Georgia-Savannah

10 Downings Ceremony + Reception?

Hi There,

I'm planning a November wedding in Savannah.  I have 10 Downings booked for our reception, but have not decided on a plan for the ceremony yet.  I want something extremely simple (I had originally considered a courthouse ceremony!), but my fiance insists that all guests attend the ceremony.  We will have absolutely no more than 50 guests - perhaps as low as 35.  

I am planning my wedding from out of state and can not visit any of the venues to see for myself!

I am considering holding our ceremony in the 10 Downing room - guests would be seated at their dinner tables and we would come down a space between the tables.  Has anyone seen the 10 Downing space? If so, what are your thoughts on this plan?  I read that the venue can seat upto 86 guests.  

Also, thoughts on a DJ in that small space?

Thank you!!!

Re: 10 Downings Ceremony + Reception?

• iluvmytxrgriluvmytxrgr member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I have seen the space at 10 Downing.  While it is a great place for a small reception or rehersal dinner, in my opinion, I wouldn't do a ceremony there.  There are beautiful squares in Savannah that would be great places for a small ceremony.  There are several squares with gorgeous fountains.  Crawford and Whitfeild squares have pretty little gazebos.  Others have beautiful oak trees dripping with with Spanish moss. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I agree; I am having my rehearsal dinner at 10 Downing.  The space is BEAUTIFUL...you will love it.  But, it is likely a bit tight for the ceremony in addition to the reception. But, if you are only having 35-50 guests, you will definitely have space for a DJ and dance space...that will fit easily.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the info! I'm planning from Seattle, so it's great to hear other positive things about the space since I can't come see it for myself!
  • edited December 2011

I think you could have your ceremony there but it would be difficult to "flip" the room from chairs to chairs & tables if you aren't going into another area during cocktail hour or something. I agree with the posters about trying a square. It is affordable and beautiful.

• edited December 2011
    Remember that if you have the ceremony outside, you'll need to have a Plan B in case of incliment weather.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards