Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Beverages, beverages and more beverages

Hi. 
I hope this is the right board.  I have a question about refreshments.

Our ceremony is getting done around 5:00.  Dinner starts at 6:30 (picture time).
During that break, i will have hot appetizers and hand-made "thank you" chex mix.
The bar will be open and we'll have alcohol and mixers.

During dinner, there will be water served to the tables.
After dinner, i'll have coffee available on the cupcake table.

Question:  do we need punch too, or is the bar enough?
thanks!!

Re: Beverages, beverages and more beverages

• PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As long as there are non-alcoholic beverages available at the bar, I don't think you need punch.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with Peavy. I also think you should have an alternative to coffee with dessert. Maybe tea or hot chocolate.

If there will be kids, I'd make sure juice is available throughout the reception.

Also, it's considered bad luck to toast with water. So whenever the toasting is, there should be something besides water, alcohol, or coffee available for toasting by those who don't drink alcohol or coffee. Iced tea is a common option.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think you need punch as long as you have non-alcoholic options.  It can be nice to offer a non-soda option, though, but that can be iced tea, lemonade, juice, or punch. 

Are you having poured wine during dinner?  I think that's a nice touch, because people don't have to get up if they need a refill or want to switch to wine for the meal.  
  • kbn22273kbn22273 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks all.  I think i'll tell the bartender to add juices to our mixer list to cover everything, and i'll have the coffee out before hand too.

for the question of poured wine.  We're not having poured wine, but we are having wine at each place setting.  We bottled our own, and have 1/4 sized bottles as one of the favors.  We're having wine glasses and bottle openers available
  • FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_beverages-beverages-beverages?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:0d0c0f0d-a615-46de-8444-df53ba332814Post:52a36965-543b-4164-a35f-178d4eb20577">Re: Beverages, beverages and more beverages</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with Peavy. I also think you should have an alternative to coffee with dessert. Maybe tea or hot chocolate. If there will be kids, I'd make sure juice is available throughout the reception. Also, it's considered bad luck to toast with water. So whenever the toasting is, there should be something besides water, alcohol, or coffee available for toasting by those who don't drink alcohol or coffee. Iced tea is a common option.
    Posted by ElisabethJoanne[/QUOTE]
    This! :)

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards