Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cake pulls...

We are going to do the cake pulls but I am unsure exactly how it works... Does the bride pull or just the bridesmaids? Can I include my hostess' and let them pull as well? What are the do's and dont's?!

Re: Cake pulls...

• RogueQueenRogueQueen member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What is a cake pull???
  • edited December 2011
    You might want to post this over on your regional board. I know I'm not familiar with the tradition!
  • akg0053akg0053 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

From what I understand, the tradition (at least according to FI's family who are all from NOLA) is that you bake the charms into the bottom layer of the cake and obviously attach them to a satin ribbon. You have your unmarried bridesmaids and any female family members that are unmarried pull a charm before you and your new DH cut the cake.

Each charm has a meaning. Usually there is usually a ring, thimble, a fleur de lis, etc. The ring means "going to marry next," etc. You can google what they all mean.
    Anyway, in my personal opinion, I think you should be able to have cake pulls whenever and in whatever cake you want. I also think you can change the tradition to better fit what you want, and if you want to include the hostesses then that's perfectly fine.

As far as etiquette goes, I would say that if you decide to invite more people than just the bridesmaids, be sure to make it even. For example, if I have two little sisters that aren't married, I wouldn't let one of them pull and not let the other one. That's considered (or used to be, anyway) rude.

HTH!

118 image
    Not caring about missing RSVPs because there aren't any rocks!
  • akg0053akg0053 member
    edited December 2011

Also, you can usually provide the pulls and give them to your baker. They will probably know how to put them into the cake without much issue.

We are doing cake pulls and having most of our unmarried family and bridesmaids pull a ribbon.

118 image
  • CA2MT4EveRCA2MT4EveR member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Never heard of such a thing!
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • edited December 2011
    sounds different. . .
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own." "Who doesn't LOVE candy?" Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • janedoe1113ajanedoe1113a member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's a cool idea, but I'd be worried about getting the cake messed up before you cut it.
  • edited December 2011
    idk if they are baked into the cake or set under the cake.....maybe that just how i understood it.
  • pandasquishypandasquishy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Since they're like good luck charms I think only the bridesmaid's pull them. You've already had the luck they give because you're the one getting married.
    imageimage
    Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
    Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • akg0053akg0053 member
    edited December 2011

Yes, you can put them under the bottom or between the layers. If you put them between the layers the cake won't get messed up if it's done properly. Also, the charms are supposed to be close to the edges. Sorry I forgot to include that part.

118 image
  • mila0270mila0270 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For my sister's we placed the charms under the bottom layer so that the satin ribbons were not messed up.  Each bridesmaid, MOH, etc., pulled one.  I think six come in a set.  I know that oriental trading sells them.
  • LasairionaLasairiona member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's a tradition from Victorian times that is not central to any particular region of the US. For that reason, many people don't do it. But it is intended strictly for the bridesmaids as the charms that are somehow baked into the cake (but yet the ribbon isn't affected at all....) supposedly tell their fortunes as to what their romantic futures hold in store for them.

I would be wondering how they are supposed to pull them out without completely destroying the cake in the process, which will happen.
  • Knot AnnieKnot Annie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had cake pulls in my wedding cake. I had 6 (one for each BM.) I did give them to the baker and I think they were in-between one of the layers (this was just over 6 years ago, mind you). I do know that they pulled out quite easily and do not remember the cake being messed up at all because they are small and pretty flat. But then again, it's cut after anyway. I think that we did this right after Nate and I cut our cake.

One of the PPs was correct in that they are all different and symbolize something like luck, love etc.

HTH
    Tweet? Me too! Have you checked out our My Real Wedding Gallery for ideas? Upload your photos here and be featured on The Knot!
  • akg0053akg0053 member
    edited December 2011
    Actually Lasairiona, I see it done in the south way more than I see it anywhere else. I see it done most in Louisiana.... almost every wedding I've been to that involved a couple from that area had it, and the guests knew what it was so it wasn't "new" for them.
    118 image
  • edited December 2011
    Every time I have part of this at a wedding they were iced into the bottom layer at the bottom of the cake. It is always a good time seeing who is going to get what pull. It always seems like the BM that pulls the one that means next to have a baby quickly tries to pawn it off on one of the other girls. I love this and definitely plan on doing it at my wedding. Since most of my friends are married and many with kids I will definitely have to choose the ones I want carefully. Mignon Faget, a New Orleans jewelry designer, makes some really beautiful pulls. The best part is you can put he one you pulled on a chain and wear it.
  • edited December 2011

At the one wedding I attended where the bride had cake pulls, she invited all of her closest friends up to pull one, married or not.  It was a great way, I though, to honor those friends that she was close to or had a special relationship with, but maybe weren't included in the party.

I'm actually going to try and incorporate a different version of this idea into my tossing bouquet--instead of having one bouquet, the flowers won't be tied together.  When I throw it (hopefully), the stems will scatter and lots of ladies will be able to grab a flower, but only some will have a charm on them.  I think it will be fun to see who ends up with what, and I won't have to worry about drawing the line among my friends. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards