New Jersey

2 envelopes? (a little long)

Okay you know sometimes when you just want to smack yourself about stressing over the stupidest little things??? Well that is me right now.  So I always thought everyone did the 2 envelope thing for invitations.  The invitation/response card/directions, etc go into an envelope (inner envelope) and then that goes into another bigger envelope (outer envelope).  The outer envelope has the name and address, stamp, etc and the inner just has the names.  I thought this was standard and remember some people in my family doing this as well as a recent friend.  However when I went to 2 invitation people they both told me that they dont do this anymore.  And one even said that the less expensive your invitation, you usually do 2 envelopes.  I would think it would be the other way around- if your invitation is more expensive you would want to "protect" the invitation with double envelopes.  The invitation lady that I like best said she can give me another envelope but its not one that will fit snug into the other- its usually 1/4 inch bigger but hers are 1/2 inch bigger.  Do I stress over the extra 1/4 inch (because it like leaves some room on the ends) or do I just do the 1 envelope?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: 2 envelopes? (a little long)

• rlavachrlavach member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_2-envelopes-little-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:2f577e86-aaa4-40ae-a263-82f447f2e4a4Post:08da1a91-0743-410d-be68-8a2743286ce8">2 envelopes? (a little long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay you know sometimes when you just want to smack yourself about stressing over the stupidest little things??? Well that is me right now.  So I always thought everyone did the 2 envelope thing for invitations.  The invitation/response card/directions, etc go into an envelope (inner envelope) and then that goes into another bigger envelope (outer envelope).  The outer envelope has the name and address, stamp, etc and the inner just has the names.  I thought this was standard and remember some people in my family doing this as well as a recent friend.  However when I went to 2 invitation people they both told me that they dont do this anymore.  And one even said that <strong>the less expensive your invitation, you usually do 2 envelopes</strong>.  I would think it would be the other way around- if your invitation is more expensive you would want to "protect" the invitation with double envelopes.  The invitation lady that I like best said she can give me another envelope but its not one that will fit snug into the other- its usually 1/4 inch bigger but hers are 1/2 inch bigger.  Do I stress over the extra 1/4 inch (because it like leaves some room on the ends) or do I just do the 1 envelope?
    Posted by Jacky225[/QUOTE]
    It's usually the opposite. Two envelopes are definitely still done. I've received plenty and still see them offered. I'm personally not a fan of it, so I'm not doing it. I'm also doing RSVP postcards so there is no little RSVP envelope either.<div>
    </div><div>If that's what you want, go somewhere else. Maybe they don't do that anymore because not enough people were requesting it. </div>
  • GiaspoGiaspo member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Two envelopes are still done... but we opted to do only one.  And no tissue.  The difference in cost was a lot, and we put that $$ into an upgraded invitation.

I know what you mean about the extra 1/2 inch... but, when the envelope is filled with all of the different layers (invite, rsvp card, etc.) it might be full enough that the invite doesn't slide around and the extra room will be minimized.  Maybe she can show you a fully-loaded sample?
  • cindyn9178cindyn9178 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Two envelopes are definitely still done. We ordered ours online and all of them included the two envelopes.. I've seen it done many, many times recently. It seems like the ones that don't have the two envelopes are when people make the invites themselves. It isn't neccessary, and probably more of a 'traditional" thing.
  • edited December 2011
    Rlavach- I agree I would think its the opposite.  But this invitation person has been in business for years and apparently says it the other way.  But I have seen the double envelope both with expensive invitations and less expensive.

Giaspo- she showed us what it would look like with just the invitation.  I didn't think it was a big deal but of course my mother is the one putting thoughts into my head lol.  Its only 50 cents per envelope so its not the money nor would it really upgrade our invitation.  I love the sample she did and it has everything I wanted and all within my budget- actually below my budget.  First thing I came in below budget lol. But you make a great point that once the other papers are in there the chances of it sliding around is slim.

Cindy- totally agree its not necessary and its more of a traditional thing.  Which is why I am stressing over it because I feel like I have to do it bc its traditional. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • sgdc2011sgdc2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ours came with the second envelope. Something to think about it is, sometimes the outer envelope gets ruined going through the mail, the inner envelope is more of a protection cover for the invite.
  • edited December 2011
    Yes I totally agree and I am putting crystals on my invitation too.  So I would be afraid they could fall off and that second layer helps protect it!  But do you think its a big deal if the envelope doesn't fit completely snug?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    We're only doing one.  I couldn't see the point in the extra costs associated with two.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    We did double envelopes, not because it was traditional, but because we had a lot of inserts: the invite, the reception card, the response card and envelope, directions, hotel information and a card with our website information.

The inner envelope keeps all those pieces of paper together. And it's practical - if guests ruin the outer envelope while trying to open it, they still have the inner envelope to hold everything.

If we did pocketfolds, or had the ceremony and reception at the same location, we would have just used one envelope.

We got our invitations from Wedding Paper Divas. Inner envelopes are available as an option, and they charged us 30 cents for each.
  • edited December 2011
    I think do whatever makes you happy.

I really like the postcard idea because I want as little in there as possible.  I also wonder why you can't just put all the info on one piece, like ceremony, reception, website.  Then have a response postcard and a little insert for the hotel...hmm
  • edited December 2011
    Are you doing the hotel insert from the company or making your own?  Maybe if you made your own you could put the website and hotel on its own card.  

Just thinking out loud.
  • edited December 2011
    Well, here's my story.

We had to have directions for two locations, and they were so detailed they filled up both sides of a 3x5 index card that we designed. There wasn't room on that card to put the information for the hotels (yes, two hotels), so we designed another insert with that information on them. (If we used the cards the hotels gave us, that would have added an extra piece of paper!)

As for the website info, there wasn't any room on the directions insert for that either. It would have looked horrible on the main invite. We didn't want to put it on the hotel insert, since people who aren't planning to stay at a hotel would probably just throw it away. And people who wouldn't be coming to the wedding at all probably wouldn't even look at the directions insert. Putting the website information on its own card was the best way to tell people that hey, we're on the internets!

So, ta-da! Paper bomb! Hopefully your wedding isn't as complicated as mine was!
  • rlavachrlavach member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_2-envelopes-little-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:2f577e86-aaa4-40ae-a263-82f447f2e4a4Post:c734099d-a847-4e04-b62a-e377ccc5c780">Re: 2 envelopes? (a little long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think do whatever makes you happy. I really like the postcard idea because I want as little in there as possible.  I also wonder why you can't just put all the info on one piece, like ceremony, reception, website.  Then have a response postcard and a little insert for the hotel...hmm
    Posted by mercy4[/QUOTE]
    That's exactly what I'm doing. But it really depends on your situation. As you see with the PP, if you have multiple locations and a lot of info to give, it's not so easy. Although our ceremony & reception are in 2 different places, we did a 6x9 invite to fit it all. I started a website but never finished it, so I didn't bother including that. <div>
    </div><div>I have a printed map from the reception hall & then my postcard. That's it! I agree that I wanted to cut the cost of shipping, and also cut the paper loss. The less paper, the more eco-friendly!</div>
  • edited December 2011
    I am only doing one envelope. The person creating my invites is sending me special handling instructions for the post office so that nothing happens when it goes through the mail.

I think it's a matter of two things: preference and what the stationary company offers. My invite is a very thick flat card - the card stock is layered. There is an organza ribbon that is wrapped around the back that holds my inserts together and in place. Nothing falls out because the organza ribbon is flat and very tightly bound to the back of the invitation.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards