Wedding Party

How to arrange the wedding party?

Ok so the BM walks with the MOH and any couples go together.  So what if you don't have any couples.  Do you let the BMs pick who they walk with?  Do you arrange by height (even if tallest girl MOH is walking with shortest guy BM already)?  If you do it by height is the shortest closest to you so the tallest looks shorter on the lower steps of the altar or furthest from you?
What are you doing? 

Re: How to arrange the wedding party?

• Height, alphabetically, by how long you've known them, drawing names out of a hat... whatever floats your boat.
  • I don't want to arange my friends by who I like the best or something like that so I just decided to do height, it doesn't really matter that much. If one of the girls asked to switch that would be fine too.

• DH and I did it randomly.  He actually drew numbers for them because he couldn't decide (and I guess that's just what guys do when they can't make decisions).
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited April 2010
    I forgot to say what we're doing.  There are only 3 people on each side and intra-wedding party dynamics are probably determining the order.  AKA one person did not like another so we just won't pair them for the walk down the aisle in case it's still an issue.
  • FI just paired them up with my girls ahead of time. I think he kinda did it by personalities and height. I don't think it really matters.
  • I did it by relationships with each other - and who I wanted to set up with who :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The "couples" walking doesn't mean people who are dating.  It means two people walking together for the 30 seconds it takes to traverse the aisle.  Organize it any way you want to.

Or don't have 2 walk together, have them do a weave:  MOH, BM, bridesmaid, groomsman, etc.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • I would probably do it by height (shortest to tallest), but probably whatever you prefer. 
  • I'm doing it by height because our WP ranges from 6'4" to 5'1"  I've seen on various boards a few time that WP/family members get upset when they find out they are arranged based on who is closest to bride/groom, or even think that is should be done that way. Personally I would have a hard time figuring out who I loved the most out of all my friends.

Chances are you will get to the rehearsal and change your mind based on seeing everyone stand up in order.
    Anniversary
  • suz62984 - Ok you make me feel better....I wasn't even thinking that I'd be able to see it all at the rehearsal and play around with it there.  So I think I'll just list everyone in the program alphabetically and then figure out what looks best at the rehearsal.

The thing is everyone keeps asking who they are walking with and I've let them know that I haven't figured it out and that it was kinda the last thing on my mind.  There's one guy no one really wants to walk with but one person volunteered but if I go by height they wouldn't be matched.  Then there's another guy that several girls want to be paired up with.  Another girl has a guy in mind...ah!  I kinda wanted to do height so that it's random and people dont' think I picked favorites or gave one person thier preference and not another.  It's 30 seconds right?  Who cares right?  But they seem to :/  Another guy is upset that if we do it by height he would potentially be furthest from the groom.  I'll just figure it out at the reception but I wanted to see if there was a standard way that people are doing it. Thanks!
  • Your friends are being 5 year olds! I'd just keep saying "guys, it's a 30 second walk, it doesn't matter at all, so we'll figure it out at the rehearsal."
  • I arranged my girls, my fiance arranged his guys...then he asked one extra guy!  So I wound up asking my 14 year old niece to be a brides maid...We decided all the guys will be waiting at the end of the aisle and only the girls will be walking down...to avoid atleast part of the time having a 14 year old from walking down the aisle with a 26 year old...Granted they will probably be walking back up the aisle together, but not as many eyes will be on them...mostly on us then and the candle lighters at the end. 
  • I think you should do it however you want.  I will say though, if there is a couple in the group, why would you make a man walk with someone other than his wife/GF? I think the social units should stay together. (I guess unless there is a MOH/BM and not together issue)
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • Yeah we will only have them walking together exiting the church and entering the reception so it shouldn't be a stress factor.

CA2MT4EverR - no couples thank goodness so that makes it a little less complicated.  A few members have SO but they aren't in the wedding party.
  • I put my girls alphabetical in the program, so when we got to the rehearsal, they just got in that order.  DH only had 2, so it was BM close to him, GM on the other side.  My sister MOH is a couple with the GM, so she walked out with him and the next bridesmaid walked out with the best man.  

If they are being babies, just come up with something random and tell them to stand in that order.  
  • I voted that I'll let them choose.  By I mean one particular BM will probably tell everyone where they should be, and I'm fine with that.
  • Ours is pretty random and kind of just fell into place.  I don't think it should have to be "uniform" or perfect (i.e. by height, by name, etc).  My friend did hers by height last year but it was so stupid because her husband didn't do his that way so it really didn't matter what height we were as far as who we were walking with.  And some girls don't do the "couples" thing either.  Again, FI and I were both in this wedding last year and my friend didn't have me walk with him.  Was I secretly a little bitter?  Well yeah, it would have been nice if she just let me walk with FI, but since I was the tallest I was stuck at the end.  Of course I would have NEVER thrown a fit about it because it's petty and really not a big deal.  It was only walking down an isle, whoop-de-do. Luckily, mine and FI's WP arrangement just worked so the three couples in our wedding are able to walk together.  I like that they're able to walk with their own husbands and SO's. 

Don't over think it, just line them up however you feel works best!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_arrange-wedding-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:15d0be39-e4a0-41d4-95bf-027bd5880a3bPost:292bb8cb-2c3d-433b-936c-418faccd4bf3">Re: How to arrange the wedding party?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The "couples" walking doesn't mean people who are dating.  It means two people walking together for the 30 seconds it takes to traverse the aisle.  Organize it any way you want to. Or don't have 2 walk together, have them do a weave:  MOH, BM, bridesmaid, groomsman, etc.
    Posted by trix1223[/QUOTE]

I Love this idea. especially when I have 5 girls and 6 guys. Its perfect to have them go down every other and weave. I can't believe I didnt think of this  :) Thanks so much
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards