Latino Weddings

Padrinos?

Can one please explain to me the purpose and duty of padrinos? How many are you supposed to/can you have? Thank you

Re: Padrinos?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_latino-weddings_padrinos?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:680Discussion:188392c0-4e43-44a0-a942-d6f25c25360fPost:27c35783-59a8-45b5-a88e-30e1d13adbc8">Padrinos?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Can one please explain to me the purpose and duty of padrinos? How many are you supposed to/can you have? Thank you
    Posted by FutureMrsReyna[/QUOTE]
    We are marrying in the Catholic church and there are only a few "required". in our culture, (hispanic), people will have padrinos for the actual reception. e.g. drinks, food, etc. i personally strongly disagree with sponsors. if you can't afford to pay for your wedding, then don't have one. Here are the church padrinos and their meaning.

Padrinos de arras: Symbols of well being and prosperity.

* Padrinos de velación: Witnesses in the marriage. They will be the support in your marriage.

* Padrinos de anillos: They are the relgious influence for you to follow the Catholic faith

Padrinos de lazo: Represent the eternal union.

* Madrinas de ramo: Usually a friend of the bride. the flowers symbolize fertility and this is given to Mary in the church.

* Madrina de Biblia y rosario: A bible and Rosary is provided for your new home. 
  • I
    Thank you so much. I was a little confused on who did what and the reasoning behind it. My sisters SIL had padrinos for EVERYTHING and I wondered why???? She asked my sister and her hubby to pay for the mariachi and they really couldnt afford it since it was a very short engagement and no real time to budget for it. She (the bride) got offended and my sister felt horrible. I dont want to put anyone in that position and I feel the same way about not having sponsors for those things. We are paying for our own wedding, one we can afford, but I did want to include the padrinos for the ceremony.
    Again, thank you so much for laying it out for me. It makes this a lot easier now. :)

n Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_latino-weddings_padrinos?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:680Discussion:188392c0-4e43-44a0-a942-d6f25c25360fPost:85d2b9fc-e620-4e70-9b3d-00b93dad58ef">Re: Padrinos?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Padrinos? : We are marrying in the Catholic church and there are only a few "required". in our culture, (hispanic), people will have padrinos for the actual reception. e.g. drinks, food, etc. i personally strongly disagree with sponsors. if you can't afford to pay for your wedding, then don't have one. Here are the church padrinos and their meaning. Padrinos de arras: Symbols of well being and prosperity. * Padrinos de velación: Witnesses in the marriage. They will be the support in your marriage. * Padrinos de anillos: They are the relgious influence for you to follow the Catholic faith Padrinos de lazo: Represent the eternal union. * Madrinas de ramo: Usually a friend of the bride. the flowers symbolize fertility and this is given to Mary in the church. * Madrina de Biblia y rosario: A bible and Rosary is provided for your new home. 
    Posted by mcda04[/QUOTE]
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_latino-weddings_padrinos?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:680Discussion:188392c0-4e43-44a0-a942-d6f25c25360fPost:84327a7a-eea2-4eb1-a0b8-2a94c7f29ed6">Re: Padrinos?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I Thank you so much. I was a little confused on who did what and the reasoning behind it. My sisters SIL had padrinos for EVERYTHING and I wondered why???? She asked my sister and her hubby to pay for the mariachi and they really couldnt afford it since it was a very short engagement and no real time to budget for it. She (the bride) got offended and my sister felt horrible. I dont want to put anyone in that position and I feel the same way about not having sponsors for those things. We are paying for our own wedding, one we can afford, but I did want to include the padrinos for the ceremony. Again, thank you so much for laying it out for me. It makes this a lot easier now. :) n Response to Re: Padrinos? :
    Posted by FutureMrsReyna[/QUOTE]
    Yep. same thing with my SIL. :) the fam paid for EVERYTHING! I told my bf i didn't wait this long to get married to have other people pay for my party. haha. we're also paying for the wedding ourselves but the padrinos for the ceremony were a must per our church, when we started selecting it really made it special. good luck. you're very welcome. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards