiquette sticky situations. You aren't supposed to say what or if you want something but you're supposed to let people know what you want. I would LOVE someone to clean my house but then again if someone got that for me, would I be insulted? A groupon card or something similar would give the giver and receiver options. Do you have a friend or family members to spread the word?
  • Thanks, Mauraacro! I'll check it out. It's cute that people thought I was asking for permission. The great thing about being nontraditional is, well, not being traditional. In our small circle everyone who knows us and our crazy schedules balancing multiple careers, political campaigns, and life itself will think these are the most apppropriate ideas for registry gifts ever. Just because something doesn't conform to an individual's idea of "normal" doesn't make it wrong.

Thus, I would love to hear other creative places to register. Thanks!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_unique-registry-items-where-to-register?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:70e04eac-48b2-4ae2-b2bc-6371e9bdce8dPost:07f997e9-2224-4430-a9b5-27b5fb425568">Re: Unique registry items--where to register?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Groupon has gift cards, maybe Living Social too? They have all sorts of home, vacation, food etc. On the registry sites as well as the wedding websites I've seen, there is a place to tell more about yourself. Maybe you could say you love the great deals there? It's one of those etiquette sticky situations. You aren't supposed to say what or if you want something but you're supposed to let people know what you want. I would LOVE someone to clean my house but then again if someone got that for me, would I be insulted? A groupon card or something similar would give the giver and receiver options. Do you have a friend or family members to spread the word?
    Posted by mauraacro[/QUOTE]
  • I feel that Groupon or Living Social vouchers would be a very poor idea for the following reasons:

1.  They expire.  What if you received, say, eight house cleaning voucers and they all expired within a couple months?  Would you even be able to use them in time?

2.  I have purchased several things off Groupon and I have had experiences where the company went out of business or the employee accepting that Groupon (which can be the case for some things) quit their job and I had to go through a long process of emailing back and forth with Groupon in order to get a credit back to my account.  I don't think that your guests want to deal with that, and I highly doubt that you would want to tell the giver that you couldn't use their gift if they asked how you liked it.

3.  How would people know which ones to give you?  Groupon and LivingSocial vouchers are only around for a few days.  In the fine print, sometimes they specify that they will only go to certain areas of a city (if it were house cleaning or food delivery).  What if someone gave you one that didn't work for you?

I agree that making a small registry is the way to go.  Even if it's twenty items.  There will always be someone who wants to give a traditional gift, and the rest will give you money.  Then you can do what you like.  Over time, dishes break and towels wear out.  If someone is wanting to give you a gift, then you can put things that you need around the house now or in the future on your very small registry.  
  • http://www.depositagift.com/  - Try this website.  Ultimately you're asking for money - but it's a cute way to assign an experience or alternative gift to a monetary donation.
  • Good points about the groupon and living social-type stuff. We will likely do a small registry--maybe on Amazon. Although we usually try to stick with supporting local, independent businesses. But with planning from one coast and marrying on the other coast and people coming from everywhere in between, it might be pragmatic to register at a national store. We already have everything we need from REI, and home improvement isn't a big issue as San Francisco renters. :-)

Thanks for the depositagift site recommendation! That might work.

I'll keep my eye out for other creative registries that incorporate local places that include the unique gifts we're looking for. Registering for gifts is, in itself, asking for money, so I'm not worrying about asking for creative things that our guests know we would use and appreciate even if it doesn't fit into the traditional mold. 
  • I see. So asking for a product is not asking for money but asking for a service is. Silly me....

BTW, no one ever said anything about asking for money. I'm looking to register for gifts that include services in addition to products. Again, I wasn't on here asking for permission from professional message board writers. I'm asking for suggestions from fellow planners if they've come across registry sites that include unique or creative gifts, including the services that I'm looking for. Feel free to, um, "side eye" all you'd like. I'm not here to please you; I'm here to try to get answers to my questions.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_unique-registry-items-where-to-register?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:70e04eac-48b2-4ae2-b2bc-6371e9bdce8dPost:657ea9e4-63cc-4a12-9222-570473a95210">Re: Unique registry items--where to register?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Registering for gifts is NOT asking for money.  It's a wish list that nobody actually has to use, and it's accepted that a couple needs certain items to set up housekeeping. Etiquette and tradition are two entirely different things.  It's rude to ask other people to give you some of their cash. The fact that it's a wedding doesn't change this. Cash registries aren't even necessary.  People who want to give you money will write a check and slip it into a card.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]
  • try http://www.zankyou.com. you can create your own gifts so you can register for whatever you want!
  • Services like Living Social, Groupon can not expire, it's a credit. the expiration feature has been challenged in courts. i've used expired Groupons before, you need to call the company that owns the groupon service and extend it.

j

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_unique-registry-items-where-to-register?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:70e04eac-48b2-4ae2-b2bc-6371e9bdce8dPost:b19c304f-f571-4942-aeac-0739d028e4b7">Re: Unique registry items--where to register?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I feel that Groupon or Living Social vouchers would be a very poor idea for the following reasons: 1.  They expire.  What if you received, say, eight house cleaning voucers and they all expired within a couple months?  Would you even be able to use them in time? 2.  I have purchased several things off Groupon and I have had experiences where the company went out of business or the employee accepting that Groupon (which can be the case for some things) quit their job and I had to go through a long process of emailing back and forth with Groupon in order to get a credit back to my account.  I don't think that your guests want to deal with that, and I highly doubt that you would want to tell the giver that you couldn't use their gift if they asked how you liked it. 3.  How would people know which ones to give you?  Groupon and LivingSocial vouchers are only around for a few days.  In the fine print, sometimes they specify that they will only go to certain areas of a city (if it were house cleaning or food delivery).  What if someone gave you one that didn't work for you? I agree that making a small registry is the way to go.  Even if it's twenty items.  There will always be someone who wants to give a traditional gift, and the rest will give you money.  Then you can do what you like.  Over time, dishes break and towels wear out.  If someone is wanting to give you a gift, then you can put things that you need around the house now or in the future on your very small registry.  
    Posted by HannahandJeremy[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards