Wedding Invitations & Paper

Invitation wording - Father of the groom is deceased

Hello everyone - 

I am reposting this from my local board - they gave some advice and suggested that I ask here as well.

Sadly, FI's father passed away a few years ago. I was wondering what our invite should say - we are rather traditional, with the ceremony taking place in my family's church.

So:

Mr. and Mrs. Bob Smith request the honor of your presence (I'm just writing this off the top of my head - I would check for proper wording upon printing) blah blah blah - 

my first and middle name

As for FI's name:

Mr. John Jay Doe

or just John Jay? (He's 33, if that makes a difference)

Below his name:

Do I include "son of" information? Son of both of his parents names? Or just his mother's name? 

Thank you so much - I'm just not sure what to do for wording and appreciate the help.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
image95 No
image0 Unknown

Re: Invitation wording - Father of the groom is deceased

• My dad is dead, so it was just my mom on our invites. My FI didn't want his stepdad listed, so ours are:

Mrs. Bride Mom and Mrs. Groom Mom
    request the honor of your presence
    at the marriage of their children

Bride Middle Last

to (or maybe it was "and" .. I forgot)

Groom Middle Last

I'd ask your FI's mom what she wants to do. It's going to affect her the most.
  • Thank you everyone for your advice.  I agree with everything posted. All the information above is what I've always thought about invites.  I will probably have a talk with FI's mother to be sure that I'm not being offensive, however. I understand what is "correct" in terms of invites, but want to make sure it wouldn't hurt anyones' feelings.

I hope by me saying this you don't all feel that I asked for advice knowing I was going to do it my way...cause I really and truly don't know what I will do.  But at least now I know/have confirmed what is traditional and correct in terms of formal wedding etiquette.

My parents are hosting, but she has offered to cover some costs.  But, she is not the "host" of the event, but I fear sometimes the "proper" thing isn't always "right" in terms of relatonships, ya know? You've definitely all given me a lot to think about, and I really appreciate it a lot.

Thank you again - and happy planning to all of you!  :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards