• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
September 2011 Weddings

Question of the Day...

Quick back story: I was in line at Target, the woman in front of me was paying, the cashier said to her "Happy Holidays" The customer flipped out on the cashier and said "It's Merry Christmas actually, you need to say Merry Christmas to me" The cashier explained that everyone is different and Happy HOlidays works for everyone.

Here's the Question: For those that celebrate Christmas, do you get mad when someone (who I'm only assuming is just trying to be nice) says Happy Holidays to you?
For those that celebrate Hannukah, or any other holiday (i'm sorry if I'm unfamiliar with) does it bother you if someone were to say Merry Christmas to you by accident or Happy HOlidays??

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Question of the Day...

• I'm not religious, and I could care less what people say, so long as they're polite.  Even if they were to say "Happy Hanukkah" to me, I'd say it back, even though I'm not Jewish.  I don't know why some people get all up in arms about which greeting gets spoken.  Someone is just trying to be friendly.  Why ruin that by complaining?  We could all just grunt and snarl at each other instead.  So personally, I'm happy with any greeting.
    PitaPata Cat tickers Anniversary
  • That is ridiculous! I would never ever get upset about that!
    rA Anniversary
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    100 books in 2012 - progress 35/100 my read shelf:
    Missy's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Mac, I was going to post something like this!  I'm very curious, because I sent out cards that said "Happy Holidays", but inside I wrote Merry Christmas...even to my two Jewish friends.  I know the one celebrates Christmas, and in the other one I wrote Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukkah, happy new year, etc.

Then on Saturday, my cousin's wife's fb status (who I sent a holiday card and said merry christmas to) said:

"Holiday PSA: The December holidays are a time for togetherness, kindness, and brotherhood. Although Christmas may be the dominant holiday in the US, please do not forget that there are many different beliefs (and non-beliefs). If you are a Christian, and Christmas is a religious holiday for you, good for you. That's your personal (private) belief. When sending holiday cards, however, please be mindful of friends' and families' own beliefs. Just as you likely wouldn't send a religious Christmas card to your Jewish friend, don't send one to those of us who are humanists either."

Not gonna lie, it got an eyeroll from me, because I generally eyeroll everything my cousin and his wife said, but I'm curious to know from others.

Baby boy 7.10.13
  • MRadsMRads member
    Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments
    edited December 2011
    I feel like I appreciate that people celebrate different holidays.  Even though I'm a Christian and I celebrate Christmas, I don't get offended when my Jewish friends say Happy Channuak or when nonreligious (and religious) friends say Happy Holidays.  I appreciate the sentiment behind the card, gifts, words, etc, more than the words that are on the cards themselves.

FWIW, I tell my Canadian friends happy Thanksgiving on their Thanksgiving day, but I'll also usually say Happy Thanksgiving to them on US Thanksgiving.  The only person who I try really hard to not say anything to is my coworker who is a Jehovah's Witness...but even he doesn't get offended.  Its almost like a joke with us, because I always ask him what he did for X holiday, and then I get embarrassed, because they don't celebrate holidays.

Baby boy 7.10.13
  • At work I say Happy Holidays a lot.  We have a lot of Jewish or possibly Jewish clients and Jewish top management so I really do not want to offend these people many of which I do not know well.  The greeting of happy holidays therefore comes out most of the time outside of work as well.  I have never heard anyone complain about happy holidays and I feel really bad for anyone who does.  Even if you do not want to celebrate any of the religious holidays, New Year's is a reason to celebrate too so just take it as I am wishing you a happy New Year.  And Ms. Cranky Target Lady, hope you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year so in essence. . . .Happy Holidays Lady.

September 2011 March Siggy Challenge
    We had a great Wedding Party
    image image
  • I would flip that dumbass lady the bird.

Anyone who gets upset about the manner in which someone wishes them happiness is oversensitive and dumb. I don't care if someone wishes me a Happy Hannukah, Happy Ramadan (I know it's not actually Ramadon, just wanted to throw Islam into the mix), Happy Kwanza, Merry Christmas or just happiness in general. The important thing is the feeling behind the message, not whose name it's done in.

People are stupid.
    Rocking the Dress with my Bestie
    Vacation
    Married Bio
    Day Zero / Blog
  • Mandi- seriously? Is she in high school? How unbelievably petty and childish. I would take her off my Christmas card list!
    rA Anniversary
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    100 books in 2012 - progress 35/100 my read shelf:
    Missy's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2011-weddings_question-of-day-9?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:649Discussion:3645f8bc-b0fa-42b4-88a4-5157fe04a528Post:a9f7420c-ce0a-4197-91dc-cb988cceae34">Re: Question of the Day...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Mac, I was going to post something like this!  I'm very curious, because I sent out cards that said "Happy Holidays", but inside I wrote Merry Christmas...even to my two Jewish friends.  I know the one celebrates Christmas, and in the other one I wrote Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukkah, happy new year, etc. Then on Saturday, my cousin's wife's fb status (who I sent a holiday card and said merry christmas to) said: " Holiday PSA: The December holidays are a time for togetherness, kindness, and brotherhood. Although Christmas may be the dominant holiday in the US, please do not forget that there are many different beliefs (and non-beliefs). If you are a Christian, and Christmas is a religious holiday for you, good for you. That's your personal (private) belief. When sending holiday cards, however, please be mindful of friends' and families' own beliefs. Just as you likely wouldn't send a religious Christmas card to your Jewish friend, don't send one to those of us who are humanists either." Not gonna lie, it got an eyeroll from me, because I generally eyeroll everything my cousin and his wife said, but I'm curious to know from others.
    Posted by MRads[/QUOTE]

I would've written on that status: "I don't think you understand what being a humanist means."
    Rocking the Dress with my Bestie
    Vacation
    Married Bio
    Day Zero / Blog
  • let's get things straight- as a person in retail, you are told to say Happy Holidays. If I were to say Merry Christmas, i may offend people.
    If a customer says Merry Christmas to me, or if I know for a fact that they are Christian(they have invited me to church... welcome to my work), then i can wish them a Merry Christmas. But if the company gets sued for me saying Merry Christmas, i will be fired SO FAST.
    image image
    PS Sig Challenge: Rings
    Sept 2011 Sig Challenge: First Kiss
    Anniversary
  • Well, I was going to say something to her, but she is seriously crazy.  She once cried at a restaurant, because she couldn't have a bite of sausage for each bite of waffle that she cut.  And she's my age.  In the comments of that status she wrote about how off-putting it is that friends and family would have the indecency to say Merry Christmas.  What the f ever.

But I am always curious with more balanced people...does it really offend people to get told Merry Christmas?  I try to remember to say Happy Holidays, but sometimes at work or out in the public Merry Christmas just slips out.  I don't mean anything by it.

Baby boy 7.10.13
  • Holy Crap Mandi- that's definitely eye roll worthy.

I haven't heard so much about it in previous years, as I have this year - it's actually kind of annoying.

I couldn't get over the lady in Target and I almost said something to her. She was old and I thought to myself, maybe it's just an age/generation thing...

Eh, I love Christmas, I am Catholic, but i"m not going to get up in arms about someone wishing me :Happy Holidays:

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I can only think of one time this year where I thought it was odd that someone wished me happy holidays. I was having a conversation several months ago with a member where I work. I know for a fact that he's a practicing Christian, and he knows that I am Christian as well. He wished me happy holidays the other day, and I automatically said it back, but thought it was odd since we both know we celebrate Christmas.

Honestly, where I work, we say Merry Christmas all the time, but I don't generally bat an eye if someone says Happy Holidays. To me, it's just kind of whatever, and either way, the message is out there.

Also, that lady at Target sounds crazy. 
    image image
  • Honestly, people are too sensitive. Maybe this woman should live in a bubble in her own home and have a sign on the front door that says "I reserve the right to tell you what you may and may not say to me. Thou shalt not offend me." 

The cashier was just trying to be nice, she on the other hand was a gigantic beeyatch. And FYI to her, Hannukah comes first, like in a couple days, so there. And I also agree with Julia, the poor girl was probably just saying the PC thing that corporate told her to and doing her job.
  • Wow, This makes me know for sure people are weird.

I just say whatever comes out. I don't get mad when people say Merry Christmas, or anything else. It is just nice to be polite to people.
    Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • I don't care one way or another if someone wishes me Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays. I do care, however is someone assumes that everyone shares their beliefs around this time. I really get annoyed with people assume that everyone believes the same things they believe.

However, it really gets under my skin when customers tell me "have a blessed day". Just say "have a nice day", thanks.
    image Anniversary
  • I think I have used both. It doesn't really matter to me, but I do find it annoying when people post stupid tumbler photos that say, "it's merry Christmas" on Facebook. I just want to read your silly status updates nothing too deep. Also domestic disputes and fights are abundant during the holidays. Tonight after leaving a domestic enroute to another domestic I played "it's the most wonderful time of the year" over the PA speakers. Happy holidays!!!
    imagetotes-your call/
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2011-weddings_question-of-day-9?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:649Discussion:3645f8bc-b0fa-42b4-88a4-5157fe04a528Post:091d00ce-e800-4661-8f6f-e084422023b9">Re: Question of the Day...</a>:
    [QUOTE] Tonight after leaving a domestic enroute to another domestic I played "it's the most wonderful time of the year" over the PA speakers. Happy holidays!!!
    Posted by nic9911[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Nic, you crack me up!  I always say happy holidays, just because of Christmas and New Year's and whatever else people want to celebrate.  I do not get offended if someone says Merry Christmas to me and I don't think I've ever offended someone if I've said it, even to a manager I had that celebrated Kwanzaa.  That said, because of switch in careers (pharmacy tech and now a school psychologist), I just say HH and hedge my bets.

</div>
  • Ooh I'll play! I'm a big "Merry Christmas" person. I am not, however, like the lady in target haha. I just love the whole Christmas season that it's just natural for me to be like merry Christmas and "happy holidays" honestly doesn't even enter my mind. I seriously feel like Buddy the Elf sometimes :P

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards